cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Aura LED's toggle? HDD & CPU Ready

pankomputerek
Level 7
is there any way to disable the HDD and CPU_ready LED's on the motherboard? I find them really distracting and useless.
In BIOS I've only seen ROG Effects toggle and AURA effects Off don't change it.

As a suggestion ROG Effects should be named ASUS Aura Effects in BIOS?
18 REPLIES 18

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No way to turn this off that I am aware of. With each gen, Im chipping away at the teams for reducing the number of jarring colors/LEDs on each board. The number of antagonists has been reduced, but there are still some.

What I do with some of my builds is get some vinyl wrap and create small covers for the cables. Comes out looking quite good, and it can be removed easily. May not be the answer you were looking for, but Im sure its one you can use.

Surely they should be able to add a switch in BIOS for them? Could this be suggested? Seems like a popular suggestion.

pankomputerek wrote:
Surely they should be able to add a switch in BIOS for them? Could this be suggested? Seems like a popular suggestion.

I'll answer with a question. How do you physically turn off a switch that you haven't installed? You can write code all day long, it needs a physical end-point to manipulate (a switch)

And don't call me Shirley. 😄

Suggestion
Motherboard should detect if HDD led pin is connected -> boards HDD led is disabled.

Add jumper to boards HDD led connector -> boards HDD led is disabled.

simple

Sturmer wrote:
Suggestion
Motherboard should detect if HDD led pin is connected -> boards HDD led is disabled.

simple

Yes, there are multiple ways to do this, and they are all simple. None of those methods apply here, though, as the requisite hardware isn't on the board.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Yes, there are multiple ways to do this, and they are all simple. None of those methods apply here, though, as the requisite hardware isn't on the board.

That's a shame!

Sturmer wrote:
Suggestion

simple

can jumpers be dangerous if left as a permanent resolution? the light is quite literally the brightest thing in my case and the whole walls are glass... Corsair X570.

SoulChaosX wrote:
can jumpers be dangerous if left as a permanent resolution? the light is quite literally the brightest thing in my case and the whole walls are glass... Corsair X570.

There isn't a jumper to disable the HDD led.

HDD led has states that includes not illuminated so that means it can be switched off if the board can be told not to flash the led.

the cpu ready light is more visible than my trident z rgb memory from 30 feet away, i'd hazard to guess that the cpu still functioning is enough of an indicator for most of us after the pc has posted and still hasn't crashed. as a general rule "everything is ok" alarms and indicators are always annoying if they can't be disabled

the q code 40 could indicate "40" as " " thus turning off another source of high intensity leds

the start button ceases to function after the board has started. not much point in being able to find it in the dark if it no longer functions

those are the 4 annoyingly bright and generally unnecessary sources of light present 100% of the pc's uptime. if we're stuck with them so be it. but at least try and rectify it for future boards and revisions

Raja
Level 13
As I said, chipping away. More hardware cuts into costs, and you always buy in bulk, so it's slow progress on these items.