cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ryzen 7 1800X build impressions.

MeanMachine
Level 13
This is not a review as there are many out there. Mostly good and some complaining of poor optimization when gaming. Other reviewers basing their results on a 3.5GHz saying locked frequency and skewed graphs showing better results for Intel I7-6900K or 6950X. :mad: I take those reviews as Biased with a pinch of salt.
Just check out the price performance ratio. OMG has Intel been ripping us off.?

This is my latest build log based on the following specs:
CPU: RYZEN 7 1800X
MB: ROG Crosshair VI Hero
PSU: Antec HCP 850w Platinum Pro
DIMMs: Corsair 16GB (2X8)DDR4 CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 .
AIO: Corsair Hydro H115i
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T with all ML fans.

BIOS.
I updated to Bios 1002 to try. Not tried any of the other revisions as yet.
Qcode listings have many changes and some new unfamiliar listings. Qcode Od is undocumented which I got a lot off originally.
Once Bios was configured correctly it dosen't happen unless I switch the PSU off atm.
When I power on, the system Posts but sends me to Bios each time. I have to select boot priority to one of the two entries listed in Boot menu.

Boot Menu list has two entries:
1. M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
2. Windows Boot Manager (M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB) When I choose this entry Bios then goes to the OS.
I can't as yet boot straight to Windows. Bios tells me to adjust\disable Fan Speed low limit option. Tried all kinds of settings with no luck yet.

I had issues with my XMP profile which does not work. I manually keyed in the SPD Timings and Voltage and now clocked at 2933mhz.

It was easy to get 4GHz on the CPU, I just used the multiplier with BCLK at 100MHz.
One thing I have noticed is my temperatures dont read correct at 50C idle and research tells me that is an incorrect reading. My temperature probe tells me around 20C lower is correct.

Initial results based on Cinebench R15, CPUid HWMonitor, Aida64 and CPUz

I tested for 20mins in AIDA64 and temps got to 76C however the Ryzen Balance set for performance kicked in and increased my fans then temps settled at 67C.
I wanted to try Realbench stress test but I cant get it to run atm. 😞 The app opens but when I click on test nothing happens. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Here are some Stress test results:

Initial result are stable at 4.0GHz and i'm not done yet. Any comments or advice much appreciated. 😛 🙂

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
98 REPLIES 98

Saltyfish wrote:
I manage to get to 4160mhz on air but it sucks that cpu-z crashes everytime when I try to validate. Now I can't submit this on HWbot.

You have instability, if you can't get CPU-Z validation you've got no chance of getting any bench runs IMO.

For example my 1st R7 1700 on 3.8GHz stability tested profile, without any increase of voltage will hit 3.95GHz for CPU-Z validation. Not tested my 2nd for validations, but here is HWBot subs CB15 and 3DM FS.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Interesting to note the variations in voltages per different CPU's.

So my current (stable enough for me at the moment) set up is the following

1800X @ 4.015Ghz using a 110 BCLK and 36.5 multiplier

2933Mhz (D.O.C.P 5) for my Vengeance LPX 3200CL16 32Gb (4x8) RAM. Currently this RAM will not clock any higher on the latest bios

Voltages

CPU core set to offset (+0.0125) but note, no custom P states have been set.
DRAM voltage 1.35v
DRAM boot 1.35v
LLC level 2

GPU R9 290

With a Swiftech H220X (cooler that's drying up a bit!)

I haven't stress tested it for any lengthy periods, but short runs Cinebench, Realbench and CPU-Z stress proved fine, temps rose to the 'corrected value of 65-70C and the CPU voltage remained around the 1.375v level at max during those short runs. (very brief spikes above that occasionally)

Cinebench score marks are quite varied, from upwards of 1780, down to 1650, so I'm guessing I need to see what else Windows is doing in the background before coming to a settled score with that !

As I wondered your 1080 score is rather low, compared to what my Gigabyte G1 8GB @stock boost clocks is giving me in cinebench.64019

I am very happy with my news system, No matter what programs i run system always feels responsive! Goal achieved! Power, Beauty, Ease of Maintenance and Silence!

I'll soon upload a build log to youtube how this beast came to be 😉

I have a Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 7 1800X with a Noctua NH-D15, and no matter what I do prime 95 gets the temp over 80c and shouts the pc down. When I had the overclock voltage Offset mode on the bios, the windows monitoring programs would only register the multiplier at 22, 2.2ghz. When I changed the voltage to auto, windows see's the multiplier correctly/ 3.8ghz, however even at the voltage set at 3.2, when benchmarking with Prime95, the temp gets over 80 and the PC shuts down. I tried overclocking with both multiplier and P-State and the same issue is happening.
Any help on fixing this would be appreciated *

however even at the voltage set at 3.2

WHAT, 3.2 V? Do you hate your CPU?

panni wrote:
WHAT, 3.2 V? Do you hate your CPU?

I'm sorry, I meant 1.32

bkrieger wrote:
I have a Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 7 1800X with a Noctua NH-D15, and no matter what I do prime 95 gets the temp over 80c and shouts the pc down. When I had the overclock voltage Offset mode on the bios, the windows monitoring programs would only register the multiplier at 22, 2.2ghz. When I changed the voltage to auto, windows see's the multiplier correctly/ 3.8ghz, however even at the voltage set at 3.2, when benchmarking with Prime95, the temp gets over 80 and the PC shuts down. I tried overclocking with both multiplier and P-State and the same issue is happening.
Any help on fixing this would be appreciated *

I recognise your typo (3.2v instead of 1.32v).
Heat is your nemesis bkrieger and becomes more important when using an Air cooler. The Noctua is a good air cooler however limited with an extreme processor and will limit your OC to 3.6GHz with very little headroom. As you see from my previous posts, 1.375V on the core and at 4.1GHZ is achievable with the H115i with stability and temps under load at 62-65C. max.

P95 is a harsh tester and will push your CPU to the max without an indication of why a worker has stopped.
Download AIDA64 to stress test the CPU,FPU and Cache and then post the results for analysis. With AIDA64 you can also test your sub systems to determine if indeed it is the CPU. List your RAM Part No to eliminate your RAM combo/size and frequency from the equation.

Bring your Bios back to default to test the system at stock bclk and start with 1.375V on the core. Make no other changes, pstates nor offsets and let's see the results before further Bios Tweaks. Also determine your Rail voltages and temps under load. For this purpose I use HWinfo64 to check Tdie readout and rail voltages for any signs of Vdroop.

Let's take it from there when results are in. Best is to take screenshots at the 10min during testing, then use IMIGUR to link your results.
Please also list your full system profile including system fans, tower case, PSU and Bios version.:D
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thank You

I have determined the problem. I had taken everything on Bios back to stock and Prime was still getting upbtob75 degree. I realized when Ininstalled my fan, originally it was on. Build PC, Crosshair V Formula Z. I did not clean the old thermal paste off the heatsink. In addition, when I purchased the Ryzen and Crosshair vI Hero, I had not received the Noctua AM4 upgrade kit yet, but my motherboard supports AM3. I had the AM3 bracket installed. In the meantime I have received the AM4 mounting bracket upgrade. Last night I cleaned off the paste off both the CPU, and heatsink as well as installed the AM4 bracket. It had made a huge difference. I started at 3.7 ghz, and as of now I am at 3.9 ghs, and I was able to use the offset voltage. I had it running all night in Prime95, and it was holding a temp of 65c. The voltage in The AMD Suite shows 1.32, but HW monitor shows 1.37, so I'm not sure which bone is correct, especially since I'm using Offset voltage which I'm confused about. I have it set to a slight increase with the + sign.
As far as my RAM, I am using 4 8GB Sticks of Vengence LPX-3200 Low Profile 3200 MHZ Ram, part# *CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. I changed the timings to 16X16X16X36. My Bios version is 1501, case is a Coolmaster HAF932, I have the stock case Fan in the front of the case and top of the case. For the Rear I have a Noctua, I forget the size. I believe it's he same size as one of the CPU fans. On the side of the case blowing on the video card is a Noctua 120mm.
Right now I have 1 GTX 980 TI. Originally in my old system I had 2- GTX 980 TI in Sli, but when I got *the Crosshair Vi Hero, Bios wasn't seeing the 2nd card, so I warrantied it through EVGA, and the replacement should show up shortly. I will link my AIDA64 results.

Also, is it better when overclocking to use P-State vs Multiplier and offset voltages?

Thanks

http://m.imgur.com/a/Fe9pi
*http://m.imgur.com/a/tgmYf

nice build there , I have a 1700x and a asus strix x370 I don't get temperature readings even after bios update and windows fresh install ,amd driver installation etc, does someone know when the mainboards usally get bios updates or if you have to do something special with the amd am4 boards 😜 ?