cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent No Display and No POST on ASUS X570-P

nocarolinhr478
Level 7
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as i'm running out of things to try. I recently purchased a new system, specs below, which would about 50% of the time not POST or give any display output (fans on/lights on etc). When it does boot it runs perfect and stable with good scores.

Most usual remedies, such as turning off fast startup, clean install and format of all drives, BIOS restart/clear, removing peripherals, plugging directly into the wall rather than the multi-socket seemed to make no difference. Hardware wise all usual tests such as MEMtest as well as swapping RAM to different slots or only running one seem to make no difference either. The system was RTM who swapped out the motherboard and restarted it multiple times and sent it back however the same fault has popped up again in the days after starting to use it again.

Any ideas?

I'm left with the idea it could be a power cycling issue (windows power plan?) as the only discernible pattern i could figure out was that the board was giving out USB power to mouse/keyboard even with ErP disabled/enabled. The only other thing i've come across on many forums is RAM/SOC voltage settings but messing with them is outside my comfort zone.

Any winning fix and ill send you a pizza

SPECS

Asus PRIME X570-P (BIOS 1405)

EVGA RTX2080 SUPER BLACK

2TB Sgate 2.5FCuda ST2000LX001

2 x 16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200

650W Corsair RM650X ATX PS

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X

Corsair H100x CPU Cooler

500GB Ssung 860 EVO 2.5 SSD SA

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO PLUS
12 REPLIES 12

raju2529
Level 7
No display means. First thing we should check RAM modules, Remove and reinsert RAM module.
in Bios, adjust Ram frequency set to auto.
Make sure RAM modules are double sided ,make sure RAm frequency must be compatible with motherboard specifications.
Check the monitor cable loose connections between MB and monitor.
Try with VGA port or HDMi port.
Check power cable's from powersupply to the motherboard,make sure it's not loose connection. Use recommend powersupply by motherboard manual
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
No display means. First thing we should check RAM modules, Remove and reinsert RAM module.
in Bios, adjust Ram frequency set to auto.
Make sure RAM modules are double sided ,make sure RAm frequency must be compatible with motherboard specifications.
Check the monitor cable loose connections between MB and monitor.
Try with VGA port or HDMi port.
Check power cable's from powersupply to the motherboard,make sure it's not loose connection. Use recommend powersupply by motherboard manual

Hi Raj,

Thanks for replying
RAM has been tried seperately and tested, it is double sided, no loose cables, HDMI port on board does not give any display as well. Powersupply is tested and approved by MB.

nocarolinhr478 ,
try with different cables from different brands , make sure monitor is on
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Are you sure that Power Supply is up to task for that system? Does it have the 8-pin + 4-pin CPU power connectors available that the MB needs?

bluestang wrote:
Are you sure that Power Supply is up to task for that system? Does it have the 8-pin + 4-pin CPU power connectors available that the MB needs?

I mean by my calculation even with OC the system should use 500hz max? and why would the fault be intermittent if the system didnt have enough power?

^ That didn't answer my question about whether you have both CPU power connections on the Mother Board filled or not. If it was just a 2700X or 3700X, I would say no biggie as it's just for extra power for OC'ing. But you have a 3900X in your system with a 2080 Super.

bluestang wrote:
^ That didn't answer my question about whether you have both CPU power connections on the Mother Board filled or not. If it was just a 2700X or 3700X, I would say no biggie as it's just for extra power for OC'ing. But you have a 3900X in your system with a 2080 Super.

Sorry, no it doesn't it only has the 8pin not the extra 4 pin, but its not essential and why would that make the error intermittant?
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx...

RedSector73
Level 12
nocarolinhr478 wrote:

Any ideas?

I'm left with the idea it could be a power cycling issue (windows power plan?) as the only discernible pattern i could figure out was that the board was giving out USB power to mouse/keyboard even with ErP disabled/enabled. The only other thing i've come across on many forums is RAM/SOC voltage settings but messing with them is outside my comfort zone.

Can you explain the intermittent times, like does it power on and fans turn for second than nothing, does no POST have more details to it, only cold boot, etc ?

Are you running latest bios ?

If your AIO has a backing plate, did you put it on the right way round or is it possible to overtighten the hold down screws (try 1/4 turn backoff and see if it fix the issue) ?

nocarolinhr478 wrote:
Sorry, no it doesn't it only has the 8pin not the extra 4 pin, but its not essential and why would that make the error intermittant?

The motherboard has pro cool connector - 8 + 4
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P and the PSU you mention has the ability to connect both.
Firstly, the motherboard manual actually recommends it for 3900x and does so because it will cause heat in places not measured by the motherboard. In my mind there is not much point in measuring VRM temp when you create choke point at power connectors is there ? (an example)

A lot of posts by people claiming this isn't needed own a 3600 isn't which is never going to draw enough amps but the 3900x and 3950x - assuming nothing wrong with cables or tracks on the board can get close thus +4 is worth connecting and oh did i mention that motherboard manual actually recommends it.

RedSector73 wrote:
Can you explain the intermittent times, like does it power on and fans turn for second than nothing, does no POST have more details to it, only cold boot, etc ?

Are you running latest bios ?

If your AIO has a backing plate, did you put it on the right way round or is it possible to overtighten the hold down screws (try 1/4 turn backoff and see if it fix the issue) ?

The motherboard has pro cool connector - 8 + 4
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P and the PSU you mention has the ability to connect both.
Firstly, the motherboard manual actually recommends it for 3900x and does so because it will cause heat in places not measured by the motherboard. In my mind there is not much point in measuring VRM temp when you create choke point at power connectors is there ? (an example)

A lot of posts by people claiming this isn't needed own a 3600 isn't which is never going to draw enough amps but the 3900x and 3950x - assuming nothing wrong with cables or tracks on the board can get close thus +4 is worth connecting and oh did i mention that motherboard manual actually recommends it.

Thanks for replying

Can you just attached any other 4 pin or do i need to switch out for another PSU? But i still dont see why this would be intermittant, surely it would boot or not boot and when it was RTM they put it on a rebooter for 50x without fault. Its only since returning and having full power cycling that the error has re-appeared.

Yes to latest bios 1405.

Intermittent wise, about 1 in 4 times, if it powers on normally, big fan woosh then settle, BIOS screen with USB mouse/keyboard light up. If it stalls, fans light and everything run normally but no usb power, no display output (hdmi or gpu).

I found a few similar threads that talk about RAM voltage and SOC as the fault.