cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime X570-P EATX12V_2 needed?

gplayersv
Level 7
Hi,

I have an X570-P motherboard, a 3600x CPU, 5700XT GPU, 2 SSDs, 1HDD. I'm overclocking the RAMs to 3200MHz using the BIOS settings, nothing fancy.
My power supply - Super Flower Leadex II Gold 650W does not have the additional EATX12V_2 connector (the 4 pin one next to the 8 pin CPU one).
I'm getting BSODs on Windows 10 every now and then and after upgrading everything (drivers, BIOS), reinstalling windows, reapplying thermal paste, switching rams, uninstalling antivirus and such, I'm still getting BSODs.
Could the BSODs be caused by the missing 4 pin connector to the CPU?
I'm finding conflicting information on the net. The manual states only that you should connect the 8 pin connector or the 8 + 4 pins together.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
A 3600x only needs the 8pin, these are used to power VRM's and possibly pcie?(conflicting info on pcie)
If you were using the 3900x or 3950x then I would recommend both (although technically speaking you only need both for serious overclocking). I strongly doubt this is the source of the issue. The reasons I would want to hook both is becuase some boards refuse to boot without it with higher cpu's (3900x, 3950x) and secondly this is not monitored for heat, where VRM's are.

What is recorded fault at the time BSOD ?

What BIOS are you using ?

Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

You also most likely need to check your windows 10 install using this.

run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps again. If you get caught in loop greater than twice than you have serious windows 10 installation issue. The purpose of the this is to correct any critical errors in current windows 10 install.

Hi, thanks for replying!

I already have latest BIOS, latest chipset drivers. I've also ran the sfc and dism commands previously and got no errors. Even did a fresh reinstall of Windows to make sure (deleting all disk contents) but still have the issue.
Almost all of the BSODS are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but there are some exceptions. When inspecting with Windbg preview I see lately the process name being chrome.exe or steam.exe. In the past I've had Bitdefender to be the culprit but even after uninstalling it with their remove tool still got BSODs with different causes.

Right now I'm on the fresh install of Windows 10 (about 1-2 weeks). Something I've noticed that could be related is that by default the power plan is AMD Ryzen Balanced. I've changed this to High Performance and soon after got a BSOD. So now I'm again on Ryzen Balanced and waiting to see if I get BSODs or not. If I don't get anything for about 1 week then I will change to High Performance again and see if then I get BSODs again.
It's just a theory so far but this led me to assume that it could be power based with those 4 pins.

gplayersv wrote:
Almost all of the BSODS are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but there are some exceptions.

This type of error is nearly always to do with graphics card or it's drivers.

However, your Motherboard RAM can trigger it as well and you mentioned o/c, granted only 3200 but if the Motherboard RAM O/C is not stable and this could be the root cause ?

My theory, is also based on the High performance issue, in that if the O/C is not stable and when you push the CPU to it real ability.
BAM you have a BSOD.

How did you determine the timings for the 3200 O/C ?
(don't get me wrong here, I'm all for over clocking RAM on the 3000 series CPU's. Just want to be sure you have done it correctly)

About the RAM timings, there's a D.O.C.P. setting in BIOS from where I just select the 1st option (it sets the RAM to 3200 MHz). I don't change anything else.
If you need more info let me know and I will get it and give it to you.