cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering from failed BIOS update and sidestepping cpu over temperature error

dusank
Level 7
Hello,

I have a new Crosshair VI Extreme board with a Ryzen 1800x CPU and I have stumbled into 2 problems. I have tried to solve the second problem through a BIOS update which failed and created problem #1.

Problem #1
I have tried updating BIOS with ASUS EZ Flash. Selected Internet, DHCP; BIOS downloaded without problems but then the update process started and during the beginning phase of it the board suddenly restarted.

Now the board does not boot up properly: the graphics card stays blank (black screen), Q-CODE shows error "4b" and the Q-LED DRAM is lit. The CPU cooler (H80i v2) does not even start.

I have Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R memory and it worked fine at 3200 MHz prior to the BIOS update. I have tried removing and reinserting it but the problem prevails.

I have tried flashbacking the BIOS per instructions here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780455-ASUS-Crosshair-VI-Hero-BIOS-Brick

After cca. 3 minutes the BIOS button stopped blinking but STAYED LIT! After turning on the motherboard the graphics card still stays blank, Q-CODE shows error "07" and the Q-LED DRAM is lit.

If I start the system with removed DRAM everything stays the same but the Q-CODE changes to error "4b" again. After reinstalling DRAM Q-CODE shows error "07".

Seems my BIOS is damaged or is the board faulty? How do I proceed to restore a working BIOS?

Problem #2
I have a Ryzen 1800x cpu and thus it reports 20 degrees celsius more. With a Corsair H80i v2 cooler I get cca. a 80 degree celsius reading in BIOS so the CPU should be running at 60 degrees celsius. I suppose this is acceptable until the thermal material breaks in.

The problem is that at boot time I get a "cpu over temperature error press f1 to run setup" message. How do I proceed with booting the system, I seem to only be able to go to BIOS from here. I was hoping that a BIOS update would solve this issue but stumbled into problem #1
7 REPLIES 7

dusank
Level 7
Fortunately I have been able to resolve problem #1 via BIOS flashback. I realized that the instructions I was using were written for the hero board and thus stated to rename the cap file to c6h.cap. When I changed the filename to c6e.cap the flashback suceeded and the board is operational again. Still I do not understand why the BIOS button was blinking for 3 minutes then stayed lit when I had the wrong filename on the USB stick before. That confused me into believing that I got the filename right ...

Can you please tell me whether cca. 80 degree celsius is a normal reading with a Ryzen 1800x CPU without any OC in BIOS? Should I be worried? I have used Arctic Silver TIM that was stored for over 10 years in a fridge. May it be that the higher CPU temperature is caused by the age of the TIM paste? Or is it more likely that the Corsair H80i v2 cooler is damaged?

I have solved problem #2 temporarily by disabling F1 error messages in the BIOS which allowed me to boot a OS installation flash disk.

lightknightrr
Level 8
When is the last time you updated the Corsair LINK software? It was over reporting temperatures by 20 degrees C.

As for an H80i...you are a brave man; I've switched to a H115i, with large exhaust fans to keep my 1800x as cool as possible (and that's using CoolLab's Liquid Copper thermal material).

I just got the components 4 days ago. Yesterday I have downloaded the newest version of Corsair LINK and it is reporting the same CPU temperature as the BIOS - over 80 degree celsius without load.

A better cooler than H80i unfortunately does not fit into my case. Which case are you using?

Can anyone please point me to information about normal temperatures for a Ryzen 1800x CPU with a H80i cooler? I am not sure what to expect.

I have removed the cooler and reapplied Arctic Silver TIM today. Unfortunately the temperature rises to over 80 degree celsius again. Is it likely that the H80i cooler is broken (the pump probably) or can there be some other reason for this situation?

dusank wrote:
I just got the components 4 days ago. Yesterday I have downloaded the newest version of Corsair LINK and it is reporting the same CPU temperature as the BIOS - over 80 degree celsius without load.

A better cooler than H80i unfortunately does not fit into my case. Which case are you using?

Can anyone please point me to information about normal temperatures for a Ryzen 1800x CPU with a H80i cooler? I am not sure what to expect.

I have removed the cooler and reapplied Arctic Silver TIM today. Unfortunately the temperature rises to over 80 degree celsius again. Is it likely that the H80i cooler is broken (the pump probably) or can there be some other reason for this situation?

80 degree celsius on idle or bios is definitely not right. I have a H80i V2 and in bios it show ~35 degree with ~1.380 voltage, so is certainly a problem either with the cooler or how you mounted it or the TIM thermal properties. May I ask if you are using AM3 mounting backplate?

AM3 mounting backplate is a metal plate at the back side of the board into which the H80i long screws attach? If so I did not change that, the cooler came only with screws to replace the ones provided by the board.

I have used AM4 screws which when attached fit just nicely into the AMD bracket.

lightknightrr
Level 8
I'm using a Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1, modified (manually, with a hacksaw) to fit a H115. Normally fits a H100.

Thanks for the help, I've replaced the cooler and all is fine now.