cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 Mounts for Crosshair VIII Hero - does the MB include headsinks?

bjcsoln
Level 7
Just trying to figure out if the Hero has heatsinks for the M2 drives, or if, as an example, I buy a corsair one that already has a heatsink will that work on the board?

Or really, do you need a heatsink for M2 drives at all?
1 REPLY 1

RedSector73
Level 12
bjcsoln@yahoo.com wrote:
Just trying to figure out if the Hero has heatsinks for the M2 drives, or if, as an example, I buy a corsair one that already has a heatsink will that work on the board?

Or really, do you need a heatsink for M2 drives at all?

The worst case is you pull off a prefitted heatsink and use the motherboard one. If you're using the Top position (the one connected to the CPU / typically boot drive) then this is what you may need to do or else it can interfere with your graphics card or otherwise foul on the motherboard. Of course if you have your graphics card mounted horizontally rather than vertically than you might avoid this issue and assuming does not foul on other parts of the motherboard it might fit.

If the M2 drive is supplied with a heatsink premounted then it typically required, if the heatsink is separate in packaging then it's optional (is my take) but your best off reading the manufacturing directions regarding this.

Are they required, my thought is 'hell yes' they get hot.