cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ryzen 7 1800X build impressions.

MeanMachine
Level 13
This is not a review as there are many out there. Mostly good and some complaining of poor optimization when gaming. Other reviewers basing their results on a 3.5GHz saying locked frequency and skewed graphs showing better results for Intel I7-6900K or 6950X. :mad: I take those reviews as Biased with a pinch of salt.
Just check out the price performance ratio. OMG has Intel been ripping us off.?

This is my latest build log based on the following specs:
CPU: RYZEN 7 1800X
MB: ROG Crosshair VI Hero
PSU: Antec HCP 850w Platinum Pro
DIMMs: Corsair 16GB (2X8)DDR4 CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 .
AIO: Corsair Hydro H115i
Case: Corsair Graphite 780T with all ML fans.

BIOS.
I updated to Bios 1002 to try. Not tried any of the other revisions as yet.
Qcode listings have many changes and some new unfamiliar listings. Qcode Od is undocumented which I got a lot off originally.
Once Bios was configured correctly it dosen't happen unless I switch the PSU off atm.
When I power on, the system Posts but sends me to Bios each time. I have to select boot priority to one of the two entries listed in Boot menu.

Boot Menu list has two entries:
1. M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
2. Windows Boot Manager (M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 500GB) When I choose this entry Bios then goes to the OS.
I can't as yet boot straight to Windows. Bios tells me to adjust\disable Fan Speed low limit option. Tried all kinds of settings with no luck yet.

I had issues with my XMP profile which does not work. I manually keyed in the SPD Timings and Voltage and now clocked at 2933mhz.

It was easy to get 4GHz on the CPU, I just used the multiplier with BCLK at 100MHz.
One thing I have noticed is my temperatures dont read correct at 50C idle and research tells me that is an incorrect reading. My temperature probe tells me around 20C lower is correct.

Initial results based on Cinebench R15, CPUid HWMonitor, Aida64 and CPUz

I tested for 20mins in AIDA64 and temps got to 76C however the Ryzen Balance set for performance kicked in and increased my fans then temps settled at 67C.
I wanted to try Realbench stress test but I cant get it to run atm. 😞 The app opens but when I click on test nothing happens. Any advice there would be appreciated.

Here are some Stress test results:

Initial result are stable at 4.0GHz and i'm not done yet. Any comments or advice much appreciated. 😛 🙂

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]
98 REPLIES 98

gupsterg
Level 13
Glad you found the thread useful 🙂 . I do update it as and when needed.

We have gained a lot of insight from Elmor, Raja@ASUS and The Stilt, so kudos to them really, as a lot in OP of that thread is information from their posts :cool: .

I really believe the C6H is fantastic board, there are many facets as to why I think this. I do view threads on OCN for say Taichi, K7, etc and there is no doubt in my mind the UEFI is the best on C6H. I just reckon a lot don't use the resources available to them and struggle with UEFI settings and overclocking process. There are many with such fantastic results IMO with great stability :cool: .

Several owners I have had to explain and help via PM there. All I'm doing is reiterating what is in threads already, where they just have not used the information or understood it and then guiding them on a one to one basis.

Have so far really enjoyed my move back to AMD rig 🙂 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Darth_Ender
Level 9
Well, at least i know my issues in getting my system stable aren't due to my overclocking being too optimistic.

I circumvented those segfaults when parallel building in linux by upping the voltage of the cpu under load and loosening my ram settings. No segfaults since. Still very fast with 4Ghz cpu and 3200Mhz 64GB ram. Odd considering the problem is probably software specific. I've been good since though.

But on the other hand, I wouldn't be terribly upset to have a reason to get a threadripper. building my kernel in under a minute is almost worth eating the money i'd lose on the ryzen mobo and cpu. Not quite though.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well your current result is excellent bkrieger 😛 and a profile worth saving. (depends on ambient ofc).
I was unable to boot with any form of - offset and I don't use pstate overclocking. I want all my cores operational and have personally not found any temperature improvement and not concerned with power usage. Use the Ryzen balanced formula within windows although again I have mine set to performance.

Results are going to vary depending now on your target frequency and your core voltage, with the cooler your using.
As your stable with P95, (I don't recommend unattended overnight runs) run a few benchmarks with your GTX 980 Ti with (K) boost and i'm sure you will be impressed.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it*

FoxTech
Level 7
Just a little update of my 1800x

Since Bios Update 1701 my CPU runs with ~ 4,180 Ghz and ram (2666) with nearly 3000 Mhz
Only issue... I can't set the vcore correctly in bios. Always gives me peaks up to 1,395 volts
I set voltage to 1,325 ... Maybe its the mix of the multi & bclk & P-State?
Greetings

MeanMachine
Level 13
Is there some instability with your system FoxTech ?
Here is a comparison with my HWMonitor to draw any conclusions. System is at idle.

My system continues to run stable with my current OC and temps are ideal. I have no Pstate OC and this may be your issue. I notice some variation with package temperatures and this may be due to the cooler your using.

BTW: Did Bios 1701 fix your cold boot bug/issue.? Probably not as others are still complaining.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

FoxTech
Level 7
double post... sry
Greetings

FoxTech
Level 7
Hello Meanmachine!
Thanks for your reply and your screenshot. I use a costum water cooling solution. Max temps i ever saw on my system was 66 °C
I managed to get the voltages come down.
Used another P-State setting for the voltage.
But cores still going up to nearly 4,2 Ghz. Looks like, the core boost is still active. In Bios its deaktivated.
Sometimes its stable. Did a few cinebench runs (nice score btw)
But on the other hand in idle, I get the typicle Blackscreen with the Q-Code 8.

Will do OC without P-States but that will disable down clocking in idle, am I right?
The 1701 Bios brought back the Cold Boot issue, till I put all settings per hand. Now, its better with CB-Issue. But I blame it on my 4x8 GB Ram
I use the hyperx fury 2666 running @ 2933.
With BCLK OC i managed to run it at 3000 mhz.

Update:

I did a few test and benchmarks and figured out, that not my CPU is failing with those settings. Its my RAM!
4x8Gb from two different sets may be the issue.
Will swap two of them and check again in a few days.
Greetings

Vlada011
Level 10
Nice, AMD just talk about Ryzen 2.
I didn't heard for new Chipset. With Intel you first hear for new chipset and new 1151 V4 and than about processors.
Off course confirmation of incompatibility follow first news.

With AMD nice Crosshair VI Extreme, it's not ultra expensive, price is high but not tragic, now Ryzen 2 in 2018, then next Gen Ryzen in 2019, than revision in 2020.
All of them on Crosshair VI Extreme. ASUS will launch VII maybe, but AM4 socket compatibility for OC will be full.
Threadripper even better. Zenith cost a lot but there is X399-E Strix. E-ATX beast as well.
PCI-E x4, PCI-E x1. Supreme FX, U.2 port nice mobo for 16 cores.
Anyway after Intel mess settle down, performance of i7-8700K in games will be similar to Threadripper, hahahahahaha. ahahaaahaa.. this is more hysteric laughing because 2 weeks before Intel employers sold stocks, prepare own ass for crash and decide to share old secret with public I decide to spend money enough to cover Crosshair VI Extreme on RVE10 and RGB Monoblock instead 1800X or CVIE. Not immediately, but week after week they will easy by easy to cripple performance and increase security and in same time that would not be total security. Because they can't fix main issue.
But it;'s nice to try to forgot on that and occupie with other problems.
That's like you waiting winter without one door on room, and instead to remove in different room secure, warm you sit without one door and paint window and debate with wife did you seal up windows properly.