cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Panel II Availability

Celty2
Level 7
The C6H has a ROG extension (ROG_EXT) header. I'd like to get an OC Panel II to be able to utilize it. I don't see where it is available, is there a way to order it?
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
ASUS Global used to sell the original OC Panel and the newer OC Panel II, at least in some regions.
They're also listed on newegg and NCIX, although usually "out of stock".
And they're always floating around on eBay.

The OC Panel isn't terribly useful. A pretty-looking hardware monitor for temps/voltages/etc. An "OC" button which is little more than a launch shortcut. You still have to configure your overclocks automatically through ASUS software or (better yet) manually through BIOS.
It's rather annoying that it's designed to provide full functionality only when used as a free-standing unit; it's much more limited when mounted in a drive bay. (There are mods which "fix" this, of course, although they'll void ASUS warranty and aren't supported.)

The ROG Front Base is a far more capable and robust drive-bay version of this accessory. Looks better, does more. Although, again, software and BIOS will be more powerful tools.

No AMD motherboards are compatibility-listed for these devices, regardless whether or not these mobos have an onboard ROG_EXT port. ASUS will probably release an AMD-specific version (compatible with your CH6/X370) once all the buggy "teething pains" (relating to temps/voltages/etc) for this platform launch have been worked out.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Celty2
Level 7
My case does not have front drive bays, so that would not be viable for me, and the OC Panel would therefore be used freestanding. I hope you are right and they do plan to offer it.

Korth
Level 14
Bahz wrote:
For X370 the motherboards are not officially in the support list so there's no official support for these motherboards yet so I think it's best to wait for news on when the firmware will be available for the X370 boards. Unfortunately I don't have any information on this but I will check with our team responsible for the ROG Front Base and if I have something that I can share then I'll update it here.

Palko wrote:
So reply came with ASUS : I'm sorry to inform you that the Crosshair VI Hero does not support the Front Base. The ROG_EXT connector is only for the OC Panel and OC Panel II. This is also mentioned in the Manual of the motherboard at page 1-27.So, hoping to later, it will support.

ROG OC Panel II appears to be (at least partially) compatible with ROG CH6. It would be better to get an answer directly from ASUS.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I don't plan on getting one of these, just curious what you who do plan to, plan on doing about USB 2.0 support since the header for this on the mobo consumes the only usb 2.0 header.

Korth
Level 14
These accessories only plug into the ROG_EXT port, which is actually a modified USB2 header and can even provide a pass-through USB2 port.

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
These accessories only plug into the ROG_EXT port, which is actually a modified USB2 header and can even provide a pass-through USB2 port.

Right, but the right half of the ROG_EXT header is the only USB2.0 header on the board. So what happens if you want to run the OC Panel and have something like an AIO that needs a 2.0 header, front panel USB 2.0, etc?