cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No keyboard or mouse during Windows 7 installation (B350-F)

ajocius
Level 7
I am building new PC and using Asus STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard. It has only USB connection available for mouse, so I used USB mouse and keyboard. I went first to BIOS and I am able to use keyboard and mouse there. USB options are all enabled. However, when I start installing Windows 7, I get to the first screen to select language and neither keyboard nor mouse is detected.

I understand that relevant USB drivers are not on W7 installation that I use. I wouldn't want to purchase new Windows just because of that.

I searched for USB drivers on that particular motherboard support site on Asus, but there is none. There is Chipset drivers of 1.3 GB but I can not use them prior I install windows. So after reading various websites, I understand that the only way out is to find relevant drivers and insert them into installation ISO file. I have tested one driver, used NLite to inject drivers to ISO, but ended up with same problem, no mouse or keyboard under installation. The whole process took quite some time, so I would like to avoid running through multiple attempts to find the right set up. This is why I am here.

Do you have any advice? Or link to correct driver for this particular motherboard? Or am I missing something else?
18 REPLIES 18

Hi, Here is what I have done so far:
1) Tried all 4 USB 2.0 ports on PC + 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 3.1 ports after each attempt described below
2) Tried to disconnect and reconnect keyboard and mouse with 10 sec pause;
3) Used NLite to add driverst to Windows 7 installation file :
3.1) AMD4 chipset drivers from AMD website
3.2) Chipset drivers from ASUS support page
3.3) drivers that I found on motherboard installation CD, that came with motherboard.
3.4) added Windows 7 updates inlcuding SP1.

After every nlite attempt to insert drivers or updates, I make bootable USB and try to install Windows 7 into my PC. Every time is the same scenario. I start PC, if I go to BIOS, both mouse and keyboard (connected via 2 separate USB2.0 ports) are functioning. I start PC with inserted USB stick containing Windows 7 installation files, PC reads intallation files from USB stick (meaning USB port is recognized), mouse has red light (meaning it is active) , keyboard has small green light (meaning it is active). After copying installation files, computer reboots and start loading installation file .... and that is when lights on mouse and keyboard dissapear. Then I get to Windows welcome screen, where I should select language, but by that time neither mouse nor keyboard are functioning....

I have loaded short video to illustrate:

I am not interested to load Linux. I tried to disable Legacy USB, that completely disabled USB ports, I couldn't even use mouse and keyboard in BIOS, had to restore CMOS. Somebody suggested to install Intel drivers, well, I can not install them prior I get windows installed. I could try to load them into installation files using Nlite, but the I though if these drivers could be relevant. My motherboard has AMD4 chipset for AMD Ryzen, so Intel should not be right answer... There was link on how other people fixed drivers, but that was when you already have windows... I am just trying to install.

Keep searching for solution still

I gave up with Windows 7 installation attempts. Tried W10 and it went smoothly, without any hiccups. Mouse and keyboard where available throughout the whole process. Conclusion, W7 installation files miss some drivers that are necessary for Asus B350-F motherboard and USB ports are deactivated during Windows installation process. Unfortunately I was not able to figure out what exact drivers were missing and was not able to insert them into installation disk.

MikeAdu wrote:
Logitech G19 and G700s.

Logitech Gaming Software is known to currently have many issues with the latest Win10.

I don't know G19 and G700s, but my G710 and G502 can't be reconfigured through LGS software on X99/Z270/X370 and Win10 - but I can configure them in Win7, save profiles into onboard memories, then run them in Win10 (or any other OS) without LGS.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MikeAdu
Level 9
I have no issues with Logitech software on my PC at all.I use two presets only(major pc usage and gaming).Once set up and having fun still without problems.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

So i recently purchased a Asus B350-F Mobo, while trying to install windows 7 the mouse or keyboard will not respond.
I discovered this post and didn't see a solution in it, So im posting my finding and my solution.
I tried to update Bios and tinker with many bios settings spending up to 2 hours sifting through forums and threads with no avail.
The Solution to this problem is quiet simple after much trial and error.
1. Have windows 7 on a USB.
2. Go to Asus Mother Board Support Page for the B350-F ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ )
3. Under Drivers and Tools Section. Select OS as Windows 7 64-Bit (32 if your using that)
4. Download the Utilities packet. (contains windows 7 tool)
5. Unzip the utilities and open up the program. (Run as Administrator if needed)
6. Select : Update the original Windows 7 installation image in the USB storage Device
7. Avoid using the NVMe hotfix if possible. It caused an error for me.
8. Go into your B350-f bios and boot the USB.
9. Congratulations you can now use your mouse and keyboard in windows 7 installation.

Not to be "That Guy", but there is a reason ASUS on the Specifications page says Windows 10 64bit.77375

3. Under Drivers and Tools Section. Select OS as Windows 7 64-Bit (32 if your using that)
4. Download the Utilities packet. (contains windows 7 tool)

Do you have Ultimate packet by any chance? can no find it on product website, seems it is not available any more

RedSector73
Level 12
Windows 7 with Ryzen CPU has USB issues because it never went through validation and why Windows 10 does work.
https://maxedtech.com/amd-ryzen-and-windows-7/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7kzjkj/this_actually_worked_windows_7_on_ryzen/

Solution with Windows Image Tool worked for me. Apparently Windows dropped windows 7 support for Ryzen chipset, pushing users towards Windows 10. However there is workaround, by inserting missing drivers into windows installation files (iso). This video explains step by step solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ImB56BkY8&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=TechReaper