cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Final" Performance Results for my Ryzen 1700 (non-x)

entropic-remnan
Level 9
At this point the BIOS as of 9943/45 are so good that this probably represents my "final" configuration. I put "final" in quotes because tweak happens. Still, I think this is pretty much where I can get this hardware to and I'm not unhappy.

Basic specs are:

• Ryzen 7 1700 clocked at 3850 mhz
  • Set "Performance Bias" to "None" in the BIOS for this test
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Dual Rank, 2 x 8 gb, clocked at 3200
  • MSI Gaming X GTX-1070 boosting consistently to 2000 mhz and sometimes a little higher

Here's Cinebench results followed by a bit of dicussion.

I was not blessed with a "golden" 1700 sample and it takes about 1.4 volts just to get to 3850 mhz but this thing still beats the pants off of my old I7-3770K clocked to 4500 mhz. Although the single thread numbers look not so impressive, Cinebench never picked up my overclock in the data so although the 3770K shows a 158 single core score, that was at a much higher clock speed than the 1700.

Certainly I am impressed with how far AMD has come with IPC on this generation of chips. Bravo!

Yes, Intel can beat them but to get the TOTAL performance you'd have to pay a lot more. I paid $309 USD at Micro Center for this chip and I feel it's a steal. I think I paid nearly that years ago for a USED 3770K for my system.

So those of you who think I'm a meany to poor Asus and AMD take heart -- I will still hold their feet to the fire but they are beginning to deliver the goods with AGESA 1.0.0.6. Getting my memory up to rated speed has made me happy "in principle" as well as improved the multi-threaded performance.

Keep it up there, guys.

I'll probably drop in some other results like Geekbench 4 and Superposition soon. Superposition is more about the card than the processor but it's a system and the processor must still perform.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.
5 REPLIES 5

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Okay, here's some other performance metrics on this system. I know I'm "middle of the pack" with these so these aren't bragging rights -- just a report on where it is.

The one that may seem higher than you might expect is the Superposition bench. It's on 1080p extreme and that score comes from a 700 mhz overclock on the GTX-1070 memory which it takes very well with no problems. The 1070 (and probably Pascal in general) does seem to benefit a lot from memory clocking. If I leave the default clock speed for mem on this card I get about a 3100 result.

Geek Bench 4:

Superposition:

AIDA64 Memory and Cache:

Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

I didnt get 9943 cause i thought it was only for 4 stick of ram so im still on 1201. But sincw it worked for you maybe ill change mine. I still got work todo.

i didn't get 9943 bios i thought i read that was made only for 4 sticks or ram. guess i'll have to go try it out since you're only useing 2 yourself. so i've still got some work todo.

i donno why it keeps posting my pic sideways

ps; after finally getting 9943 installed i reran this and only change was fps went up to 122. but ram does now read 3200

xoutofmyheadx wrote:
i didn't get 9943 bios i thought i read that was made only for 4 sticks or ram. guess i'll have to go try it out since you're only useing 2 yourself. so i've still got some work todo.

i donno why it keeps posting my pic sideways

ps; after finally getting 9943 installed i reran this and only change was fps went up to 122. but ram does now read 3200

Very good! It's always nice to make some progress even when it's not the final goal, lol.

And I don't know why your pic is sideways but probably something embedded in the photo metadata is incorrect and the boards reading your pics as "landscape" instead of "portrait".

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Okay, so some tweak did happen.

First of all, I forgot to mention that I turned up the CPU Power Limit to 120% in the Digi Power settings of Extreme Tweaker. Same for the SOC Power LImit. That CPU one was critical to getting to 3850 stable for me. I presume that otherwise when you hit the power limit it reduces voltage. Considering the power limit for a 1700 chip is probably set lower than a 1700X or 1800X, this may be key to some of us getting a higher clockspeed. 3900 stable is still out of reach for me though.

Second of all, major changes to the memory performance. I set the DRAM voltage to 1.5 volts and it allowed me to run 1T as well as Gear Down Enabled. That had some paradoxical effects: it sped up memory read/write/copy but very slightly worsened latency. Not sure what that's all about.

Anyway, here's a couple of revised benchmarks as well as CPU-Z which I did not include before. Note that the CPU-Z is the "new" version with the revised and rescaled benchmarks so don't confuse it with the old numbers or you'll think this is TERRIBLE.