Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low NVME performance scores?

BillS222
Level 7

System

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus-WiFi, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB 3600RAM

Are my below Samsung 990Pro scores alarmingly low?

BenchMark Programs tell me that they are...

And if so, what can cause this?

My NVME doesn't get above 41-48 Deg C.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 084528.png

6 REPLIES 6

casanavep
Level 7

Here are a few questions that can be answered using Samsung Magician:

- Is the NVMe firmware up-to-date

- Is trim enabled under performance optimization 

- Is Over-provisioning enabled

- do you pass a full diagnostic scan

The results look pretty good, except Random 4K is lower than I would expect for this drive model. That said, that would never be noticed unless you are running a database or other intense server-type application on this system.  Well, except for when looking are benchmarks 🙂 

Yes to all.

My SSD performance is always sub par. I am running 3 SSD's.

C: = 990 Pro

😧 = SATA  870 EVO

E: = SATA 870 EVO

Could it be because I have so many drives? The 990 Pro is in the lower M2 slot with the ASUS heat sink.

😧 = D Drive

casanavep
Level 7

To address your question, indeed, it is feasible. NVMe drives and PCIe components like your graphics card often share the same bandwidth pipeline, bus. However, it's important to note that the performance metrics you've mentioned aren't concerning. Achieving read and write speeds over 6GBps signifies that your NVMe is performing at a top-tier level. The only outlier in your data seems to be the 4K Random Seeks, but this particular statistic is mainly significant for specific applications, such as those running on business servers. In general, for most users, the performance you're seeing is quiet impressive.

Here are a few other things you can verify to ensure you are getting the most out of your system:

1. BIOS Update: Make sure your BIOS is updated to version 5003. You can download this from the ASUS website for your specific motherboard model, the TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wi-Fi. After updating, remember to re-enable certain settings like DOCP, which might get reset. This is a dangerous step.  You need to know what you are doing. Never interrupt your system until the update is fully complete.  That said, it is critical to maximizing system board performance. 

2. AMD Chipset Driver: Ensure you have the AMD Chipset Driver version 5.08.02.027 installed. This is crucial for optimal performance and hardware compatibility. The driver can be downloaded from the AMD website, specifically for the AMD Socket AM4/X570 chipset.

3. Windows Updates:

• Go to the Advanced Options in Windows Updates.
    • Make sure the option "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is enabled. This ensures you get all relevant updates, including those for other Microsoft software and drivers.
    • If this option was previously disabled, perform a check for updates again. Pay special attention to optional updates, as these often include important driver updates.

Following these steps will help ensure your system is up-to-date with the latest firmware and drivers, providing better stability and performance.

Thanks. My BIOS is up to date, but I will try the Chipset drivers.

And I did see your comment that my M2 Bench Marks are not concerning. So I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks again,

Bill

dre86
Level 7

Why do you run the test with a 64GB file, try it with a 1 GB file instead (2nd pull down menu and see results than.