cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

im about 10 more attempts away from RMAing this sh!t board.

vogner16
Level 7
I got this board a week after release day along with an 1800x and a gskill trident z 16gb 3200 kit.

paid a lot of good money for it.

it has never worked properly once in the 3 months ive had it now.

4 bios updates.

hours of tweaking to bios settings.

every bios update I do makes it run worse and it wont let me flash a bios back!

I started with the release bios and was able to get ram to 2400 MHz and cpu to 4.0

updated to 1002 and it was the same except on occasion required I reset the cmos. and totally redo the bios settings because it would randomly fail.

updated to the 1107 and temps would spike into the 80c with my OC so I set it to 3.9 (still cant get anything more out of ram)

updated to 1202 and my computer now randomly has voltage spikes from 1.17 to 1.5 at stock settings.

the fans are at 100% and the cpu is holding a steady 83C at idle and 3.6 ghz on a 240mm rad because of these spikes.

I tried to go back to 1002 and guess what! "not an official bios"

FIX YOUR GARBAGE BIOSES ASUS AND DO IT NOW!!

I GOT A MSI BOARD FOR MY MINI ATX BUILD AND IT HAD 3200 RAM OUT OF THE BOX WITH A 4.0 OC ON A FRIKIN CHEAP B350 BOARD

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ASUS BOARD AGAIN AND IF I CANT GET A FIX WITHIN THE WEEK THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE REPLACED WITH SOMTHING THAT WORKS.
8 REPLIES 8

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Not defending Asus AT ALL, lol. I'm pretty upset as well.

But if you want to flash back you can, you just have to do the following:

Rename 1002 bios on a FAT32 flash drive plugged into the flashback port to "C6H.CAP".

Power down, press and hold the BIOS clear button on the back for a second or two.

Press the BIOS Flash button on the back until it flashes. If it flashes a couple of times and stops the flash drive isn't right. Otherwise it will flash for 2 to 3 minutes.

You'll have 1002 back to use until you RMA it. Definitely don't go to an Asus service center though to do it -- the lines are very long...

Much of the blame goes to AMD for not producing solid microcode or getting their act in order before releasing the processor. They forced the board makers hand too soon with two little development by either AMD or the board partners. Not a recipe for customer satisfaction.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

found an old junker that worked lol

vogner16
Level 7
the only flash drive I own is a sandisk extreme 3.0 64gb and even if I only format a 2 gb portion of it and make it FAT32 it wont work. This is so frocking annoying. I don't have time for these games.

vogner16
Level 7
after flashing back to 1002 with this old usb the computer is booted up and working for the first time in 2 hours...

entropic-remnan
Level 9
Glad to hear it! We all share your frustration to one degree or another. I think it's going to be a great platform... I just can't say when. My 1700 non-X is running at 3850 mhz now with my 3200 mhz ram running at full speed with a 100 mhz base clock. That's on 9945 beta. Prior I had to run at 2666 mhz to be reliable and pass stress tests so improvements are coming but with some of these BIOS it's like that old "one step forward, two steps back" where they help SOME people but others end up with new problems.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

vogner16
Level 7
I cant believe simply how long it has taken them to release a bios that can simply do stock speeds on the cpu and ram. that's all I want right now. just to reach 3200 like I paid for.

my crosshair V did not have these issues. I was stable at 4.5 on my 8150 then 4.9 with my 8350. ram was OC way over its xmp listing. it just floors me how crappy this board is compared to my old one

entropic-remnan
Level 9
DDR4 isn't DDR3 and Intel's had a long time to perfect their game -- and I'm not defending Asus or AMD, just saying what's true. I think they underestimated the pitfalls when the platform was released in the wild and people started throwing every DDR4 stick on the planet at it. This is AMD's first go round with DDR4 on their CPU's.

It's apparent Intel knew what they were doing when they created their Extreme Memory Profile system and got the RAM manufacturers to adopt it. I know it's not as simple as I first thought it was, but I am surprised that the board can't at least simply READ the XMP data and fill in the blanks in the controller. The fact that I had to use Thaiphoon to get the XMP numbers and plug them in is really troubling this late in the game. With 9945 that's all it took for me to hit 3200 -- fill in the bad numbers with good ones right out of the XMP on the DIMM! And I'm talking about more than the 16-18-18-36 type stuff. It's numbers we couldn't even see before 9943/45 much less change.

I just don't see how they could not be doing that in the BIOS. Mystery.

andyliu
Level 9
well, for me, I had issue with flare-x 3200 ram not able to hit 3200.
But guess how I fixed it, replace the CPU and it boot to 3200 with ease.
I was trouble shooting my other issue so I got 2nd set of CPU and motherboard.
CPU A hit 3200 easily, while CPU B will just cap @ 2933, wont boot/boot @ 2400.
swap the CPU between 2 board, same result.
CPU A will hit 3200 without any problem on either board, while CPU B just can't do it.

That's my experience for memory overclocking.
It's new platform, so ... weird thing tend to happen.
Hopefully the new AGESA update will fix it for everyone.