cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive experience with BIOS 1107

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Background so far: I have run a few of the beta BIOS and was able to get my Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 memory up to 3200 mhz where it belongs, but some other instabilities would creep in. I suspect because of the like 150 mhz Bclk I had to use. For some reason, the 2666 profile clocked up never worked on 1002 or the other BIOS for me so I had to clock up the 2133 profile. No D.O.C.P. (which stands for Doesn't Operate Computer Properly) profile really ever worked for me for some reason -- always had to manually set up.

On 1002 I could only get up to 3100 mhz on memory but that was at least acceptable though that last 100mhz ate at me...

1107 is a charmer so far. Here's what I've got going and quite happy:

• Running Corsair Dominator Platinum part number CMD16GX4M2B3200C16 @ 3200 mhz on the 2666 mhz profile, stated timings from the RAM manually set at 16-18-18-18-36, with 1T command rate showing in CPU-Z.
  • Running memory at an overvolt of 1.4 to be sure, but it ran at 1.35.
  • Bclk is at 120, selected a memory speed of 2666 which gives 3200. Also verified seeing 1600 mhz memory clock in CPU-Z.
  • Manually set ProcODT to 68.8 ohms.
  • Memory testing timings (using SiSoft SANDRA) show the increase in performance.
  • The system gets to windows boot FAST, even after a power down cycle. Maybe not as fast as some motherboards, but WAY faster than under any previous BIOS for me.
  • Unsuccessful in overclocking memory even with extended timings, but these aren't Samsung B-die chips. They are Samsung E-die.

Overall, a nice bump in performance. I'm running a 3.9 ghz CPU clock using 1.462 volts and a Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 cooler and it's stable. Hate the volts but if I want to get that far with this particular chip that's what it takes. My 1700 isn't a lottery winner. But this is the same as under 1002 or the other BIOS -- no change better or worse.

Further note: I did try a Bclk of 100 mhz and a straight-up 3200 mhz selection for memory speed but it doesn't work even when the timings and other parameters are then set manually. I also am very sure that the Corsair Dominator Platinum v4.24 2x8g memory set I have is dual-rank Samsung E-die and that explains the limitations very well.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.
20 REPLIES 20

cbjaust
Level 7
What did you need to do to get 150MHz Bclk???
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon HD7970 3GB
SERVER/HTPC AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB | Radeon HD5670

cbjaust wrote:
What did you need to do to get 150MHz Bclk???

Just set the clock in the BIOS in the Extreme menu.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

entropic-remnants wrote:
Just set the clock in the BIOS in the Extreme menu.

you make it sound so easy! I had no success with 150MHz Bclk. Highest I got to boot was like 135MHz...
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon HD7970 3GB
SERVER/HTPC AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB | Radeon HD5670

cbjaust wrote:
you make it sound so easy! I had no success with 150MHz Bclk. Highest I got to boot was like 135MHz...

It looks like you misread the OP. He stated he set Bclk to 120, not 150.

Fumbler wrote:
It looks like you misread the OP. He stated he set Bclk to 120, not 150.

I guess there must have been some exaggeration:

entropic-remnants wrote:
Background so far: I have run a few of the beta BIOS and was able to get my Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 memory up to 3200 mhz where it belongs, but some other instabilities would creep in. I suspect because of the like 150 mhz Bclk I had to use. For some reason, the 2666 profile clocked up never worked on 1002 or the other BIOS for me so I had to clock up the 2133 profile. No D.O.C.P. (which stands for Doesn't Operate Computer Properly) profile really ever worked for me for some reason -- always had to manually set up.
>>snip<<

i, m running the 1107 and so far so good.
my ram is team extreme 3600 with the 4 foot tall heat spreaders 🙂 Samsung b die as by taiphoon i had e dies before and they did not play well.
my ram is 2933 14 14 14 14 36
1.37v
refclock is 100( used the 120/2933 or 2666 to get to 3200 but the extra refclock caused issues with the video card(have not tried it again on this bios though.
1.4v manual llc5 for 4.05g on a 1800x under a h110i cooler.
perfectly stable no cold boot issues(which i did get with the 079 bios.

highest temps reported are 70 using the amd die reading.
cb15 is around 1750 pretty much all runs. and 126k on real bench 2.54

so far i like the bios but i would really like the fan to not think its 90 degrees 🙂 2.2k spinning fans are loud 🙂

oh 1.1 on soc and 1.82 on pll voltage as well.

Little clarification: Previously I had to use a 150 bclk to get to the memory speed I wanted. NOW I am at 120 to do so.

All in the original post so both numbers do appear there.

Hi there,

I believe that I ran into you when your were grabbing your system at MicroCenter. I was grabbing the Crosshair 6 also at the time. I am glad to see that you have gotten your system together and got a pretty nice overclock on it. It stinks that you need that much voltage but I am right there with you on a slightly duddy 1700, but that's what you get when you don't pay for the chance to get something that 'should' overclock higher. I am at 3.9 with 1.4 volts and have some slight software crash issues under heavy load but nothing in gaming (ie. encoding video with handbrake). I am still working on getting the issues worked out as it appears to still be a memory issue more than vcore. I am stable with 29xx MHz memory but when up to the 3200 I have seen some strange issues. Memory voltage is around 1.36 and will be slowly boosting that to see if that helps any then may try to push multiplier a little higher. Keep an eye for this month as we should be getting a new Bios with the 1.0.0.5 AGESA MicroCode which may help with your memory support. Good luck with your system and also what temps are you getting with that cooler and those volts?

Eric

Hi, Eric! I remember you -- we had a nice chat in the cooler aisle while your friend looked at some stuff.

I am by no means disappointed and having a blast with this. I think I am having more fun for all the challenges.

I may eventually drop back down to 3.8 on the CPU for long term use but for now it is fun to live on the edge, so to speak.

Thanks for the shout!

Edit: forgot to comment on temps.

Extended runs of prime95 "blend" stabilize in mid 80's. Fan at 100%.

Gaming never higher than low 50's.

I ordered another fan to see how much that might help but at these volts and clocks a D15 or other dual tower cooler might be a better choice for the marathon runs. When I down clock this U12 should be just fine.