all new hardware, mobo, cpu, gpu, ssd, ram
Crosshair Hero VIII WIFI
AMD 3950x
SSD: MP600 NVME PCIE GEN4 X4
GPU: RADEON RX 5600 XT MECH OC BV
RAM:PN: F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
CPU COOLING: AIO, LIQMAX III ARGB 360
CASE: PC-011 DYNAMIC RAZER

Fails post: everything lights up, fan's run gpu fans run, lighting's on, Q-code streaming codes so fast you cant read them, AIO running... The Q-code LED's DRAM, CPU, GPU each light up and go out, then the fans slow WAY down for about 5 seconds then the whole process starts over again. The Q-code LED "BOOT" has never come on. The CPU led comes on red, then goes out. There is no video, usb, keyboard I/O or power to them.

I have never seen video activity of any kind, thus I have never seen the BIOS screen or accessed the bios.

I have a flash drive with a power indicater light...the light has never come on during the post failure routines, indicating USB ports have never been powered on.

I have read several reports with this mobo regarding this same issue. Most all report having to adjust bios settings to get past failing post's... IF you cant get to the bios, how are the settings being changed? Oddly nobody mentions how they acheived access to the bios.

Note: I purchased another NEW power supply and changed the PS and all cables... no joy

I removed all non essential mobo connections... no joy
I removed the GPU... no joy

To date I have not been able to access bios or install the OS.

Two months in lockdown.... ordering part after part after part... building my dream system...days of reasearching tons of specs, months to get everything delivered, days to unpack read-up on everything, learn a new case in's and out's.... assemble, more assemble....finally POWER ON!!!!!
NO JOY!!!!! Nada, nothing, zip, zilch, zero, nuttn.

30 years in the semicinductor undustry, you'd think I'd be used to this level of failure.... NOPE!!!! Not when it's all coming out of my bank account. I expected a little more satisfaction whe I pushed the power switch for the first time.
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
Make sure you have placed the Ram in slots 2 & 4 (A2 & B2) from the CPU.

edit:
The reason you are POST cycling and then reboots is failure of the motherboard to train the memory. This is most likely cuased from the above issue (you are using slots 1 & 3 which if you have come recently from Intel system is easy to do). If still fails place just one stick in A2 (slot 4 from cpu) and try to post, fails try the other stick and see if you can get post.

If you get stuck on a qcode than post that as it can help us help you.
If it continues to POST cycle than you might want to look at are you using custom backing plate (backwards) or maybe overtightened the AIO to the CPU.

Greetings, thank you. I have confirmed that ram is in A2 B2

Quick question, why the constant barrage of "I AM NOT A ROBOT" every 30 seconds?

MeanMachine
Level 13
[QUOTE=C
Fails post: everything lights up, fan's run gpu fans run, lighting's on, Q-code streaming codes so fast you cant read them, AIO running... The Q-code LED's DRAM, CPU, GPU each light up and go out, then the fans slow WAY down for about 5 seconds then the whole process starts over again. The Q-code LED "BOOT" has never come on. The CPU led comes on red, then goes out. There is no video, usb, keyboard I/O or power to them.

I have never seen video activity of any kind, thus I have never seen the BIOS screen or accessed the bios.

I have a flash drive with a power indicater light...the light has never come on during the post failure routines, indicating USB ports have never been powered on.

To date I have not been able to access bios or install the OS.

The following tells me you don't fully understand what happens when you power on your system.

1. Quote: Q-code streaming codes so fast you cant read them, End Quote.
Yes POST (Power on self test) is fast however you need concern yourself at where it stops and what the read out tells you (this you can find out from your manual)

2. Quote:The Q-code LED's DRAM, CPU, GPU each light up and go out.End Quote.
If the Qcode led goes out then there is a fault with the Motherboard. If POST is successful then it will hand over to the operating system if installed,resulting in a Qcode AC or AA.

3. Other leds will go out if devices are functional

During the POST cycle your RAM is interrogated and values are set to allow a transition into ACPI mode. A reboot can happen two or three times for a safe set of values to be set (not always the optimal best which should be set in Bios).
If you are unable to access Bios then try to update your Bios to version 2103 using your rear IO panel and a USB stick in the correct port.
Bios is normally accessed by spamming the delete key or one of your function keys.

Start with just one dimm module in the first slot to test then access Bios and set your primary timings and voltage. You can obtain your SPD values from the TOOLS section in Bios. Check that the system boots then add the other modules. Then check for stability. I favour Aida64.

I always benchtest prior to assy as sometimes there can be a short to the MB from the case. Check all peripheral and cable connections then please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Greetings and thank you for your input... Your assessment is correct, I have much to learn regarding the new technology. I have been overwhelmed with information, not knowing what takes priority. I am going through your recommendations today and will report back.

Q: is there an amount of time to let the system continue to cycle through post before manual power off ?

skellattarr
Level 10
I found that when I first put my system together which I have the crosshair viii hero non-wifi but still the same layout there is no hole in center of the board if your case has a standoff there you should remove it could short something out
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

Update, as luck would have it, I ordered an ssd with a heat sink and a GPU that would not fit into PCI slot one, due to interference with the MOBO cooling covers. So I moved the GPU to PCI slot 2. The GPU would not seat due to the heat sink on the SSD. So I moved the SSD to The other SSD slot and installed the GPU. That was the error that caused the system not to pass POST. The SSD in the #2 slot was throwing the bios into a fit for some reason. During testing of the MOBO I was removing everything one by one and attempting to pass POST. Nothing worked. With the GPU out of the system I put the SSD back in the #1 SSD slot and powered on, the system passed POST. So I modified the the GPU to clear the cooling covers on the MOBO and installed it into PCI slot one. Power on and the bios appeared after a few seconds. I wish I could explain why but I have no clue.

Thank you all for taking the time to help and offer suggestions and pointers.

tinman3148
Level 7
My board was a nightmare install. I was hooked to a HDMI and it wouldn't post. We finally put it on DP and it posted. NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE. Now I keep crashing and my current reading in HWM is going as high as 56amps85670