cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(help me) 16x GPU with NvME on CH7

EhRabzz
Level 7
I seem to have issues getting my 1080Ti to run at x16 , I have an NVME drive, so I'm assuming that's the "problem" , but even with 16x + 4x thats enough lanes on my 3800x to take care of that, leaving me to believe it's my settings, can someone help me please! 😄 I've tried putting my drive in both top and bottom lanes , and can't seem to figure it out
13 REPLIES 13

Lothos wrote:
What this guy said is correct and I have the C7H with a 2080 and a 2TB NVME.

It does state in the manual that if you place the M.2 in the slot closes to the CPU that it shares its lanes with the top PCIex slot. So if you put an M.2 in that slot it will then downgrade the speed of the graphics card in the top most slot from x16 to x8.

The only way to get full speed is to place the M.2 into the furthest most slot from the CPU and then you will get your x4 speed for the M.2 and your x16 for the graphics card.

It is in the manual, I highly recommend you follow that as there is absolutely no other way to get it to work.

What is indicated in the manual ("Support") for M.2_2 slot probably means the nVme will simply work but no speed is guaranteed.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Lothos wrote:
What this guy said is correct and I have the C7H with a 2080 and a 2TB NVME.

It does state in the manual that if you place the M.2 in the slot closes to the CPU that it shares its lanes with the top PCIex slot. So if you put an M.2 in that slot it will then downgrade the speed of the graphics card in the top most slot from x16 to x8.

The only way to get full speed is to place the M.2 into the furthest most slot from the CPU and then you will get your x4 speed for the M.2 and your x16 for the graphics card.

It is in the manual, I highly recommend you follow that as there is absolutely no other way to get it to work.

It's in bottom slot though!

Baio73
Level 8
RedSector73 wrote:
Sorry none of what you suggest is supported in the manual. The Top NVME slot is direct connection to CPU and is normally the best option to use. It does not effect the speed of a single x16 PCIE device. I would and do use use the top NVME slot (nearest the CPU) on CH boards in preference to the second NVME slot.

[…]

The images you posted from the manual show Asus called M.2_1 the bottom slot and M.2_2 the upper one (the nearest to the CPU).
According to the manual, the bottom slot is the only that can allow for sure 16x to VGA and 4x (if needed) to nVme drives, as they wrote for M.2_2 "Support" and not "4x". Don't know exactly what it means, but I'm quite sure… maybe some one directly from Asus can confirm.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Frostie36
Level 7
Are you actually experiencing performance issues with your gpu running at 8x because I'm not & my 1080ti is running at 8x as well due to the pcie cards I'm using. I did a test in a couple of games comparing 16x vs 8x & I have at most a 1fps difference in one of the games tested which is within margin of error test to test.

Steve over at gamers nexus did a video about this a while back & the bottom line is, 8x is nothing to worry about in terms of how the gpu will perform, unless your worried about losing literally a frame or two in a few select titles & as stated above, that's within margin of error