cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost M.2 heatsink screw for X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

coyote2
Level 7
I lost and need to replace one of the M.2 heatsink screws for my X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

They're the long black ones, for the M.2 slot farther from the CPU.

Where can I get them, please?
27 REPLIES 27

RogScott wrote:
Asus really should make replacement parts like this this easily available. I could see them selling a replacement heatsink and screws together, rather than the screws by themselves, but these are parts they intend for the customer to service (remove and replace) -- so there should be spares available to buy.

I suspect your best bet is trying to find another owner with a X570 Crosshair VII who is willing to remove one of their screws and measure it for you. If you can get the head shape, thread diameter, and thread pitch then it is likely you can find a replacement. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to order a bulk quantity (like 100), but these small screws usually are not very expensive.

I'll remove one of my screws and take it to my regional place that has every screw, maybe they can match it. Or at least measure it for me.

coyote2 wrote:
ASUS customer service 'escalated' my request, and give me this reply:

"Repair center doesn't supply parts, or part numbers."

I wrote back that I didn't consider this to be satisfactory support from ASUS, and was prepared to express this on social media and to ASUS management. So I got the predictable attempt to mollify in reply:

"...the requested part is not available right now due to part shortage. We will request this as soon as we get update for the inventory stock."

Yep. I got the same horse-pucky-ish "we don't care about you" response with my X570 chipset fan issue. So, I disassembled the thing, took pictures, posted here and on Youtube about it. Of course, with that and five dollars, I can almost get a cup of coffee.

What does Asus expect you (or any of their customers with the same issue) to do? If they'd at least give you the specs, you'd have some minuscule chance of finding a replacement. But, without that screw, that M.2 drive "bay" is pretty much worthless.

I don't know how you're configured, but I guess you could use the other M.2 slot. But, regardless of PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 issues based on the CPU, you'd probably still lose some amount of bandwidth (I do with my C8H). Another option would be an add-in card like:

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-AOC-SLG3-2M2-PCIe-Add-Card/dp/B071S3ZY8P/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_t...

But, again, it depends on whether or not you have the PCIe slots available and how much bandwidth you've got going to things like your graphics card (page 1-9 of your manual?).

coyote2
Level 7
Solution

I'm still pissed off at ASUS, but I found a solution.

The solution I didn't use was to buy another motherboard and return it for a refund after removing the screw. I think ASUS would have deserved that. (Amazon customer service once suggested that approach to a solution to me when a manufacturer lied that it had sent me a replacement part.)

The solution I chose was to buy a couple aftermarket M.2 heatsinks. Of the 4 screws of which I lost one, which hold down the board's two M.2 heatsinks, now I only need one (on the slot farther from the CPU), so now I actually have two extra (though I'll still take one to my regional place with every screw available).

Since I got heatsinks with active (fan) cooling, I imagine the SSDs are cooler now.

coyote2 wrote:
Solution
The solution I chose was to buy a couple aftermarket M.2 heatsinks.

Those are some beefy heatsinks! They look like they could keep a nuclear reactor cool. 🙂
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Those are some beefy heatsinks! They look like they could keep a nuclear reactor cool. 🙂

They make me happy since I'm a nut about cooling.

I make sure my builds have high airflow, liquid cooling, and I actually like fans on both sides of my HDD rack. I push my hardware hard.

ationfictons
Level 10
I'd be interested in seeing a photo of them installed. My C8H has its M.2 slots in a similar position to yours and the available space between the back of the graphics card and the bottom of my NH-D15S heatsink is no wider than the M.2 heatsink cover.

ationfictons wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing a photo of them installed. My C8H has its M.2 slots in a similar position to yours and the available space between the back of the graphics card and the bottom of my NH-D15S heatsink is no wider than the M.2 heatsink cover.

The fit is so tight that if I didn't tighten the screws on the heatsink, it wouldn't fit because one would hit the tabs on the PCIe slot below the lower M.2 slot. Neither of the lower PCIe slots could have cards in them that are very wide/long.

Here's a few photos:

ationfictons
Level 10
Looks good. With your liquid cooler, you have much more room for the first M.2 slot than I'd have. Thanks.

ationfictons wrote:
Looks good. With your liquid cooler, you have much more room for the first M.2 slot than I'd have. Thanks.

Ah, right, I guess that heatsink is taller than most RAM.

coyote2
Level 7
I tried quite a few approaches. I went to ASUS' Twitter and Facebook pages, from which I got lazy responses.

I got a much more energetic response from contacting the ASUS "CEO's Office" at https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/787. They offered this diagram unprompted:

(Though while they've sent me a lot of messages, last I heard the part's department is 'looking for' the screw.)