cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCing Ryzen 1800X

dusank
Level 7
Hello,

can I please get some guidance for OCing my CPU. I've been following this guide:

I have my memory set to DOCP Standard (3200MHz).

I've tried OCing with the following settings (everything else is on Default/Auto):

CPU Core Ratio: 40
CPU Core Voltage: Offset 0,025 - 0,0625
Core Performance Boost: Disabled
CPU LLC: Level 1
Global C-State Control: Enabled
Fast Boot
CSM: Disabled

My PC boots up fine at vcore offset 0,025 but with AIDA64 System Stability Test running the PC freezes after cca. 1,5 minutes.
I've tried increasing the offset as recommended in the guide but the only thing that changes is that the PC freezes after a longer time (18 minutes @ offset 0,0625).

I've tried all the values between 0,025 and 0,0625.

Is it safe to go higher? What is the safe maximum for vcore offset?

Are there any other settings that might help stabilize my CPU at Core Ratio 40?
38 REPLIES 38

dusank wrote:
Dont you agree?

Sorry dusank but it is not really possible to agree with this.

You have to concede that if someone took your CPU and put it under liquid nitrogen then it would clock to 6-7-8GHz

The simple truth is that the greater cooling you can bring to a CPU the better the stability when overclocking.

Now, this has nothing to do with price performance and what one wants to spend on cooling. There we all have to make choices but this doesn't take away from the fact that more radiator surface area makes for better cooling and better OCing results at the more normal ambient temperatures.

If you were OCing in a shed in Siberia then the size of your cooler would have less impact because it's already so cold that a single 120 or double or triple would all be able to shift the heat. However in normal ambient temperatures the less surface area you have and lower volume of coolant, the quicker your loop becomes saturated with heat and the higher is the equilibrium temperature for the loop.

If you are happy with your cooler and your OC, fantastic. And sure, maybe the returns from better cooling could be seen as diminishing...but they are there and depending on the exact CPU sample etc are often substantial enough that people go after them.

I have been from a H100 to a 240 to a 360 to two 480x80mm radiators...it all made an appreciable difference in top end stability.

The biggest difference of course comes from ambient temp and airflow through a case etc. You can have a H115 in a bad airflow situation that will do the same as a H80 in good airflow...

etc etc.

Thanks for the explanation Arne.

So simply put, if my CPU was a few degrees cooler it would probably run stable at higher frequencies, right?

The price is not an issue for me as the difference between H80 and H115 is rather negligible. (And as you can see I went with the best/most expensive AM4 components that I could get) The reason I had to use a H80i v2 was my case which I am happy with but does not fit a bigger cooler.

I am not aiming at breaking any records and a few MHz more dont really matter to me thus I am quite happy with the results I've got.

dusank wrote:
So simply put, if my CPU was a few degrees cooler it would probably run stable at higher frequencies, right?

It's difficult to say 100% of course since there are CPUs that simply run into a wall no matter the voltage or cooling but talking generally then yes, that's true.
I have noticed in my own benchmarking experiments that even 2 or 3 degrees can be the difference between completing a benchmark and the system failing.

But as you say...

dusank wrote:
a few MHz more dont really matter to me thus I am quite happy with the results I've got.

We certainly don't have to chase every last MHz...and it is a nice OC!:cool:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sweet CB score..those CPUs chew through that...I have to OC a 5960X quite a bit to get that kind of score 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Sweet CB score..those CPUs chew through that...I have to OC a 5960X quite a bit to get that kind of score 🙂

Glad to hear that even with an inferior cooler I am having decent performance. :cool:

MeanMachine
Level 13
Quite decent scores at 3.6GHz dusank. 🙂

Are you happy with the results compared to others with the same combo on Realbench Leaderboard.?
How stable is your System at 4.1GHz in AIDA64.? Temps, Rail voltages etc.

I see your on Beta Bios 3101. Your thoughts on this Beta version.? Did this help to stabilize RAM and get your SPD to 3200MHz.? And did it fix the cold boot issue as many have.

Your choice of using G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX is providing good scores in Passmark. I've been looking at that kit and at 3600Mhz for some time but prices atm are ridiculous in my country.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Quite decent scores at 3.6GHz dusank. 🙂

It was set up at 3975MHz. Not sure where RealBench got 3,6GHz from - some kind of bug ... 🙂

MeanMachine wrote:

Are you happy with the results compared to others with the same combo on Realbench Leaderboard.?

For some reason I was not able to upload my score thus I did not compare.

MeanMachine wrote:

How stable is your System at 4.1GHz in AIDA64.? Temps, Rail voltages etc.

The maximum frequency I can get stable is 3,975GHz!

My system survives 20minutes of AIDA64 SST but not much longer. With DOCP it would run for a few hours before crashing but I've manualy fine tuned my RAM yesterday so now it lasts probably only for half an hour.

But I guess that is good enough. I'll see whether under normal usage it tends to crash occasionaly, but I believe it wont. I've played trough the Mafia III game with DOCP enabled and did not have a single crash or other issue.

MeanMachine wrote:

I see your on Beta Bios 3101. Your thoughts on this Beta version.? Did this help to stabilize RAM and get your SPD to 3200MHz.? And did it fix the cold boot issue as many have.

Well I had issues due to a faulty CPU IMC I could not run my memory at 3200MHz. So I've RMAed the CPU and it works now. I have not tried any other BIOS version with the new CPU though. I am not suffering from a cold boot issue.

MeanMachine wrote:

Your choice of using G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX is providing good scores in Passmark. I've been looking at that kit and at 3600Mhz for some time but prices atm are ridiculous in my country.

I can recommend it, it runs flawlessly. Could not get it to run at 3333MHz stably for 20 minutes under AIDA64 SST but 3200MHz is good enough I guess.

dusank wrote:
It was set up at 3975MHz. Not sure where RealBench got 3,6GHz from - some kind of bug ... 🙂

The maximum frequency I can get stable is 3,975GHz!

I can recommend it, it runs flawlessly. Could not get it to run at 3333MHz stably for 20 minutes under AIDA64 SST but 3200MHz is good enough I guess.

If you try tune your ram a bit more you'll likely be able to get up to 100 more cinebench points... I run 3466 CL14 b-die with tight subtimings at 1.42v (with active cooling) on a 1700X at 4GHz. The ram we have looks to be the same stuff, just with different heat spreaders and rgb cansr xD. So if you can up the voltage a little to get it stable it'll be worth it in my book.

This is about max I squeezed for Cinebench at 4GHz. However, even with higher voltage and good air-cooler, I cannot make 100% system stability at 4GHz, only for benchmarks. However 3.9GHz @1.39V is fully stable and sweet spot for me...

Hm, having some difficulties replying to this thread...

Anyhow, here is how much I managed to sqeeze from Cinebench, that nicely respond to memory speed and timings (an CB bias option in bios)

Unfortunately, I cannot make my cpu a 4GHz fully 100% stable, so for every day keep 3.9GHz at 1.39V.

WinRAR is also a good benchmark that VERY HEAVILY respond to memory timings, much more then CPU speed 🙂 For example 3.8GHz CPU with 3466CL14 memory with optimized timings is way faster then 4GHz CPU 3200CL14 default memory subtimings. Try it...