cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Need Help] Choosing between two platforms...

ITAngel
Level 7
Hey guys I am wondering if you can help me decide what is a better long term option on two platforms I have that I cannot make a decision on.

System 1 = 9900K + ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME Z390

or

System 2 = 3700X + (Not purchased yet X470 / X570 motherboard) I was looking at the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO for a purchased or VIII.

Which is a better long term system to keep since I am planning to sell one of them. Note I test the 3700X with a ASUS TUF Gaming X570 motherboard but I think that board had some odd issues that was causing it to be not stable. However when running find I can't tell much the different between the 9900K and the 3700X. Which tells me the percentage is very close to each other. Now fans run better on the Z390 motherboard but that is a $580 motherboard versus a $199 motherboard is going to have better AI / bios / software. Anyways, if giving the opportunity which of those two units would you keep and why?

Thanks in Advance!

Final Note: I do run dual 25" 1080p by 144Hz @ 1ms monitors with a MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and 32GB DDR4 3000MHz.
"Everything changes and nothing stands still" - Heraclitus
"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer." - Pumping Iron
5 REPLIES 5

RBMK3_6
Level 9
My choice would be the Ryzen system because the 9900k, while an excellent cpu is basically going to be a "what you see is what you get" sorta deal. That platform/socket is the last of it's generation. There is no upgrade path or anything. According to the rumour and etc, Intel's 10th gen is going to be a brand new platform which won't be compatible with the intel 9000 series platform.

Compared to AMD, not only can you upgrade all the way to a 16 core with the Ryzen 3000 series (Double the cores of the 3700x) but it's supposed to be supported until the end of 2020 which means you can always upgrade to Ryzen 4000 series once Asus releases a stable BIOS.

So just for that, I'd pick Ryzen. If intel's current platform worked with their next gen cpus, it might have been a different story because then, I'd consider what you use your system for.

ITAngel
Level 7
RBMK3.6 wrote:
My choice would be the Ryzen system because the 9900k, while an excellent cpu is basically going to be a "what you see is what you get" sorta deal. That platform/socket is the last of it's generation. There is no upgrade path or anything. According to the rumour and etc, Intel's 10th gen is going to be a brand new platform which won't be compatible with the intel 9000 series platform.

Compared to AMD, not only can you upgrade all the way to a 16 core with the Ryzen 3000 series (Double the cores of the 3700x) but it's supposed to be supported until the end of 2020 which means you can always upgrade to Ryzen 4000 series once Asus releases a stable BIOS.

So just for that, I'd pick Ryzen. If intel's current platform worked with their next gen cpus, it might have been a different story because then, I'd consider what you use your system for.

I see, and that makes perfect sense to be honest with you. Thank you! I do audio production, gaming, video editing etc... is my all in all system but just wanted to make sure i have a bit of room to upgrade maybe one piece of hardware like the CPU if anything before needing to upgrade the entire thing. So far Intel works perfect atm easy system no issues at all but I wonder if later on I may need more cores for other project etc...

Is it worth going X570 or X470 ASUS is more than enough for 16 cores later on?

ITAngel wrote:
I see, and that makes perfect sense to be honest with you. Thank you! I do audio production, gaming, video editing etc... is my all in all system but just wanted to make sure i have a bit of room to upgrade maybe one piece of hardware like the CPU if anything before needing to upgrade the entire thing. So far Intel works perfect atm easy system no issues at all but I wonder if later on I may need more cores for other project etc...

Is it worth going X570 or X470 ASUS is more than enough for 16 cores later on?

X470 should be more than enough. My X370 is able to run the 3900X just fine and I am sure it can even run the 16 core 3950X as long as I don't overclock. The key thing is to wait for a stable BIOS since Asus's BIOS has been all over the place. The only reason to get X570 is if you want PCI-e 4.0 and Thunderbolt 3 but those are some expensive motherboards that won't make much of a difference for a very long time.

RBMK3.6 wrote:
X470 should be more than enough. My X370 is able to run the 3900X just fine and I am sure it can even run the 16 core 3950X as long as I don't overclock. The key thing is to wait for a stable BIOS since Asus's BIOS has been all over the place. The only reason to get X570 is if you want PCI-e 4.0 and Thunderbolt 3 but those are some expensive motherboards that won't make much of a difference for a very long time.

Ohhh I see what you mean. Didn't even think of the Thunderbolt 3. Also I didn't even thinking of anything in today market except some expensive Drives that might make use of the features that new X570 provide such as PCIe 4.0 and Thunderbolt. I was debating grabbing something like this here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-AMD-Socket-X470-AM4-ATX-Desktop-Motherboard-A/1...

ITAngel
Level 7
Thank You for your advice @RBMK3.6 I will keep that into consideration. I will continue doing research between the two chips and so on to see if I should drop my current mobo and cpu to grab a mobo. 😉