Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MODDED BIOS FILES EFI Intel RAID ROM 15.1.0.2545 Download

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
**ALL FILES UPDATED WITH LATEST MICROCODE - MARCH 11 2018 - 6:15PM EST**

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Amy65Cmu51iJz0W2-V6VlOozxl7K

*That link should take you to the main folder where you can find the motherboard model you want along with the bios version.*
*NVME TESTING folder contains BIOS files that have been modded for NVME support*

*if you have a special request for another bios revision just post on this thread or PM me... please be patient since for some reason I no longer receive email notifications from Asus Forum when I get PM's or to subscribed threads.*

**if you'd like to make a donation follow the link below. Thank you!**
https://www.paypal.me/gmpcrepair

**MUST BE FLASHED USING BIOS FLASHBACK METHOD**
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
665 REPLIES 665

DarWun wrote:
I've seen the two used interchangeably since the board was released, so I just accepted that it was the norm. The modded 0801 BIOS worked without issue so I never even thought to ask for clarification before. Sorry about that.

I'll test a BIOS with the most recent microcode if that will help. I've applied the January 8, 2018 microcode using the VMware approach, and "Get-SpeculationControlSettings" identifies "Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True" after it is applied. Unfortunately the Windows 10 updates do not work on account of the microcode being loaded too late in the boot process. So I uninstalled the VMware update for now. At least I know that the microcode includes the update for my i7-4960X x79 processor.

The only caveat I have on testing a BIOS update is that it may not happen until this weekend. I've got some real world work responsibilities that may keep me from putting time in to extra-curricular activities.

1/23 - Rampage IV Black Edition BIOS 0801 in "NVME TESTING" folder now has patched microcode. Ready for you to test. :cool:
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
1/23 - Rampage IV Black Edition BIOS 0801 in "NVME TESTING" folder now has patched microcode. Ready for you to test. :cool:

Against my better judgement, I updated the BIOS tonight after I got home from work (who needs sleep 🙂 ). So far so good.

"Get-SpeculationControlSettings" report prior to update:

After Update:

Now for the testing to determine what the performance hit is.

I really appreciate the effort you spent to incorporate the update for the new microcode.

DarWun wrote:
Against my better judgement, I updated the BIOS tonight after I got home from work (who needs sleep 🙂 ). So far so good.

"Get-SpeculationControlSettings" report prior to update:

After Update:

Now for the testing to determine what the performance hit is.

I really appreciate the effort you spent to incorporate the update for the new microcode.

You're welcome! Glad it worked! :cool:
must be nice that your 4960x was included in microcode updates.. but my 3960x didn't. 😛
Hopefully by the end of the month...
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
You're welcome! Glad it worked! :cool:
must be nice that your 4960x was included in microcode updates.. but my 3960x didn't. 😛
Hopefully by the end of the month...

I still have a 3960x from an RMA that I want to eventually install in a home-built NAS running on a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. So hopefully there will be a microcode update at some point. I'm conflicted as to whether I'll apply the update once released though based on the initial basic PC Mark 10 benchmark I just finished running with the 4960x. Scores dropped from 5000 (approx.) to 4000. This benchmark is supposed to be light on all of the tasks that are affected by the "patch", so "my days of not taking [Intel] seriously [as to the "no impact on typical usage] are certainly coming to a middle". <-- Firefly reference to the un-initiated 😉

DarWun wrote:
I still have a 3960x from an RMA that I want to eventually install in a home-built NAS running on a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. So hopefully there will be a microcode update at some point. I'm conflicted as to whether I'll apply the update once released though based on the initial basic PC Mark 10 benchmark I just finished running with the 4960x. Scores dropped from 5000 (approx.) to 4000. This benchmark is supposed to be light on all of the tasks that are affected by the "patch", so "my days of not taking [Intel] seriously [as to the "no impact on typical usage] are certainly coming to a middle". <-- Firefly reference to the un-initiated 😉

Ouch. :eek: Pardon me if my math isn't correct.. but that's a 20% drop in performance score?! I'd be willing to bet that they could keep performance the same if they weren't so "rushed" to release microcode updates! The whole ordeal seems very sloppy and rushed, in my opinion..
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
Ouch. :eek: Pardon me if my math isn't correct.. but that's a 20% drop in performance score?! I'd be willing to bet that they could keep performance the same if they weren't so "rushed" to release microcode updates! The whole ordeal seems very sloppy and rushed, in my opinion..

Sloppy (rushed???) indeed. The January microcode updates were no longer being offered when I checked the available Intel processor downloads today. I suspect this is a result of Intel's recent acknowledgement that the updates result in reboots for some processors. I haven't had any reboot issues so far after the update (fingers crossed) with my Ivy Bridge-E processor. So I'm going to stick with it for now.

The 20% drop in performance from the PCMark 10 benchmark definitely didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. But I still have some testing do before I decide if the patch is going to affect day to day use. I planned on doing some more benchmarks tonight, but the release of a new windows insider preview version put those plans on hold for now. I'll post back once I've been able to spend some more time evaluating system performance.

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:

here's older one i found in 2017 they seemed successful i wonder about the oc part of it?
rampage iv black edition, corsair ax1500i, corei7 4960X 4.00ghz w/ h105, corsair dominator platinum 2133 xmp @ 2.133 ghz, sapphire r9 295x2, 900d flagship.

derek.barker604@gmail.com wrote:
here's older one i found in 2017 they seemed successful i wonder about the oc part of it?
*do I have to use the NVMe test 1st, then install the new bios? Thanks, any advise is helpful. **

DukeRaoul
Level 7
Bolts4Breakfast - will you update all of the bioses with the jan 2018 microcode eventually - or the final microcode once intel have patched things as far as possible? i'm interested in the 5001 formula one. i've been using your BIOSes for years and they seem stop on btw.

Or do all the nvme bioses have the new jan 2018 microcode already??

DukeRaoul wrote:
Bolts4Breakfast - will you update all of the bioses with the jan 2018 microcode eventually - or the final microcode once intel have patched things as far as possible? i'm interested in the 5001 formula one. i've been using your BIOSes for years and they seem stop on btw.

Or do all the nvme bioses have the new jan 2018 microcode already??

I'm working on it.. please stand by :cool:
I can add current microcode that was released, however this may not patch everyone's CPU.. just depends on what processor they're using..
for example:
your board - Rampage IV Formula
if you are using 3930K CPU it would be patched.
if you are using 3960X CPU it would not be patched.

So essentially... I'll just have to re-do them if/when Intel releases more microcode.

I hope this makes sense.

**Keep an eye on your BIOS file that's in the NVME folder.. If you see the details change to today or tomorrow's date.. that means it has been updated.
It will take some time to get through all the files in all the folders. It's at least 50 bios files total.**
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset