cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with sound card

jbasemoine
Level 9
Hi there,

I have some problems with mij Creative sound blaster Z.
Every now and the there is this "popping sound" like if someone is pluggin in a microphone, this problems occours with everything i do.
This problem does occur less when i listen to music, in a movie of 90 minutes it happens around 9 times during the full lenght of the movie, when i'm gaming this happens verry ofter (every 5 to 6 minutes).
Also while gaming al sound stop at once at any random time, i'm using DTS and got my sound blaster hooked up through thoslink, when all sound stops i noticed that for some reason DTS has stoped.
When i go to windows (alt+tab) and open up the sound card drivers, deselect DTS and then reselect DTS the sound is back to normal.

I'm using the 2nd pci-e slot for my sound card, and tried al other slots so far these problems have become less with the 0902 bios update, but before 0902 i only had th "popping sound" isseu even though this "popping sound" occurs less with 0902 the DTS isseu occured after the 0902 Bios.

I would like know if i'm the only who suffer from this isseu or have diffrent sound card problems, or even better can offer a solution!?

P.s Check the sound card on diffrent pc, works perfect on that rig!
26 REPLIES 26

I have downloaded and installed the previous Creative drivers (1.01.08).
Even though the problem still occours the Popping sound only happend 2 times during a 45 minute video.
Normaly i would get this much more often, even during gaming it happens but it happens alot less.
I'm going to hook my speakers over 3.5mm jack tomorrow and see how it works then.
Will keep everyone posted on the outcome!

It seems that i have fixed the isseu just one more small thing to try out but so far almost 99% of the popping sounds have been fixed (tested on 0902 bios dunno if new bios have improved it further).
I went to Device manager/sound and there i right clicked on my creative sound card and let the drivers update, it seems windows did not update it properly.
Now all works like a charm, watched 4 movies it poped 1 during the 3rd movies but that was all!
The only thing i'm gonna try tomorrow is the lateste creative drivers i'm running on one version earlyer.

I have another problems with sound.

1. My case - Zalman MX800 plus - have HDAudio FP connector. In RealtekHD control panel i have FP - headphones "connected" even when it's disconnected. Microphone jack sensing works well...

2. RealtekHD syncs speaker setup with Windows, so vast majority of games did not do surround at all.

If i select 7.1 in CP - i will not hear surround because i have 2.0 setup, but games sends at least 6 positional channels not counting center & subwoofer, according to windows setup.
And if i de-check absent speakers keeping 7.1 setup - i will not hear surround because games will send only 2 positional channel according to Windows setup again.
By keeping 7.1 setup completely and plugging headphones into front pannel i again can't hear surround (distance, no sound difference in front and behind) - it's like Pan & Volume only!
In Sonic studio 3 "gaming" setup with surround checked, by the way.

In my system present also Xonar D2X, and from this control panel i CAN pretend i have 7.1 speaker setup, and Xonar will transparently transfer it to my real 2.0 speakers and with complete surround experience! - sounds from behind simulates ear, so that it differs.

So as far as i can see - integrated sound card is bad in terms of EAX, DTS, Surround posibilities. I completely disapointed, just wanted to sell Xonar.

You can try Razer Surround to achieve this.

This isn't a problem btw, but just your expectations being completely unrealistic in terms of current onboard chips. If they support it, then only via their proprietary driver suites, or with external software like Razer Surround.

ok, i have tried all i could regarding the sound card.
Uninstalled and resintalled software (tried latest verion of drivers also earlier versions) for a moment (a day or 2) i thought all problems where solved.
But they resurficed.
Also now for no reason at al the sound stops! my speaker console which has a DTS indicater stops indicating that DTS is on for no reason at all during gaming (and gaming only) when the DTS indicator goes out i have no sound!
So i need to go back to windows (alt+tab) open up creative control panel then turn off dts an reable it, then the DTS indicator turns back on and so does the sound.... i really can't figure out what causes these problems.
Sound card is fine (no malfunction or what evere tested it for 3 days straight on diffrent pc) problem only occours on this motherboard.
I'm still not sure if it's Motherboard related or if it is driver related, don't have any other AMD ryzen user who hase a ryzen with a other motherboard so that i can see if it's motherboard or driver related.

Do both of your test systems have the same operating system? I've got a sound blaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion series sitting on the kitchen table from when I upgraded to Windows 10 about six months ago. It was still a fantastic card used with any older OS, but it does not at all play well with Win10, and I eventually switched to using onboard sound for the first time in twenty years because of it. The behavior I was getting was somewhat similar to what you've been describing.

BaneSilvermoon wrote:
Do both of your test systems have the same operating system? I've got a sound blaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion series sitting on the kitchen table from when I upgraded to Windows 10 about six months ago. It was still a fantastic card used with any older OS, but it does not at all play well with Win10, and I eventually switched to using onboard sound for the first time in twenty years because of it. The behavior I was getting was somewhat similar to what you've been describing.

Yes both run same windows (win 10pro 64bit).
I just set mij power performance to hight in windows (forgot to do this after reinstall of windows 10)
Now with the power profile to high more jitter/sound cliches are noticble.
Now i can't even properly watch a 3min youtube vid without any jitter/popping sound eveyr 2 damn seconds :S
When i put it back on blance the jitter/popping is less.
I put my pc in eco mode and almost no jitter/popping sound (poped once after 2.5 hours!!!).
I'm beginning to think the problems has something to do with the power useage/regelation of the motherboard..... from day one sounds has been a disaster on board and the lack of proper DTS with onboard sound i kinda need sound card to get the DTS.

Kobura wrote:
You can try Razer Surround to achieve this.

This isn't a problem btw, but just your expectations being completely unrealistic in terms of current onboard chips. If they support it, then only via their proprietary driver suites, or with external software like Razer Surround.

Thanks for reply.

I reinstalled fresh Windows 10, downloaded new driver from ASUS (version not changed, filename changed, strange) and NOW it works much better, settings, decoder options... But may be it is because Windows 10 updates (Creator Update)...

NOW it is fine for my separate headset. Just something wrong was with drivers\windows services\acpi helpers.
And DTS 5.1 my Xonar will do. ^_^

The issues you are having are with Toslink, which is S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface). S/PDIF Allows for proprietary sound formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS, developed by a Digital Thearte Systems inc. Due to these audio codecs being developed by Sony, Philips, Toshiba and DTS inc, they only sell the chips and information required for operation to OEMs, and do not release the protocols or anything to anyone else. If I were to help you sort something out like a differential amplifier buffer like I used to filter the noise, it would likely break the specifications of the proprietary interface.

Are you using an optical or RCA cable?

The issues I was facing was arising from the switch mode power supplies in the VRMs etc, causing noise on both the ground and signal lines of the 3.5mm line-out jack.

Since you are using S/PDIF, there is very little I can do to help, due to everything being proprietary. If you are willing to use the 3.5mm jacks, I might be able to get something working. However your fault seems to be somewhat different to mine.

Does the optical output on the motherboard audio codec work?

Ok guys after serveral weeks testing sondblaster Z soundcard or drivers is not the problem the card works ok with other board (p67tuf) on c6 hero sound time after time lags and when using dts or dd after while sound is gone so problem is in this board i hope someone will investigate thi