cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fTPM vs TPM 2.0 questions

Thick8
Level 7
I have a C7H MB. The BIOS has fTPM listed but I don't see TPM 2.0 listed anywhere. Does that mean my machine is not Win11 capable?
I have a 2Gb platter drive that I image my 2Gb NVMe to from time to time. Would I still be able to do this with TPM enabled?
I do major upgrades every couple of years. Can I perform major upgrades without having to re-install all my "stuff"? I've done 3 major upgrades using the same drive.
I want to update to Win 11 because this new 6900XT is having constant driver crashes in MSFS2020 (a common reported issue). This will be my last-ditch effort before returning it for a 3080ti.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
John
4 REPLIES 4

AfterShock
Level 9
fTMP means the cpu handles the TPM which is the case for all ryzen cpus and AFAIK none of the crosshair boards have a discrete tpm module but ftpm is 2.0 and works for windows 11

Thick8
Level 7
Thanks for that. Now I just need to find the answer to the disk imaging question. It doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

Thick8 wrote:
Thanks for that. Now I just need to find the answer to the disk imaging question. It doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

fTPM won't change anything as far as imaging your drive and you can do an in place upgrade to windows 11 but everyone seems to recommend a clean install, I upgraded because I also do not want to waste an entire day re installing everything, haven't had any issues by doing the upgrade.

I do believe that win11 requires secure boot to be enabled though so I would check into that.

BuddyW
Level 7
Since you have a CH7 you might also have a first gen CPU...maybe an 1800X. Even though they do have an fTPM that is TPM 2.0 compliant, first gen Ryzen are NOT compatible with Win11.