cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid array issue asus rog x570 crosshair viii extreme

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Strange issue building raid array with this board....nvme m.2's not showing as raid array in slot 1 and 2 or 1and 3( directly below cpu )..only 1 drive shows...put both drives in expansion card...both drives show and raid array can be created...put (1) drive in expansion card and (1) drive in slot 1...both drives show and raid array can be created. Seems very strange that this is the only way to create a raid array.
Thoughts anyone ???
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D
9 REPLIES 9

Sackdragon
Level 7
In BIOS, under Onboard Devices, you have to set the PCIE mode to get the system to pick up the other 2 SSDs on the board. Otherwise, it defaults to the 1 M.2 slot closest to the CPU with the both pcei slots enabled. To get all 3 M.2 slots active you will have to disable the 2nd pcie port as the bandwidth is shared with the M.2 ports. See page xiii of the manual for high-level details.

That being said, I had issues with this RAID setup and after a couple of rebuilds I ended up scrapping the idea.

Sackdragon wrote:
In BIOS, under Onboard Devices, you have to set the PCIE mode to get the system to pick up the other 2 SSDs on the board. Otherwise, it defaults to the 1 M.2 slot closest to the CPU with the both pcei slots enabled. To get all 3 M.2 slots active you will have to disable the 2nd pcie port as the bandwidth is shared with the M.2 ports. See page xiii of the manual for high-level details.

That being said, I had issues with this RAID setup and after a couple of rebuilds I ended up scrapping the idea.

Was just about to create a post highlighting that issue, my 2nd NVME kept on getting undetected every time I plugged in the main on the 1st slot. I'll apply your suggested changes and will update my post whether it worked or not.

Edit: That resolved my issue! The actual location for the settings to change is Advanced > Onboard Devices > CPU PCIE Configuration Mode > PCIEX16_1 + M.2_2 + M.2_3

Sackdragon wrote:

Can you please help me I recently bought this mobo and running it with ryz9.
I was sad when I got to know that I have to share the GPU speed with bottom 2 M.2 slots so disabled bottom M.2 and Installed my one Nvme 1TB in provided Fimm.2 now my system carsh randomly. I 100% sure it's because of Dimm.2 as I have tried to remove it with ssd and without one. It's definitely Dimm.2 any help would be appreciated. �
Sus specs: Ryzen 9 5950x
138GB Gskill Ram
4090 Aorus Xtreme.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
I glad to see that this method actually solves the creation of the raid array on this board....only problem is that this seems to disable the 2nd pcie x lane which inturns disables the 2nd rtx 3090 .
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
I glad to see that this method actually solves the creation of the raid array on this board....only problem is that this seems to disable the 2nd pcie x lane which inturns disables the 2nd rtx 3090 .

Hello, I recently bought this same motherboard. I have I problem with it and need your help.
I installed my main M.2 nvme drive on M. 2_1 slot and my secondary M.2 nvme drive on M. 2_3 slot.
My problem is that with this configuratiom, the GPU installed on PCI_1 slot, runs at x8 speed.
In BIOS, if I set PCIe_1 Slot + PCIe_2 slot, runs at x16 speed, but the secondary M.2 drive on M.2_3 slot is not recognized in BIOS and Windows.
In the next BIOS option, (I don't remember what it says), GPU runs at x8 speed too, but M2_3 is still not recognized,
and in the third option, it's recognized, but, like I said, GPU runs only at x8 speed.
How can I solve this problem? Do I need to install the secondary M.2 drive on the M.2 DIMM module??
Which M.2 slots connect to CPU and which connect to the chipset?? I can't find this information on the motherboard's user manual....
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Javi7269 wrote:
Hello, I recently bought this same motherboard. I have I problem with it and need your help.
I installed my main M.2 nvme drive on M. 2_1 slot and my secondary M.2 nvme drive on M. 2_3 slot.
My problem is that with this configuratiom, the GPU installed on PCI_1 slot, runs at x8 speed.
In BIOS, if I set PCIe_1 Slot + PCIe_2 slot, runs at x16 speed, but the secondary M.2 drive on M.2_3 slot is not recognized in BIOS and Windows.
In the next BIOS option, (I don't remember what it says), GPU runs at x8 speed too, but M2_3 is still not recognized,
and in the third option, it's recognized, but, like I said, GPU runs only at x8 speed.
How can I solve this problem? Do I need to install the secondary M.2 drive on the M.2 DIMM module??
Which M.2 slots connect to CPU and which connect to the chipset?? I can't find this information on the motherboard's user manual....
Thanks in advance for any help!!

It tells you in the manual
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_EXTREME/E19004_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII...
Page Xiii

M2_1 (top) is controlled by X570 chipset
The lower two M2_2 & M2_3 are CPU

Not sure why you care about GPU running x8 vs x16 on PCIe 4.0 when not a single card on the market today can use all bandwidth from x8 PCIe 3.0 slot.

RedSector73 wrote:
It tells you in the manual
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_EXTREME/E19004_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII...
Page Xiii

M2_1 (top) is controlled by X570 chipset
The lower two M2_2 & M2_3 are CPU

Not sure why you care about GPU running x8 vs x16 on PCIe 4.0 when not a single card on the market today can use all bandwidth from x8 PCIe 3.0 slot.

Thanks for your reply, but I think you're wrong.
After Google search, found a video on Youtube that explains in detail PCIe lanes for this motherboard.
M2_1 slot, (under CPU), is controlled by CPU, not chipset, like you said. It shares lanes with PCIe 16_1, 16_2 and M.2_2 and M.2_3 slots.
That's why if I connect an SSD drive on M.2_2 or M.2_3 slot, GPU automatically runs at 8x speed instead of 16x.
I need to install the secondary M.2 drive on the DIMM M.2_1 or 2_2 module because this module connects to the chipset X570.
I think Asus must describe this connection options better on it's User Manual.
If I'm wrong I will appreciate any help or correction for this problem.

OK, maybe you think it's OK to run my RX 6900XT on 8x link speed, but I did not bought this board and GPU to run at half speed. It's a nonsense for me.
Anyway, really appreciate your help. Thx.

marti77
Level 9
When this board has so high pricetag it should be possible to choose wich pcie slots run at full speed with m2 slots populated.
Now you have to use m.2 card to use more than 1 m2 drive and the other two slots on motherboard is waste of space and money.
Even on my old z370 maximus x formula i only lost couple sata ports when using both m2 slots.
And my old z390 maximus xi formula run at full speed with both m2 slots populated.
Its a pure design flaw no way to dispute that.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Raid Array on this board will only work with an M.2 in the M.2 expansion card and the 2nd M.2 in the first M.2 slot.
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D