cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ryzen 7 1800X build impressions.

MeanMachine
Level 13
This is not a review as there are many out there. Mostly good and some complaining of poor optimization when gaming. Other reviewers basing their results on a 3.5GHz saying locked frequency and skewed graphs showing better results for Intel I7-6900K or 6950X. :mad: I take those reviews as Biased with a pinch of salt.
Just check out the price performance ratio. OMG has Intel been ripping us off.?

This is my latest build log based on the following specs:
CPU: RYZEN 7 1800X
MB: ROG Crosshair VI Hero
PSU: Antec HCP 850w Platinum Pro
DIMMs: Corsair 16GB (2X8)DDR4 CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 .
AIO: Corsair Hydro H115i
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T with all ML fans.

BIOS.
I updated to Bios 1002 to try. Not tried any of the other revisions as yet.
Qcode listings have many changes and some new unfamiliar listings. Qcode Od is undocumented which I got a lot off originally.
Once Bios was configured correctly it dosen't happen unless I switch the PSU off atm.
When I power on, the system Posts but sends me to Bios each time. I have to select boot priority to one of the two entries listed in Boot menu.

Boot Menu list has two entries:
1. M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
2. Windows Boot Manager (M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB) When I choose this entry Bios then goes to the OS.
I can't as yet boot straight to Windows. Bios tells me to adjust\disable Fan Speed low limit option. Tried all kinds of settings with no luck yet.

I had issues with my XMP profile which does not work. I manually keyed in the SPD Timings and Voltage and now clocked at 2933mhz.

It was easy to get 4GHz on the CPU, I just used the multiplier with BCLK at 100MHz.
One thing I have noticed is my temperatures dont read correct at 50C idle and research tells me that is an incorrect reading. My temperature probe tells me around 20C lower is correct.

Initial results based on Cinebench R15, CPUid HWMonitor, Aida64 and CPUz

I tested for 20mins in AIDA64 and temps got to 76C however the Ryzen Balance set for performance kicked in and increased my fans then temps settled at 67C.
I wanted to try Realbench stress test but I cant get it to run atm. 😞 The app opens but when I click on test nothing happens. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Here are some Stress test results:

Initial result are stable at 4.0GHz and i'm not done yet. Any comments or advice much appreciated. 😛 🙂

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
98 REPLIES 98

Hello Community

I wanna share some results too 🙂
Been very happy with my 1800x and its "slow" memory... Still using HyperX Fury 😉
Can't wait to see further improvements with BIOS and Chipset Updates!
Greetings

MeanMachine
Level 13
For those interested in benchmark results on this platform and system build comparisons, here are some interesting results courtesy of PassMark Performance test 9.
Price/Performance comparisons.

Performance Tests
The PassMark benchmark is very interesting to run and second only to Realbench. 😛
You can also submit your scores for comparisons with other likewise and other systems. Just use your Baseline ID to search results.
I scored pretty well I might add with an OC @ 4.35GHz
Just need to update my Bios and RAM. Hoping to get some 4000MHz Dimms to try if AGESA (v1.0.0.6) will allow.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well done FoxTech and thanks for sharing. That's about as good as it gets till they release an updated AGESA (v1.0.0.6) Bios.
Any day now I hope :rolleyes: :confused::o

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Well done FoxTech and thanks for sharing. That's about as good as it gets till they release an updated AGESA (v1.0.0.6) Bios.
Any day now I hope :rolleyes: :confused::o

Thanks MeanMachine for your reply:)
Every update brought more stability for me.
I use 2 kits of 2x8GB HyperX Fury 2666mhz. Thats not a perfect situation, but like you can see, I still can run them @ 2933

I'm really impressed!
Asus did a good job in this short time:D
I hope, all problems can be fixed for all user soon.

One thing, I would like to have been worked on... CPU ideling without using P-States, when CPU is overclocked or voltage is changed manualy/offset 😉

Sorry, if my english is a bit simple =/ Its not my main language.
Greetings

FoxTech wrote:
Thanks MeanMachine for your reply:)
Every update brought more stability for me.
I use 2 kits of 2x8GB HyperX Fury 2666mhz. Thats not a perfect situation, but like you can see, I still can run them @ 2933

I'm really impressed!
Asus did a good job in this short time:D
I hope, all problems can be fixed for all user soon.

One thing, I would like to have been worked on... CPU ideling without using P-States, when CPU is overclocked or voltage is changed manualy/offset 😉

Sorry, if my english is a bit simple =/ Its not my main language.

I'm personally not so concerned with Pstates and just turned any green functionally off in Bios. Pstates can affect a decent OC when trying to get stability.
You can if you want to park cores use Process Lasso by Bitsum technologies which I have experimented with. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you have it setup it just works in the background. The Ryzen balance/performance algorithm works but less functionality and with Process Lasso, I gained a temperature drop.
And yes that's a decent DRAM OC from 2666MHz to 2933 MHz atm.
Your English is very good btw.:D

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
I'm personally not so concerned with Pstates and just turned any green functionally off in Bios. Pstates can affect a decent OC when trying to get stability.
You can if you want to park cores use Process Lasso by Bitsum technologies which I have experimented with. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you have it setup it just works in the background. The Ryzen balance/performance algorithm works but less functionality and with Process Lasso, I gained a temperature drop.
And yes that's a decent DRAM OC from 2666MHz to 2933 MHz atm.
Your English is very good btw.:D

Thanks for your thought on P-State settings and OC
Had a wiered issue today.

PC runs perfect the last day and today I got stuck at the Windows 10 loading screen. I was watching the white dots rnning in a circle for about 10 minutes.
Thought, maybe a Windows update is rolling in. But nope...
Tried to fix the issue by resetting the bios, Windows repair tool etc. Even secure boot wasn't helping me.
Had to install the OS again. Now its fine again. But it was really odd.
OK, this is OT in this thread 😉
But I had to tell you this *lol*

Oh, I'm glad, my english isn't too shabby^^

Greets-Fox
Greetings

MeanMachine
Level 13
Woot!! We have an updated Bios.
An official update for the CVIH is finally released.
Go here:https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/ Update AGESA code to 1.0.0.6 -1403- Improve system stability.
Bios testing time: YAY

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine
Level 13
New Parameters Functions and Values for the enthusiastic.
Memory clocks Added dividers for memory clocks up to DDR4-4000 without refclk adjustment. Please note that values greater than DDR4-2667 is overclocking. Your mileage may vary 133.33MT/s intervals (2667, 2933, 3067, 3200, 3333, 3466, 3600, 3733, 3866, 4000)

Command rate (CR) The amount of time, in cycles, between when a DRAM chip is selected and a command is executed. 2T CR can be very beneficial for stability with high memory clocks, or for 4-DIMM configurations. 2T, 1T

ProcODT (CPU on-die termination) A resistance value, in ohms, that determines how a completed memory signal is terminated. Higher values can help stabilize higher data rates. Values in the range of 60-96 can prove helpful. Integer values (ohms)
tWCL/tWL/tCWL CAS Write Latency, or the amount of time it takes to write to the open memory bank. WCL is generally configured equal to CAS or CAS-1. This can be a significant timing for stability, and lower values often prove better. Integer values (cycles)
tRC Row cycle time, or the number of clock cycles required for a memory row to complete a full operational cycle. Lower values can notably improve performance, but should not be set lower than tRP+tRAS for stability reasons. Integer values (cycles)
tFAW Four activation window, or the time that must elapse before new memory banks can be activated after four ACTIVATE commands have been issued. Configured to a minumum 4x tRRD_S, but values >8x tRRD_S are often used for stability. Integer values (ns)
tWR Write recovery time, or the time that must elapse between a valid write operation and the precharging of another bank. Higher values are often beneficial for stability, and values < 8 can quickly corrupt data stored in RAM. Integer values (ns)
CLDO_VDDP Voltage for the DDR4 PHY on the SoC. Somewhat counterintuitively, lowering VDDP can often be more beneficial for stability than raising CLDO_VDDP. Advanced overclockers should also know that altering CLDO_VDDP can move or resolve memory holes. Small changes to VDDP can have a big effect, and VDDP cannot not be set to a value greater than VDIMM-0.1V (not to exceed 1.05V). A cold reboot is required if you alter this voltage.

Sidenote: pre-1.0.0.6 BIOSes may also have an entry labeled “VDDP” that alters the external voltage level sent to the CPU VDDP pins. This is not the same parameter as CLDO_VDDP in AGESA 1.0.0.6.
Integer values (V)
tRDWR / tWRRD Read-to-write and write-to-read latency, or the time that must elapse between issuing sequential read/write or write/read commands. Integer values (cycles)
tRDRD / tWRWR Read-to-read and write-to-write latency, or the time between sequential read or write requests (e.g. DIMM-to-DIMM, or across ranks). Lower values can significantly improve DRAM throughput, but high memory clocks often demand relaxed timings. Integer values (cycles)
Geardown Mode Allows the DRAM device to run off its internally-generated ½ rate clock for latching on the command or address buses. ON is the default for speeds greater than DDR4-2667, however the benefit of ON vs. OFF will vary from memory kit to memory kit. Enabling Geardown Mode will override your current command rate. On/Off
Rtt Controls the performance of DRAM internal termination resistors during nominal, write, and park states. Nom(inal), WR(ite), and Park integers (ohms)
tMAW Maximum activation window, or the maximum number of times a DRAM row can be activated before adjacent memory rows must be refreshed to preserve data. Integer values (cycles)
tMAC Maximum activate count, or the number of times a row is activated by the system before adjacent row refresh. Must be equal to or less than tMAW. Integer values (cycles)
tRFC Refresh cycle time, or the time it takes for the memory to read and re-write information to the same DRAM cell for the purposes of preserving information. This is typically a timing automatically derived from other values. Integer values (cycles)
tRFC2 Refresh cycle time for double frequency (2x) mode. This is typically a timing automatically derived from other values. Integer values (cycles)
tRFC4 Refresh cycle time for quad frequency (4x) mode. This is typically a timing automatically derived from other values. Integer values (cycles)
tRRD_S Activate to activate delay (short), or the number of clock cycles between activate commands in a different bank group. Integer values (cycles)
tRRD_L Activate to activate delay (long), or the number of clock cycles between activate commands in the same bank group. Integer values (cycles)
tWR Write recovery time, or the time that must elapse between a valid write operation and the precharging of another bank. Higher values are often better for stability. Integer values (ns)
tWTR_S Write to read delay (short), or the time between a write transaction and read command on a different bank group. Integer values (cycles)
tWTR_L Write to read delay (long), or the time between a write transaction and read command on the same bank group. Integer values (cycles)
tRTP Read to precharge time, or the number of clock cycles between a READ command to a row and a precharge command to the same rank. Integer values (cycles)
DRAM Power Down Can modestly save system power, at the expense of higher DRAM latency, by putting DRAM into a quiescent state after a period of inactivity. On/Off

Courtesy from AMD.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

I'm a bit curious as to why there has been no response since the AGESA Code 1.0.0.6 -1403 update release.
I was at least expecting to see some excited and hopeful responses looking forward related to this.

I plan on buying the ROG HERO VI for my next build, but I have been waiting to see how these bios and microcode updates turn out.
I have been a little disappointed that so far we are limited to an O\C of 4.1 GHz to date and was really hoping to be able to breach 5GHz barrier using my Corsair 115i AIO watercooler rig with the 1700X & 1800 X processors
I have also been patient and putting it off due to my previous experience with my current ASUS M5A99FX PRO Rev 2.0. and partially expecting that this new ROG Hero VI might also get a REV. 2.0 that might include DDR5 memory(a guy can wish)

My hope was born out of the fact that with my current AMD FX8370\ASUS M5A99FX PRO Rev. 2.0 build with above mentioned AIO unit(280mm rad), I have been easily surpassing stable gaming O\C of 5.1GHz @ 54C\20C ambient, and there is a lot of headroom left to spare. I suspect that if I put in the time and continue tweaking this rig, that I might actually be able to surpass 5.5GHz(in winter ambient temps of 20C) with little trouble since my ASUS mobo has been so solid and reliable. (from everything I have read, the M5A99FX PRO has all the equivalent components and tuning capability sans the cosmetics of the more expensive ROG AM3+ mobo's. And I now believe it thoroughly.) In fact. I have been so impressed with this Mobo that even after I build my RYZEN rig, I will not retire my current system. Instead I will repurpose it to becoming my Entertainment\Streaming\Torrenting System & Secondary Gaming rig for the living room.

I just wanted to break the silence here since I just joined and I am looking forward to see how thing develop with the latest BIOS & microcode updates using the top speed Ram(4000mhz) and hoping that we will start seeing the artificially limited 4.1ghz O\C surpassed before too long.

P.S.>>> Hey ASUS!!! Any news on a possible REV. 2.0 Hero VI with possible DDR5 ram and higher ram clocks? Just Saying!

Keep up the great products ASUS! and to the rest of you ROG's!!! Keep the tweak news coming.... I can't wait to join in on the fun myself.

Cheers Louie!

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Louie, Welcome to ROG 🙂 and thanks for your contribution.

My observations as far as RAM is concerned leaves little doubt that AGESA Code 1.0.0.6 -1403 update release (whilst beneficial to some) still has a long way to go even with over 26 new RAM parameters to play with. I'm waiting for some positive results from testers and so far some are negative. It is early days yet as 1403 official is only 10days old.

My most stable configuration is still with Bios 1002 and a reluctance to update to 1403. A reluctance on the premise that if your stable at your current OC then why change and I certainly have the best rig performance wise that I have had to date.
I don't have the resources to keep trying different RAM types and speeds so I'm happy for the time with what I have. It seems that depending on the RAM and CPU combo, this platform yields different results RAM and MB wise and still requires manual Tweaking of DRAM Timing Control and Voltage.

All that I have read and tested leads me to believe that 5.0GHz on the 1800X is unachievable even with a H115i which I am using. Best I can achieve is a 4.35GHz OC with the 1800X and required 1.52V on the core which pushed my temps past 80C and so, was not 100% stable. At 4.1GHz, I am stable with Vcore at 1.375V and temperatures are good, performance is still great and a significant improvement compared to my FX-9590 at 5.2GHz. Higher CPU frequency does not always equate to better performance however higher frequency DDR4 RAM does have more significant performance gains on the AM4 platform.

DDR5 Motherboards, I doubt you will see within the next 4-5years and a MB CVI Hero revision/upgrade won't be anytime soon.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]