cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new Ryzen build - unstable with stock settings

arronjgreen
Level 7
Hey guys - Picked up a new 2700 (not X) chip last weekend and installed it into my Crosshair VI Hero. I overclocked it to a reasonable 3700mhz and underclocked my ram to 2800 (it is 3400 ram). Everything was stable, and would pass stress testing for hours, but when I would try to load an app like Kodi or a game it would load for a second, crash, and go back to windows (so not a full reboot, just the app wouldn't run).

Going to stick with Kodi for this example because it is probably one of the least intensive things I've tried running. As soon as I click a video (one on my own machine), the Kodi app crashes and when I look into the debug file I receive an exception error 0xc0000005 which appears to be related to virtual memory or Ram.

So, I started from scratch - restored all defaults - and now my 2700 is clocked at its normal 3.2 and my ram is clocked at 2400. I still can't get Kodi to load a video.

My videocard is brand new- 6 gig 1060 MSI Gaming X model "Twin Frozer VI".

Stress tested again - prime for 3 hrs, memcheck no errors, passes all benchmarks I've tried. Seems totally stable except certain programs crash.

Brand new win 10 install.

Does anyone have any clue what is up with my system? Any help is appreciated - I can't figure this darn thing out.
8 REPLIES 8

brkkab123
Level 7
Apparently nVidia's last previos driver had a issue on all GTX 1060's and they released a new driver 397.31. Get it here and see if your issue is fixed.
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

brkkab123 wrote:
Apparently nVidia's last previos driver had a issue on all GTX 1060's and they released a new driver 397.31. Get it here and see if your issue is fixed.

It looks like that is the version I have installed unfortunately - I'll try to reinstall it - it seems like it is the video card - but it is brand new from the store so I just assume it was a misconfiguration in the bios - but now that I am running everything well below capability, something has to give.

Will report back if updating the driver again helps.

arronjgreen wrote:
It looks like that is the version I have installed unfortunately - I'll try to reinstall it - it seems like it is the video card - but it is brand new from the store so I just assume it was a misconfiguration in the bios - but now that I am running everything well below capability, something has to give.

Will report back if updating the driver again helps.

Ooh-- It's 397.55! Hope this works and my overclock was indeed stable. Thanks man - HUGE help if it works!!

brkkab123 wrote:

Dude- I have been screwing with my settings for 3 or 4 days - this completely seems to have fixed the issue! Thank you so much!!! Now I can overclock this beast and get some well deserved horsepower from it.

arronjgreen
Level 7
And it started crashing again (no overclock yet) 😞 Something to clearly do with the video card, I don't think that hot fix really completely fixed it - if anyone has a way to fix the latest update of the Nvidia sw for 1060's Let me know. It appears the version they rolled me back to is from December 2017. I don't care when it is from, just want it stable enough to fix the booting me out of programs issue.

Just an update for anyone having similar issues. The hotfix worked initially but stopped after a hour or so. I rolled my driver back 2 or 3 months and no issues w the driver so far.

Had another question if there is a ram expert out there. Picked up 16 gigs of Patriot viper 4 3400mhz ram - the price was right what can I say.

I can not identify the die of the ram. Just know they are single sided, chips from Samsung, and have decent low level timings (go to crap at high speed). I am assuming they are die d. Can anyone confirm?

Also, how well does die D clock with these bad boys?
Thx

You can check the spec of each DIMM with Thaiphoon (manufacturer, ranks and the like), should cover all your chip related questions.

Flexerl wrote:
You can check the spec of each DIMM with Thaiphoon (manufacturer, ranks and the like), should cover all your chip related questions.

I have checked unknown. Where the die type should be there is a ? Mark and it says unknown.