cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel I211 Driver Updates?

ationfictons
Level 10
I just changed over to Windows 11 on this ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero. According to the manual, it uses an Intel I211-AT Ethernet chip (which is what I'm connected to). According to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant:

Intel® I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Driver Details
Provider
Intel
Version
Date
6/15/2020

That driver is 1-1/2 years old. Yet, the Intel Driver & Support Assistant says:

No supported driver or software updates are available for your system.

Surely, that can't be correct. Intel's driver site for that controller:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.h...

shows the latest driver to be version 27.0 dated 02/09/2022. But, there's nothing on Asus' site, nor does Windows find anything newer. Should I install the new driver from Intel or just let this thing sit?

The reason I'm wondering is that I'm getting the following errors in the Event Viewer:

Log Name: SystemSource: Server
Date: 2/15/2022 6:52:28 AM
Event ID: 2505
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: WIN11-DAVE-X570
Description:
The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8F468589-30E6-44FD-A5CF-25157AED6DBC} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start....

and they're preceded by various problems with lack of internet.
4 REPLIES 4

rexbinary
Level 8
I always run the drivers that MoKiChU graciously provides and haven't had any issues with them.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118280-DRIVERS-Intel-Ethernet-WiFi-Bluetooth

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (BIOS 4602) | Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FE | PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850
Drives: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB x2, WD_BLACK 10TB HD | Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Dark Tinted Glass

I have been using the Realtek 2.5Gbps port since I got the motherboard until now without issue. The Intel LAN disabled from the BIOS.

Question, is the INTEL 1Gbps port considered better?

knt
Level 7
I have no problems running the latest Intel ones on the same Network chipset but on a different board.

ationfictons
Level 10
I went into my BIOS and turned the Realtek 2.5Gbps adapter back on. Back in Windows 11, I checked the driver and found it to be about a year old and with a version number something like 1.blah.blah.blah. Windows Update found nothing newer. Right clicking on the adapter in Device Manager and updating found nothing newer. I saw Asus actually has a newer driver (and for Windows 11), so I went to the Realtek site:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit...

and found their "Win11 Auto Installation Program (NetAdapterCx)." I ran that, it installed various drivers, and I'm now at driver version 1125.4.1201.2021. It hasn't fixed the Event 2505 error I mentioned above. But, I haven't had a loss of network access yet, either. Functionally, all seems fine.

The weird thing is that if I look at the latest Intel driver package, there's no mention of Windows 11 drivers. Searching the internet on that gives me various canned Intel-robot responses about how sorry they are and that they're working on it. Hard to believe, Realtek seems to be a better company than Intel these days. Though, in either case, I don't understand why Windows, itself, doesn't notice new drivers.