cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about audio ports on C6E

Riekopo
Level 9
I have the Crosshair Vi Extreme. I have some questions about the front and read audio ports. I am somewhat of a beginner audiophile. I have a Sennheiser Game Zero, GSP 600, SteelSeries Siberia 800, and will likely soon own the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless. I want to get the best audio quality possible from my motherboard. In the Windows audio settings I have my default format set to 32bit (bit depth) and 192kHz (sample rate).

My motherboard has 6 audio ports on the back which is where my headsets are currently plugged in. It also has a cable for connecting my case front panel audio ports. My case is an old Corsair Air 540 case. I would like to know if there is a difference between the audio coming from these two different places? I fear that I may be getting inferior audio with my headsets plugged into the rear ports instead of the front. I fear that only the front audio ports are amplified.

I fear that only the front audio ports benefit from the two op-amps. I don't know how the op-amps work. Is one for the rear ports and one for the front? Are they both for front and rear? It does say that both the front and rear ports have the automatic impedance sensing feature. I really would like an answer from an Asus representative so I get a correct explanation.

The product page for my motherboard on the Asus website only providesa little information:

"New SupremeFX Codec

ROG SupremeFX audio technology has levelled up with ROG Crosshair VI Extreme, delivering an exceptional 113dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection for best-ever recording quality — and 120dB on line-out for crystal-clear sound. We've also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, plus Texas Instruments® RC4580 and OPA1688 op-amps for high gain with low distortion. It all adds up to audio that envelops you as never before!"

The specs page says the following:

"ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- ESS® ES9023P
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback *5
Audio Feature :
- Gold-plated jacks
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Sonic Radar III