cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to clear CMOS to start the computer

Sateidan
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I just finished building my PC and am having a random problem with it. There are times (but not all the time) that I have to press the CLEAR CMOS button in order to start the PC. Indeed, otherwise nothing happens when I press the start button. This is annoying because I spent a lot of money to do it and I'm afraid there is a problem with one of the components that is creating this behavior. What I don't understand is that it happens in all kinds of conditions without there being a clear pattern of reasons. It can happen after long hours of gaming, I turn it off and come back the next day to turn it on and nothing happens. It can also happen after a quick turn on for a web search. This can also happen if I turn it on and turn it off immediately behind during a test phase for example to determine the elements of this message.
My configuration is ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WIFI) with AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
I tried to update the BIOS (3 différents and same problem), change to a watercooling because I was thinking about a too hight CPU temp but nothing changed for this problem.
Thanks for your potential help !
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

There should be a code on the Q-CODE LED when the system hangs on POST.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

There should be a code on the Q-CODE LED when the system hangs on POST.

Hi and thank you for your answer.

There is no code on the digital screen of the MOBO, it's off and black. The POST does not start. The button power on doesn't respond. I was thinking of a problem in this button but there is also a button START in this MOBO. Nothing happens when I click on it too. I have to clear the CMOS or cut power for 15 seconds for restarting the computer.