Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest C7H BIOS

Shamino
492 REPLIES 492

KeithMyers wrote:
I am running the Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS version https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Just grab the ISO and rufus from https://rufus.ie/ and burn it to a 16GB USB stick. It will create what is called a Live USB installation. Then reboot the computer and point the BIOS at the UEFI bootloader on the USB stick and in a minute or so you will be running Ubuntu. You can investigate how it looks and works. It is running solely from the stick and doesn't install anything to your drives.

There is an icon on the Desktop for installing permanently to your storage when you want later. I would recommend just adding a new cheap small 128GB SSD drive to your machine for the target for the future Linux installation. That way you don't have to deal with dual booting or deal with grub installers later. You just reboot the machine when you want to change the operating system by choosing which OS to run from the BIOS selection.

You could just run the Blender benchmark from the stick to but suspect the slow USB stick access might hinder that. Don't know if it runs mostly in memory or not. I know it has to load the files from the Blender folders to do the rendering.

Appreciate you brother! That link to your exact version was exactly what I was looking for!

I currently boot from multiple USB's now, and thats exactly how I do it as well, Have multiple SSDs in my very computer for that reason!

Real quick, on a side note. Did you notice how Rufus took away the ability to Deploy an Image to USB Hard Drives? You used to be able to plug in an External USB SSD and deploy a windows install to it for instance. I am not sure what version exactly where it first was removed, I tend to only update my tools about once a year, so the Rufus I have been using was from 2018, specifically version 2.18, and I finally decided to grab an updated version about a month or 2 ago, and went to turn my SSD into a Windows Installer (I carry around with me my old Samsung 256GB 850 Pro and a little Sata to USB3 adapter, and use this for just scratch or Image storage on jobs where Speed is important, so I often turn this into an installer USB for whatever OS I tend to need for that Job), and looked everywhere, they totally removed the function! Unless I am just blind, because the GUI has changed, but it used to be an option under "Advanced Options", called "List USB Hard Drives" and now no matter where I look I just can't find it. So I had to log into my Google Drive to download my version, which was inconvenient (Because the USB I keep the tools on I couldn't find at the time).

Anyways, Just a side note that I just remembered, I wonder if any one else noticed or if I was the only one who ever used that option.

Am going to find some time tonight to boot off your exact Ubuntu Version and then run these benchmarks and see if my Score improves at all! Thank You Again!

KeithMyers
Level 7
I probably have just as old a version of Rufus as you. I haven't had a Windows system to use it for over a year. Never noticed the ability to deploy to USB Hard drives as I always used a stick.

KeithMyers wrote:
I probably have just as old a version of Rufus as you. I haven't had a Windows system to use it for over a year. Never noticed the ability to deploy to USB Hard drives as I always used a stick.

Good Afternoon Keith!

So I finally installed Ubuntu on an Extra SSD. I have since also gotten 3800Mhz to finally work on my system, so its not a direct comparison, although, at least on Windows this was only a minor boost to performance because of my relatively loose timings right now. But dude, check out my score now! I haven't compared it against yours yet, I was just blown away at the Performance Increase verse my old score!

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14272021

So it seems there is a pretty drastic difference between Windows and Linux!

I will run Blender in a little while to see how I compare there as well.

Real quick, I know you had found some kind of way to monitor temps in Ubuntu, how did you manage that??? The Normal lm-sensors isn't working, it won't sense anything on this chip. I have brief recollection of you talking about that, but I know you had figured out how to monitor sensors somehow, as of right now I am flying blind. Ubuntu has made some major changes since last I ran it!

Talk to you soon!

EDIT: I went through your other posts and figured out how to add asus-wmi-sensors, so I am good on that front now. Man its been a while since I have tested my bash skills!

I spent HOURS trying to get my damn Sound Card to work. It uses the C-Media CMI-8788 Driver, same as HD Oxygen, and for the life of me I can't get the damn card to be recognized. This build is supposed to do it by default according to everything I read, but it won't. It refuses to show up in audio devices, and I have done everything under the sun I could think of, and that I could find on Google, and I finally have to give up for the night, very frusterating!

Anyways, got that Blender Benchmark Result for you. Posting it first, then I am going to compare to yours to see if I caught up!
https://opendata.blender.org/benchmark/344692b8-5934-4112-89cc-47bc1b65d633

I hope the next BIOS will be able to boot recent versions of Linux. The current one, 2501, cannot due so due to the AMD RDRAND bug when using Ryzen 3000s. Does anyone have an estimate on when a fix will be released?

Thanks!

Does CH7 have an amd Cool and Quite mode that other manufactures seem to have for AMD? It seems to lower the temps and voltage.

Max1mus91 wrote:
Does CH7 have an amd Cool and Quite mode that other manufactures seem to have for AMD? It seems to lower the temps and voltage.

Advanced page > AMD CBS > ZEN Common Options > Global C-State Control

or

Advanced page > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Global C-State Control
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Max1mus91 wrote:

Yes. CPU configuration. PSS Support. What AMD calls Cool 'n Quiet now.

KeithMyers wrote:
Yes. CPU configuration. PSS Support. What AMD calls Cool 'n Quiet now.

I don't think this is Cool 'n Quiet.

I don't have it on 1xxx CPU, but do have Global C-State Control. I've also found AM1 mobo manuals showing PSS Support. Also found a site showing if enabled Linux can report incorrect CPU MHz.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I don't think this is Cool 'n Quiet.

I don't have it on 1xxx CPU, but do have Global C-State Control. I've also found AM1 mobo manuals showing PSS Support. Also found a site showing if enabled Linux can report incorrect CPU MHz.

When I searched for Cool 'n Quiet for my first 1700X, I found AMD sources explaining that feature was called PSS Support now. Can you post the URL you state that PSS Support incorrectly reports clock frequency under Linux. I have never had exact 100Mhz reported, only 99.8 but that is what everybody else reports unless you make major changes in BCLK. The reason is that AMD cpus don't have any internal measuring instruments to measure BLCK like Intel cpus do.

KeithMyers wrote:
When I searched for Cool 'n Quiet for my first 1700X, I found AMD sources explaining that feature was called PSS Support now. Can you post the URL you state that PSS Support incorrectly reports clock frequency under Linux. I have never had exact 100Mhz reported, only 99.8 but that is what everybody else reports unless you make major changes in BCLK. The reason is that AMD cpus don't have any internal measuring instruments to measure BLCK like Intel cpus do.

Linux link.

KeithMyers wrote:
Also find many references to what PSS Support means in OCN threads for X370 Prime Pro and other AMD threads.

I think due to the buried nature of Global C-State Control I think people are mistaking PSS Support as that. Dunno though, all I'm seeing from things I've looked at, that PSS is a ACPI spec and not an AMD thing.

PSS Support = Processor Supported States Support [Auto/Enabled/Disabled]

The ACPI specification defines the _PSS (Processor Supported States) ACPI processor object that allows system firmware to describe the processor performance states that are supported by the platform to operating system software.

Quote from doc below.

Da Music video