cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding bios flash

voreo
Level 7
Why do people say to rename the file? What purpose does that actually do?

I ask this because it flashed sucessfully for me without doing so... while using an ntfs drive.
Should i reflash the same bios to correct this or am I ok since it works and shows what i upgraded to?

If reflash, what are the steps in this case?
22 REPLIES 22

Syaoran
Level 7
voreo wrote:
Why do people say to rename the file? What purpose does that actually do?

I ask this because it flashed sucessfully for me without doing so... while using an ntfs drive.
Should i reflash the same bios to correct this or am I ok since it works and shows what i upgraded to?

If reflash, what are the steps in this case?

You only need to rename the file to C6H when you are using the button/recovery method of flashing the BIOS.
Syaoran

Syaoran wrote:
You only need to rename the file to C6H when you are using the button/recovery method of flashing the BIOS.

Ah alright, thanks for that clarification. Wanted to be sure I didn't mess something up, but it seems any issues im running into are just 1403's woes. (occassional cold boots)

voreo wrote:
Ah alright, thanks for that clarification. Wanted to be sure I didn't mess something up, but it seems any issues im running into are just 1403's woes. (occassional cold boots)

The cold boot issue has yet to be resolved. I personally don't notice it that much because I rarely shut down my PC. 1403 and 1501 really aren't that great, at least from my experience. You can use the recovery method to back earlier than 1201 but the 1401 and 9920 aren't that bad for anything more recent, at least that has been my personal experience.
Syaoran

lightknightrr
Level 8
Is there some sort of magic involved in getting the flashback feature to work? I've tried two different SanDisk thumb drives (a 32GB USB 3.0, and a 128 USB 3.1), formatted to have a small FAT32 (and in one case NTFS) partition, with the appropriate BIOS file copied onto the drives and renamed to C6H.CAP, inserted into the BIOS USB slot, and depressed the BIOS flashback button for 3 seconds...all to have it stop blinking and stay a steady blue. This is the second board that refuses to work with the flashback feature, and I'm more than a little unhappy.

lightknightrr wrote:
Is there some sort of magic involved in getting the flashback feature to work? I've tried two different SanDisk thumb drives (a 32GB USB 3.0, and a 128 USB 3.1), formatted to have a small FAT32 (and in one case NTFS) partition, with the appropriate BIOS file copied onto the drives and renamed to C6H.CAP, inserted into the BIOS USB slot, and depressed the BIOS flashback button for 3 seconds...all to have it stop blinking and stay a steady blue. This is the second board that refuses to work with the flashback feature, and I'm more than a little unhappy.

you only need to rename C6H if you using crosshair 6 hero (NON-WIFI) version I believe.
if you using wifi / extreme, i dont think you need to rename it.

lightknightrr
Level 8
Yeah, it wasn't working. But I bought a CH341A BIOS programmer and Pomona SOIC8 Test Clip (plus needed wires & an extra test clip that didn't fit, but had an already soldered pin board), converted the CAP file to a BIN file, reprogrammed the WinBond chip, and it's up and running again. All off of Amazon, which is faster than a RMA...

lightknightrr
Level 8
Hmm. So, it boots, and seems to work...save the eSATA features, which may or may not have ever worked...will try other cables...and I am getting a Q-Code of 24, which I can't find the meaning of in the manual...

andyliu
Level 9
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91628-Q-Code-24/page2

and I forgot to mentioned, if your usb is formatted as GPT instead of MBR, it will not work with the usb flash back as well.
I had one of my usb stop working with usb flash back. I then realized I had formatted it as GPT partition. Once I convert it to MBR, everything works normally.

lightknightrr
Level 8
eSATA problem was traced to dead drives. Two of them. Totally dead. Surprised me. Aside from that, the method works.

If anyone is interested, I can put together a guide for resuscitating your BIOS using a BIOS programmer (won't fix non-BIOS problems, but if flashback isn't working, or if you bricked the BIOS, it should work).