cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card retention clip

primeshooter
Level 10
Just broke off the little retention clip on the mobo at the graphics card trying to clean behind the shrowd. Thanks asus! It seems to run fine and I assume this won't cause an issue. Tightened up screw and board doesn't sag at all etc. I take it this cannot be repaired though?

Seems it just clicks back in. Not broken. I take it back.
2 REPLIES 2

Djix_68030
Level 7

I just received a ROG STRIX B550-F Wifi (no thank's to Amazon because I bought a Wifi II and I received just the box of wifi II but a wifi "one" as MOBO) the retention clip of the graphic card is not here, if you have found a solution please share it !!

Murph_9000
Level 14

If that was "sold by Amazon" as a new product, rather than a third party Amazon Marketplace vendor or a used/refurbished product, you may have fallen victim to someone scamming Amazon returns.  In that situation, Amazon will normally replace it if you open a support ticket with them within their returns period.  Some people engage in returns fraud with Amazon, to get themselves a free upgrade (risking criminal prosecution, if they are caught).  If Amazon don't spot that the contents of the box have been swapped, the next "lucky" customer gets someone's old product.  I've had things like a cheap used no-PWM fan in a Noctua box from Amazon, it's annoying, but they have always replaced it without a fight.

If it's an Amazon Marketplace vendor, some of those vendors are more honest than others (some are completely legit, well known companies just selling through Amazon), and some are no better than a random eBay seller.  Amazon just act as a transaction broker, like eBay, for Marketplace transactions.  Unfortunately, sometimes you get the same returns fraud problem with otherwise legitimate companies selling through Amazon.

As for the clip itself, it's not really essential as long as you secure the card properly on the slot bracket and maybe use some sort of anti-sag solution (the clip doesn't really help sag, but anti-sag will help ensure the card stays in place).  Some server and workstation boards don't have any slot clips.