cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII/Ryzen 2700X very slow boot time

Ken429
Level 7
I bought the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII MB/2700X because of all the issues I had with the ASRock X370 Taichi/1700X system which I had to have a few days after it's release! I hoped that the second generation of the Ryzen stuff, especially with the AOG premium MB, would have put most of the problems in the past. I suppose it has except for the following:

The 2700X system takes ~45 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 23.5 seconds".

The 1700X system takes ~27 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 17.6 seconds".

By comparison, I have several ASRock Extreme6/4790K systems that boot to the W10 splash screen in ~15 seconds. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 10 seconds".

All of the systems have the latest BIOS's and are running the latest version of W10 Pro.

The 2700X is set to a 42 multiplier with pretty much everything else on Auto. It has 2X8GB of the G.Skill FlareX memory ( F4-3200C14D-16GFX) installed using the automatic MB "XMP" settings. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.


The 1700X system is set to a 38 multiplier with a Vcore of 1.36V. Everything else is on Auto. It has 2X8GB of EVGA 3000-15 memory installed that the MB sets to 2933-16. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong with the 2700X system that is takes ~45 seconds (most of that time is spent by the BIOS doing whatever) to boot. Help would be appreciated.
267 Views
41 REPLIES 41

Conenubi701
Level 7
Yeah you're definitely not alone, I also have rather slow boot up times. It's the mobo going through the codes and once the circle loads up indicating that it's booting up the OS it immediately goes to W10.

I also use the Flare X kit.

chevell65
Level 12
Having CSM disabled is supposed to help boot times but you need to do that before installing the Op system.

chevell65 wrote:
Having CSM disabled is supposed to help boot times but you need to do that before installing the Op system.


Hey Chevell65. Just letting you know, you do not have to disable CSM before Installing the OS, you can do that at any time you want, just as long as you install the OS under UEFI and not Legacy. But if you format your Install USB using NTFS and UEFI, and you forget to disable CSM before installing windows, thats totally fine, you can totally change it whenever you remember, and you will be fine, and you WILL boot faster because the BIOS doesn't have to load Legacy devices.

The only way this would ever become a problem is if you have installation Media (Whether its a USB Stick or DVD) that is capable of Installing both Legacy and UEFI, and you accidentally boot the installation Media as Legacy (Which is only possible with CSM turned on). If you boot to the Windows 10 or 7 CD or USB as Legacy, then it will install as MBR Legacy, and then thats what your Stuck with until you reinstall, so in that case disabling CSM afterwards would make you not be able to boot. But as long as your Mindful of this and you make sure your Media Boots UEFI when installing, then you will be fine to disable CSM later. Just figured I would let you give you that info for the future. Have a great Week!

MattTheTech
Level 7
Ken429 wrote:
I bought the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII MB/2700X because of all the issues I had with the ASRock X370 Taichi/1700X system which I had to have a few days after it's release! I hoped that the second generation of the Ryzen stuff, especially with the AOG premium MB, would have put most of the problems in the past. I suppose it has except for the following:

The 2700X system takes ~45 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 23.5 seconds".

The 1700X system takes ~27 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 17.6 seconds".

By comparison, I have several ASRock Extreme6/4790K systems that boot to the W10 splash screen in ~15 seconds. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 10 seconds".

All of the systems have the latest BIOS's and are running the latest version of W10 Pro.

The 2700X is set to a 42 multiplier with pretty much everything else on Auto. It has 2X8GB of the G.Skill FlareX memory ( F4-3200C14D-16GFX) installed using the automatic MB "XMP" settings. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.


The 1700X system is set to a 38 multiplier with a Vcore of 1.36V. Everything else is on Auto. It has 2X8GB of EVGA 3000-15 memory installed that the MB sets to 2933-16. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong with the 2700X system that is takes ~45 seconds (most of that time is spent by the BIOS doing whatever) to boot. Help would be appreciated.


You definitly are not alone my friend. Like Conenubi701 said, it takes ASUS a bit to work out the BIOS issues on their new AMD Boards. On my 1600x and the Crosshair 6 Hero, At first it used to take 52 Seconds at BEST to get from Cold Boot to Login Screen, and that was WITH CSM Disabled, UEFI Boot. Now that same system on one of the newest BIOS boots in 12 Seconds.

Now with my new 2700x, My System takes about 45 seconds average to boot from Cold Boot to Login Screen, and its the same thing, CSM Disabled, no wait on Post. If last year is any indication, it will probably be until about October / November, until we get a BIOS that cuts that down to the Normal 15 Seconds. Whats funny is I am running a brand new Installation on a 970 Pro NVMe, and these are my boot times, but my HTPC system, which uses a 2400G and a bottom of the barrel ASUS B350 MA Mobo (Literally ASUS Cheapest B350 Board) and a 850 Evo SATA SSD boots in literally 12 Seconds from Cold Boot. Its kind of sad, but its understandable when you think about it.

That B350 Board has NO add on Bells or Whistles, just a few Sata Ports, 2 Ram Slots 1 PCIE Slot, and no features to speak of, so the BIOS is simple and clean, and it just boots fast because of it. Our C7H hero has Bells and Whistles up the A**, so Its no wonder it takes some time for them to streamline the process (Just wish AMD Gave them enough time to do that before it was released to the public, but thats just the nature of being an early adopter I guess)

P.S. Also wanted to add, that its not just ASUS dealing with the crazy boot times. The Board I bought at Launch was an MSI x470 Gaming M7 AC, I always buy ASUS, but had so many issues at launch with my C6H that I decided to take a chance on MSI this time, and while it actually was a great board overall, It sucks for PBO overclocking, because it has no Offset Voltage, so to hit good PBO Clocks, you were looking at 1.54v PLUS, which obviously was ridicolous. And if you set the VCore Manually, PBO wouldn't work Correctly, so because of this I ended up buying the C7H, and now I am getting 4.25Ghz All Core with PBO, and 4.475Ghz on up to 2 cores at at time for Lightly Threaded workloads, which is AMAZING.

Anyways, to get to the point, that board no matter which BIOS I used (Which there was only 2 to choose from by the way, they suck at Giving you updated BIOS, Launch Day, One in June, and thats it) Average Boot time was 68 Seconds, no lie, so at least this is an improvement. Not sure how Gigabytes flagship is doing this year, but last year I remember a bunch of people complaining at launch about their Gaming 7 Boot Times, so it might have more to do with AGESA then anything, but who knows. It will be fixed eventually. I'll shut up now, just know we feel your pain...

sfenson
Level 7
there's also fast boot/fast startup in bios and windows, i think that makes the most difference in startup times.
not that i would recommend it, it has it's issues (restart is not really a restart, WOL doesn't work etc).

CH7 + 2700X + 16GB FlareX kitt, first time i boot i did take +- 8 seconds to enter W10 Enterprise 10586.

No updates, and full of mods to turn off updates, telemtry, etc,etc...

Now, take a little more due installs and programs, but i consider this normal...

Well, I read back a few pages and didn't see anyone suggest to clear the CMOS. I know for me in the past, not necessarily with this mobo, but I have been able to resolve some boot issues by doing this. Take it for what it's worth, JMHO.

I have measured my boot time from pressing the power button to when the windows logon screen appears and for my system this takes about 42 seconds of which about 35 seconds is all bios post time. If power is shutdown at the power supply than it takes a few seconds longer.

Ken429
Level 7
All I see on the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII site is Bios version 0804. Where are you looking?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Ken429 wrote:
All I see on the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII site is Bios version 0804. Where are you looking?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/


https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jkoxu4r003qu7/Release - link from my thread
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103702-Crosshair-VII-Hero-UEFI-Build-Update-Thread

Why don't you look more carefully ?