cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 PCI Card not Recognized

dminches
Level 7
I have a Crosshair VII X470 motherboard. I installed a Supermicro aoc-slg3-2m2 m.2 PCI adapter for storage only. I am not looking to boot from it.

I have the most recent BIOS (3004).

I have an M.2 card installed in M.2-1 for my Windows OS. I have nothing in M.2-2.

The BIOS does not recognize that the adapter card (or M.2 inserted card) is there. Eventually I want to put 2 cards in the adapter and set the up via RAID 0.

What do I have to do so that the BIOS (and OS) see the adapter and M.2?
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
Did you set it up correctly as per https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-2M2.pdf for use on your board ?

I don't see any documentation to suggest your selected PCI-E Add-On Card (NVMe) controller runs RAID or I can't even see a RAID controller on the riser board. You might be able to use software RAID (which `imo is useless or as useful as JBOD).
Your motherboard however does support RAID natively, I don't think this extends to add in cards.

dminches
Level 7
There isn't really any to set up on the card unless there is a conflict. I will check the BIOS settings but the card should be plug and play.

I was referring to page 3-5 (last page) motherboard settings. There are also jumper settings from what I read, that don't normally need changing.

dminches
Level 7
There are jumpers but the instructions say not to change them unless there is a conflict. It is possible there is a conflict so I am going to first have to figure that part out.

My first question is where have you installed the PCIE card. Secondly, does the SSD operate in SATA or PCIE mode. The fact is your card needs to be connected to PCIE X8 / X4_2 because it is wired to the CPU. I am not sure about PCIE X4_3 it is connected to the X470 chipset.PCIE X1_1 and PCIE X1_2 are certainly out of the question because they run at X1( one PCIE lane). You should also check if NVME Raid is enabled in the bios.

fortiscrew1 wrote:
My first question is where have you installed the PCIE card. Secondly, does the SSD operate in SATA or PCIE mode. The fact is your card needs to be connected to PCIE X8 / X4_2 because it is wired to the CPU. I am not sure about PCIE X4_3 it is connected to the X470 chipset.PCIE X1_1 and PCIE X1_2 are certainly out of the question because they run at X1( one PCIE lane). You should also check if NVME Raid is enabled in the bios.

I am making some progress.

The SSD is operating in PCIE mode. *The Supermicro card is install in the first PCIE slot.

I installed 2 identical Sabrent 256 GB M.2s in the card. *The system recognizes the 2nd card (M.2_2) fine. *It does not see the first card (M.2_1). *This is leading me to think that the first slot is conflicting with my OS M.2 which is in M.2_1. *Does that make sense?

This may require me to change the jumpers.

Does this make sense?