cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost M.2 heatsink screw for X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

coyote2
Level 7
I lost and need to replace one of the M.2 heatsink screws for my X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

They're the long black ones, for the M.2 slot farther from the CPU.

Where can I get them, please?
27 REPLIES 27

ationfictons
Level 10
Ouch. That's one of my great fears when doing things with my computer. I've never seen any good source of information or parts on that. The best I can recommend is to go to Asus' technical support site and see if they can 1) send you a screw or 2) give you the specs on the screw so you can try a local electronics or hardware store.

If that screw is just holding one end of the top on, you'd probably be fine without it (at least for a while). The adhesive thermal putty/tape on the lid ought to keep things attached decently. But, if that screw is somehow holding the whole M.2 connector onto the motherboard, then that's not a decent workaround.

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more, I guess you really need that screw for the compression of the thermal pad (to ensure proper contact at both the drive and the heatsink). So, hopefully, Asus will be able to at least give you the specs for the screw.

Dude1070
Level 8

Dude1070 wrote:
I used this kit for replacement screws

m.2 ssd Screw kit, M.2 Screws Mounting Screws Kit Components for Asus Gigabyte ASRock Motherboard an...

Nope -- That kit is for the drive itself, not the ones for the heatsink which the OP needs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Nope -- That kit is for the drive itself, not the ones for the heatsink which the OP needs.

Thanks very much, Scott.

Update: ASUS customer support accepted my above photo of the screws in question, and promised to get back to me within a day or two. Not holding my breath, but it would be a wonderful surprise!

coyote2 wrote:
Thanks very much, Scott.

Update: ASUS customer support accepted my above photo of the screws in question, and promised to get back to me within a day or two. Not holding my breath, but it would be a wonderful surprise!

Please keep us up to date with what happens. I'm thinking that the next time I take my M.2 heatsinks off (Z690-E Gaming) that I should measure them and check threads -- could probably get replacements from someplace like McMaster-Carr if I know the size and threading. Though they probably only sell them in packs of 100!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Please keep us up to date with what happens.

I absolutely will. Seems to me that a non-standard screw like that should be made available to customers (or at least it's specs).

ationfictons
Level 10
I don't understand these motherboard makers. Why do they have to make everything non-standard? I'm not even talking about things should be universally standardized across brands. I've recently been working with an X570 Crosshair VIII Hero, an X570-I Gaming and a B550-I Gaming. All Asus. Yet, every one of them uses a different mechanism with different screws for the M.2 covers. They're all microscopic, never-seen-before screws, though. So, that's been standardized. 🙂

coyote2
Level 7
ASUS customer service 'escalated' my request, and give me this reply:

"Repair center doesn't supply parts, or part numbers."

I wrote back that I didn't consider this to be satisfactory support from ASUS, and was prepared to express this on social media and to ASUS management. So I got the predictable attempt to mollify in reply:

"...the requested part is not available right now due to part shortage. We will request this as soon as we get update for the inventory stock."

Asus really should make replacement parts like this this easily available. I could see them selling a replacement heatsink and screws together, rather than the screws by themselves, but these are parts they intend for the customer to service (remove and replace) -- so there should be spares available to buy.

I suspect your best bet is trying to find another owner with a X570 Crosshair VII who is willing to remove one of their screws and measure it for you. If you can get the head shape, thread diameter, and thread pitch then it is likely you can find a replacement. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to order a bulk quantity (like 100), but these small screws usually are not very expensive.