cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a pre RMA checklist for a no power C6H

DerpyBlake
Level 7
I'm not going to get into how frustrating this product's launch has been for me and my customer, or how disappointed I am as both a loyal, enthusiast, technician and a long time custom system builder that has used ASUS mainboards almost exclusively in build or repair I've ever done. I made a rant at the end of this post if you're interested in that. I'm glad you guys are having a good time with product, however it's basically been a nightmare for me, and just when I thought everything was finally over, I'm in a no power on scenario.

The issue is, I started a service ticket, but the tech that got assigned to me clearly didn't read my e-mail and sent me "a sorry your system won't POST" e-mail and gave me a generic checklist, with virtually no items applicable to a no power scenario.

I don't expect it to be a long checklist, just need to know of anything specific to this board that I might want to try before RMA time.

Scenario:
No power after a week or so of working normally

Symptoms:

No power with case switch or START button.
No q CODE or RGB led's
Only "CPU ready light", START button and CMOS reset button are lit

Already Tried:
Swapping PSU and power cord with known working one
Clearing CMOS
Discharging static electricity
Re-seating/plugging everything but CPU

Specs:

C6H 1.3
BIOS 0902
1800x
32 GB Gskill flare X 2400 (16x2)
RX 480 reference
Samsung 960 EVO
Seasonic m12 EVO PSU
No overclocking, temps were always very low, UPS was used, ect, ect

I've never really experienced such a sudden and complete board failure in one of my builds, I thought this sort of
thing only happened to Microstar customers.

Thanks in advance to all the people helping, I think that's all you need to know to answer my question.

NOW I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN (KIND OF)

I'm at a loss on this one big time. I had already lost the future business of this particular customer, by the time I trying to explain the 4th failed pre-order. Now, I'm just trying not to become liable for refunding the entire project or having to replace the board out of pocket. I've taken quite a bit of damage to my reputation with what has to be the worst board launch in ASUS history and are not looking forward to the disassembly and reassembly process involved in replacing the board on this particular build.

Again, up until now, all my issues have been related to the initial availability of the product and not the product itself. I still believe ASUS makes a good product, because this is the first time a new board has ever failed in 10 years. If it would have arrived DOA in early March after my 1st or even second pre order I placed in February, my reaction would have been "it's about time I got one that doesn't work". However the horrid launch, combined with act of it dying after already built the thing, seems out of character for this company and possibly related to launching a product too soon, or just some weird stuff companies have to do when the demand greatly exceeds the availability ( I wish I was kidding about my fear that I paid for a new board and received a review sample or a refurb. There were other things that made the think this before the board failed, like NIB cosmetic issues and abnormal 1st power on BIOS settings) .

Whatever happened, I'm now depending on their product support and you guys in the online community to maintain my positive perception of the brand. I really don't want my company to switch to ugly looking and lesser performing Gigabyte boards just because I know I won't have to worry paying for the same board 5 times, or even after I do, it suddenly failing AFTER a hard tube build that I logged 20+ hours on. I hope I can get a fast resolution to this, so I can stay a member of the ASUS community and become active on here. I would love to find literally anyone that thinks my first gen am2 crosshair is actually cool and not in dire need of a replacement.
10 REPLIES 10

entropic-remnan
Level 9
I've been ranting about how ASUS marketing page for this board is basically mostly lies. Unless you are both very technical and lucky, you're not going to get this board to work as advertised. However, I get a lot of pushback on that by the many fan-boi types who just can't believe I would say ASUS lied... but they have.

Yes, I know it probably wasn't their original intent -- however, once it became clear the product can't work as advertised for MOST, then disclaimers should be on that page. I do pity those who bought this board thinking that it is out-of-the-box what ASUS said it is.

I wouldn't say I've had a good time with it, but I've had enough success to keep the board in a system I don't want to have to go through a swap on again. Right now, the biggest complaint I have is the RGB doesn't work. I'm running a beta BIOS to get my ram to speed since no production BIOS can set it up properly.

I think the hardware design is outstanding in many ways. The VRM even at high overclocks and high core voltage runs quite cool. Well done.

Pretty disgusted though by the ongoing marketing lies, and I think anyone who want's their money back on this board is totally justified -- and I say that as someone who is keeping mine.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

andyliu
Level 9
sorry to hear what happened.
I had something similar in my previous build, here is some extra steps (in addition to resit memory n graphic card) I took to fix it.

1. Have you try to loose the CPU cooling pressure?
might be too much pressure or not enough pressure.
if you using AIO like I do, just hand tie the screw should be more than enough.

2. try to leave the back panel unattached to check if the wire is shorting.
I purchased a new case and migrate my previous build over.
I had to redo my cable management after my initial assembly
not that i didn't manage my cable, but somehow something is shorting when the back panel is attached.
While I still had no clue what was shorting, redo my cable management work out for me.

Good luck

I can't really adjust the waterblock pressure too much since It has hard tubing. Besides, if only the power supply is switched on, the board should at least have q code and diagnostic lights with or without a processor.

As far as something shorting, I already tried a new psu. The only storage drive is on the board itself, so, with the rad fans and pump disconnected, there aren't really any other wires that could be shorting.

Hello,
i see on your other post , with photo, that you have an ekwb evo on your cpu, there were a lot of people with problem with it, and i'm one of them. The culprit was the tightening of the block and the poor insulation of the rubber casket under the backplate. Even with the hardtubbing you can try to loosen the tightening of the block and if you can access the backplate , also try to remove the inner part of the rubber casket, it can be better if you can slide the white piece of plastic of the original backplate under the rubber casket.

You may want to try flashing the board with a non-bricking bios, mainly either 1201 or 9945/9943. If that does not help, then RMA.

^^ I agree. Use the BIOS Flashback to flash either to the current official or one of the latest beta versions. You don't even need to be able to turn on the PC to do this as long as the mainboard is receiving power. Be sure to clear the CMOS first and again after flashing then load defaults as a first step if you are then able to boot again.

its probably the backplate of the cpu waterblock, i had the same issue last moth with an ek supremacy evo. bashed my head against the wall trying anything to make the board power upwith no avail, and at last i finally removed the waterblock and back plate and finally the board turned on.

Can't even flash BIOS, nothing happens when I press the bios button. Pretty sure it's just RMA time

DerpyBlake wrote:
Can't even flash BIOS, nothing happens when I press the bios button. Pretty sure it's just RMA time

I do not intend to teach you or anything, as you probably are one of the most experienced and knowledgeable of this forum; however, if I were you whenever I received the new board, first thing I would have done would be to flash it with a reliable bios version before doing anything.

Good luck