cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

post code 8

DavidFpv
Level 7
Hello,
I built my first computer and have a problem.
I made a OC to my memory for 3200 speed (this is the manufacturer's speed)
And every time I turn on the computer or it takes about a minute to turn on or that code jumps (8)
thus is my setup:
24 REPLIES 24

DavidFpv wrote:
Okay I'll try to connect...
In the image red it's what I use.
I can use the green for cpu?

Yes that will do it.
Too many suggestions that this isnt needed. I dont think they would put it there if it wasnt.

Also in BIOS try using XMP instead of adjusting otherwise and double check that the ram voltage is set to manufactuers specs. That often is undervolted by default makking anything over the Jdec standard, probably 2666 on this board risky.

BigJohnny wrote:

Too many suggestions that this isnt needed. I dont think they would put it there if it wasnt.

Yeah, that is because some people, most probably with Low-end CPUs have plugged only one cable and their system boots and works.
Fact is though that a MID/HIGH end CPU will get insufficient power by not having the 4pin connected as well.

From C7H user's manual:
Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug; Otherwise, the system will not boot.

liakou wrote:
Yeah, that is because some people, most probably with Low-end CPUs have plugged only one cable and their system boots and works.
Fact is though that a MID/HIGH end CPU will get insufficient power by not having the 4pin connected as well.

From C7H user's manual:

The pc is boot but with one crash...
Anyway I'll buy a cable in the next few days ...
But is it critical if I use DCOP settings like this? Except that the computer crashes first and then reboots everything works properly

₪ 36.04 | חדש שרוולים מעבד 8 (4 + 4) פין/SATA/IDE מחבר/PCI-E 8pin (6 + 2) מודולרי כוח כבל עבור OCZ ZT/Greatwall מודולרי PSU
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lgwC2fiY
I can buy it?
I don't have this item in my city...

DavidFpv wrote:
The pc is boot but with one crash...
Anyway I'll buy a cable in the next few days ...
But is it critical if I use DCOP settings like this? Except that the computer crashes first and then reboots everything works properly

I can buy it?

liakou wrote:

From C7H user's manual:

₪ 36.04 | חדש שרוולים מעבד 8 (4 + 4) פין/SATA/IDE מחבר/PCI-E 8pin (6 + 2) מודולרי כוח כבל עבור OCZ ZT/Greatwall מודולרי PSU
I can buy it?

BigJohnny wrote:
Yes that will do it.

Also in BIOS try using XMP instead of adjusting otherwise and double check that the ram voltage is set to manufactuers specs. That often is undervolted by default makking anything over the Jdec standard, probably 2666 on this board risky.

I'm with Ryzen I'm using a DCOP not xmp And everything goes well but the computer turns on with a crash ...

Starrbuck wrote:
QCODE 8 means insufficient CPU power. Is your PSU good? Do you have the extra power plugged in at the top left of the motherboard? Have you changed the CPU voltage?

Q-Code: 8 can occur for a number of reasons. I have seen it occur even on a crash where CPU is sufficiently powered. I have seen it on flaky OC profile. I have seen it when RAM is having an issue. All in all it just seems an all round code for borked operation in my opinion.

DavidFpv wrote:
I don't use the 4 pin extra because my friend told me that not really have to contact that...
Could it be because of this?

liakou wrote:
So you're saying that you have only the 8-pin power connected on the board for the CPU power? If that's so then of course you need to also connect the extra 4-pin power cable on the board! There's a reason for being there.
Connecting the 8-pin only will make your CPU power up when you power on your PC but having only one cable connected your CPU cannot draw sufficient power when it needs to. If it wasn't necessary then it wouldn't be there in the first place.

You do not need the extra 4 pin power connected, unless you are gonna use LN2 and really hammer an OC out of CPU.

I have used C6H and C7H for lengthy periods, with OC CPU/RAM on R7 1700/ R7 1800X/R7 2700X/R5 3600 and not had an issue with just using the 8 pin CPU connected. I have high load stress tests with OC CPU/RAM with only the 8 pin power plug connected.

This post (link) and this one (link) has info by The Stilt.

There is NO need to connect both of the ATX12V (4-pin) & EPS12V (8-pin) connectors.
EPS12V is the primary connector and the ATX12V pin is there simply to lower the current drawn from the EPS12V connector during extreme OC (LN2).

The EPS12V connector can safely deliver 408W+ (34A @ 12.00V) on any properly built PSU (18 AWG wires, or better).
Together these connectors can safely provide 612W+.

So unless you are planning to do some LN2 runs where the power consumption could in theory exceed this limit, there is no need to connect the additional ATX12V connector.

Below is link to video of my C7H with R5 3600 using PBO+150MHz with 4x8GB @ 3800MHz running ~10hrs Kahru RAM Test with only ATX12V 8 pin connected.

DavidFpv wrote:
and my bioss Version is 7403

I would use UEFI 7501, as you have 3000 series CPU it is best to aim to use latest UEFI.

From the info in your first post you are using a single 16GB dimm (HX432C16FB3/16), if so perhaps this is the cause of Q-Code: 8, are you able to try some differing RAM from say a friends system?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Q-Code: 8 can occur for a number of reasons. I have seen it occur even on a crash where CPU is sufficiently powered. I have seen it on flaky OC profile. I have seen it when RAM is having an issue. All in all it just seems an all round code for borked operation in my opinion.

You do not need the extra 4 pin power connected, unless you are gonna use LN2 and really hammer an OC out of CPU.

I have used C6H and C7H for lengthy periods, with OC CPU/RAM on R7 1700/ R7 1800X/R7 2700X/R5 3600 and not had an issue with just using the 8 pin CPU connected. I have high load stress tests with OC CPU/RAM with only the 8 pin power plug connected.

This post (link) and this one (link) has info by The Stilt.

Below is link to video of my C7H with R5 3600 using PBO+150MHz with 4x8GB @ 3800MHz running ~10hrs Kahru RAM Test with only ATX12V 8 pin connected.

I would use UEFI 7501, as you have 3000 series CPU it is best to aim to use latest UEFI.

From the info in your first post you are using a single 16GB dimm (HX432C16FB3/16), if so perhaps this is the cause of Q-Code: 8, are you able to try some differing RAM from say a friends system?

I have 2 RAM cards each of which is 16

And still once in a short while while turning on the computer I see the post code again

RedSector73
Level 12
DavidFpv wrote:
Hello,
I built my first computer and have a problem.
I made a OC to my memory for 3200 speed (this is the manufacturer's speed)
And every time I turn on the computer or it takes about a minute to turn on or that code jumps (8)
thus is my setup:

One stick is really bad idea, you should have two, that's whole point of DDR, anyway, check your using the 2nd slot from the cpu, not the first one. Then you should be able to run 3200 speed.