cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard LEDs staying on

hosko
Level 7
I am having issues with my motherboard LEDs not turning off when the board system is Shut Down. I have set the motherboard LEDs and RGB LED headers to static red in Aura and when the system is powered up everything is working correctly. However when the system goes into shutdown the headers turn off but the motherboard LEDs go into rainbow cycle mode. In the UEFI I have set the LEDs to off when the system is off, that doesn't seem to do anything. I have to manually leave all LEDs off in the UEFI because my computer is in the same room as my baby sleeps and my wife isn't keen on the disco mode.

I have read people having issues with Aura not turning on but not with it not turning everything off.

Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

Baskura
Level 8
Hello,

Your board is fine, so don't panic!

The reason the LED lighting is staying on is because you need to go to Advanced > APM Configuration > ErP Ready > Enable (S4+S5) in your BIOS.

This will allow the motherboard to go into low power mode when turning your system off.

Be warned though, if you're running a CPU/RAM overclock near the limit, your machine may not boot correctly from cold (the board not having voltage), so make sure you save your overclock settings before trying, just in case your board forgets them.

Baskura wrote:
The reason the LED lighting is staying on is because you need to go to Advanced > APM Configuration > ErP Ready > Enable (S4+S5) in your BIOS.

This will allow the motherboard to go into low power mode when turning your system off.

That mode says it disables the LED lighting. Does that mean only when off?

hosko wrote:
That mode says it disables the LED lighting. Does that mean only when off?

Simply enable S3+S5, then make sure LED lighting is set to enabled in the 'Onboard devices section'. You'll see there's also an option in there that says turn of LED lighting during low power states (or something like it) which you have to enable (it's right underneath the option to enable/disable LED lighting).

Then you're good to go.

My Crosshair VI does this as well. The only difference is that mine seems to retain the breathing red that I have setup through the Aura software and not cycle through colors.

Baskura, thanks for your setting recommendations. Unfortunately modifying the settings you suggested didn't work for me. I tried it a couple of times and toggled the settings off and on. I'm on the 9945 Beta BIOS. Maybe that makes a difference and it works fine for the 1201 or others.

Hosko, did modifying the settings Baskura work for you? If so, what BIOS are you running?

I'm also wondering if it's something to do with the Power Supply. My Ryzen build inherited the Cooler Master Hybrid from my old X79. Just a thought.

Baskura wrote:
Hello,

Your board is fine, so don't panic!

Be warned though, if you're running a CPU/RAM overclock near the limit, your machine may not boot correctly from cold (the board not having voltage), so make sure you save your overclock settings before trying, just in case your board forgets them.

Not true. You only have to set led to stealth when pc is shut down. Then the led is turned of when you shut down your computer. Forget about ErP ready. It's rubbish. You seem to know nothing about bios settings and what they do.

jbasemoine
Level 9
in the bios there is a option that ask what to with LED'S when system is shutdown and or in sleep, i unchecked that box and all led's are off when system is shutdown.

I had the same problem and then just stumbled upon it.
Open armory Crate. Select devices>Select motherboard>shutdown settings turn it OFF! I also found a video on youtube that can show you the way.:D

https://youtu.be/coWDgT4d5NM

I hope this helps.

This is the correct way to disable the led lighting when shut down, along with the off setting in bios. Do this on all my systems

lordinfin8 wrote:
I had the same problem and then just stumbled upon it.
Open armory Crate. Select devices>Select motherboard>shutdown settings turn it OFF! I also found a video on youtube that can show you the way.:D

https://youtu.be/coWDgT4d5NM

I hope this helps.

J_Bish
Level 10
Found another setting in AI Suite 3.03.17 to turn off audio leds

hosko wrote:
I am having issues with my motherboard LEDs not turning off when the board system is Shut Down. I have set the motherboard LEDs and RGB LED headers to static red in Aura and when the system is powered up everything is working correctly. However when the system goes into shutdown the headers turn off but the motherboard LEDs go into rainbow cycle mode. In the UEFI I have set the LEDs to off when the system is off, that doesn't seem to do anything. I have to manually leave all LEDs off in the UEFI because my computer is in the same room as my baby sleeps and my wife isn't keen on the disco mode.

I have read people having issues with Aura not turning on but not with it not turning everything off.

Any ideas?