cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flare X 3200MHZ 16GB 2x8: F4-3200C14D-16GFX // Performance & Guide

aeonconcepts
Level 7

Ryzen Memory and the hate from non-certified B-Die variants is easy to find. Information pertaining to Flare X memory is lost to the vast amount of issues that consumers are having with older modules and or Hynix chips. There is actually a good write up of these chips on an i7 chip, WTF! This is meant as a repository for Flare X 3200Mhz memory only, and without raising the CPU FSB (BCLK) I will update this with information on the 8x4 kits once they are available. GSkill will have the 3466 kits available soon, but with the current performance of the 3200Mhz... It might be a waste of time and money (If you just want to achieve the 3600Mhz mark) ... but GSkill can send me a kit if they want!

This thread will only focus on the intended 100Mhz FSB. This is the most important factor: 3200-3600Mhz are all using the rated timings of: 14-14-14-34-48 and 1T. Also keep in mind that this system is running on an Ekwb extreme loop, Supremacy Evo block and several reservoirs: so your results may vary if heat is an issue for you. I also do not inflate numbers for any reason. The Aida numbers listed here are under a normal workload, normal environment, and with normal programs running in the background; even the complete Adobe CS 2017 suite of BS that runs in the background. Obviously the numbers could be improved, but you wouldn't want to do an excessive BCLK overclock while sacrificing stability and being forced to increase latency. (Agesa 1.0.0.6) Bios Release candidates (Non-Beta) should slightly improve these numbers in the next few weeks.

Testing is done with:

Ryzen 1800X @ 40.75 Multiplier (4075Mhz The best overclock with overall stability in mind)
CPU FSB @ 100Mhz
Flare X 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz:
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Flare-288-Pin-Memory-F4-3200C14D-16GFX/dp/B06XWKNMQQ
Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

Before we get into 3200Mhz and beyond; the numbers for 2400Mhz:

Basic rundown:
2400Mhz: 36263 MB/s @ 90.8 ns (Latency)
3200Mhz: 48705 MB/s @ 73.3 ns (Latency)
3466Mhz: 51551 MB/s @ 69.2 ns (Latency)
3600Mhz: 38422 MB/s @ 67.3 ns (Latency) // Obviously issues to be resolved & excessive heat. Only improvement is in Write speeds.

-3733Mhz fails to boot with the rated timings and settings described below.

@3600Mhz // You may also get a BSOD: System_Service_Exception due to: for WIN/AMD driver problems and/or excessive heat. I can only suggest to run 3466 for the stability, and be happy you are at the 3200 and beyond spectrum.

Choose your speed and using the following voltages: 1.35V (3200Mhz) 1.38V (3466Mhz) 1.40V (3600Mhz) The following screenshots are for use with a 3466Mhz setting. Also note: Bios voltages show 1.395 as the shots were grabbed when going from 3600Mhz to a 3466 w/o a reboot // you get the point, etc:

Step 1: Extreme Tweaker (Mild Overclock and Ram Voltage)

Step 2: DRAM Timing (force the rated timings and select 1T-CR)

Step 3: Digi+ Power Control (vBoot located at the bottom)

Step 4: ProcODT & Fail_CNT (This is the most important aspect aside from forcing 1T-CR and the low rated timings)

Step 5: Ensure that the 2nd set of Power Down options are disabled // (optional)

Notes: Cold boot will do a single reset but that is why we force a (4) Fail_CNT which is plenty for a good power on.

Now the current Bios: 1401 for this memory has made more improvements:

3200Mhz @ 1.35 Voltage & 1.35 vBoot:

3466Mhz @ 1.38 Voltage & 1.38 vBoot:

3600Mhz @ 1.40 Voltage & 1.40 vBoot:

It seems that the 3466Mhz settings may offer the best overall performance.

Memtest x64 was run for 90 minutes on all 3 tests with 0 errors. One thing to note: Bios 9943 & 9945 introduced a new bug (at least for me) Win10 will now only show 1200mhz (rated 2400Mhz) in task manager for anything above 3200Mhz settings. CPU-Z will be blank with only timing display for anything above 3205Mhz (1599.7 and lower will display) and Memtest will also only show 1200mhz. Aida 64, RTC and Bios displays proper frequency every time. Hopefully this will be fully resolved soon. You will NOT want to use Bios: 9945 with this memory kit.

Update: Windows 10 updates have fixed Memory speed in Task manager June 13, 2017

Update: CPUZ fixed in latest version, ROG skin update as well.

MemTest64 (tested at a minimum 0f 90 minutes on all speeds) regardless of speed shows 0 errors:

And for a Overclock increase with the 3466 strap going from a 40.75 to a 41 Multiplier:

As a comparison with a +3 (103 // CPU FSB) 4120MHZ CPU & 3300MHZ Memory:

Initial Reviews:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/105241-gskill-flare-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-f4-3200c14d-16gfx/?page=4
http://www.legitreviews.com/g-skill-flare-x-series-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-amd-memory-kit-review_194153
https://proclockers.com/reviews/memory/gskill-flare-x-3200mhz-ddr4-2x8gb-16gb-memory-review

Summary: Initial performance was lacking, but with a beta 1.0.0.6 code it is performing beyond my initial expectations. Now if we can overclock the Ryzen like these modules...
49 REPLIES 49

McRoll wrote:
I now also tried with 1401 and via usb flashback like you described - it didnt make any difference.
What is peculiar, it starts with 1,26 something volt when you leave at default, but even if I change one single thing like SMT off, then Dram voltage is instantly at 1,41 again - totally unrelated to what I changed.
Only thing I didnt try yet was changing out RAM slots. - they are in slots 2 and 4 because it said "recommended" in the mainboard manual. Can this be the issue? I'd need to demount my Noctua cooler before I can take the RAM out....
Also, I connected both 8 and 4 pin powercables for the CPU because it is also recommended - but can it be that too much voltage is applied if both cables are conneceted?

And finally, why does Asus think that it is a good idea to feed the CPU up to 1,5 V peak voltage in the default settings? I cannot leave it like that, the CPU cooks with 50 C° in idle!

Well, flash back was what solve the similar issue for me, that's why it was first thing I suggested.
in case you didn't clear bios before flash back, give that a try again 🙂
I tried to change what you changed, like SMT, make no difference for the voltage for me, which is manually set for 1.35.

Now, I only connected 8 pin power for CPU. it's one of the option, 8 pin or 8 + 4 pin.
So doesn't hurt to just try 8 pin only.
with my current default setting, CPU voltage in default setting is @ 1.395-1.4
if i go with offset mode with + 0.00625, it's around 1.352
temp is idle around 32C per "Ryzen master", and this is important if you are using any other software to monitor the temp.

Also, it would be nice to know what your hardware set up is, like CPU.
people with similar hardware might had experience same issue and they might have solution already
Easiest way is just go to your profile, click on the pen icon next to # of friends.
and update your profile.

good luck

McRoll wrote:
I now also tried with 1401 and via usb flashback like you described - it didnt make any difference.
What is peculiar, it starts with 1,26 something volt when you leave at default, but even if I change one single thing like SMT off, then Dram voltage is instantly at 1,41 again - totally unrelated to what I changed.
Only thing I didnt try yet was changing out RAM slots. - they are in slots 2 and 4 because it said "recommended" in the mainboard manual. Can this be the issue? I'd need to demount my Noctua cooler before I can take the RAM out....
Also, I connected both 8 and 4 pin powercables for the CPU because it is also recommended - but can it be that too much voltage is applied if both cables are conneceted?

And finally, why does Asus think that it is a good idea to feed the CPU up to 1,5 V peak voltage in the default settings? I cannot leave it like that, the CPU cooks with 50 C° in idle!

I had the same problem as you with the dram voltage going into 1.438 @ 2400 with my g.skill ddr4-3200 flare x 16gb x2 sticks. Even If I change one setting in the bios my dram voltage would change to 1.438v. Default it went to 2400 with dram voltage 1.286v.

Default out of the box bios

Manual setup with cpu @ 4ghz @ 1.438v vcore and ddr4-3200 @ 3066 with dram voltage 1.35v by applying manually 1.27 in the dram voltage which gave me the 1.35v lol

Here is my latest screenshot in hwinfo64 showing cpu temps, vcore and dram

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anyone wanna check out my stats to see if I'm doing anything wrong or can improve please.

Edit: Added new photo of cpu and memory stats from hwinfo64

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am having an issue with my Ryzen 7 1700, my Asus C6H and the kit F4-3200C14D-16GFX. I cannot get pass and training, it always gives me an F9 error and defaults the ram to 2400 16-16-16-16-39. I have used the profiles, done manual settings (14-14-14-14-34 and even 48 with and without it) set to 1T, disabled power down and gear down mode (tried them both ways), set my volts to 1.35 (reg and boot), and adjusted the CBS options too. It always gives me an F9 error and never sets to 3200 14-14-14-14-34 1.35v. Before I forget I set ProcODT to 60 (once only in CBS then also on mem tweaks).

Now. I am on Bios 1403. I am a very very sad panda. Is there anything else I can try or just give up cuz it could me a memory controller issue ?

makkusu wrote:
I am having an issue with my Ryzen 7 1700, my Asus C6H and the kit F4-3200C14D-16GFX. I cannot get pass and training, it always gives me an F9 error and defaults the ram to 2400 16-16-16-16-39. I have used the profiles, done manual settings (14-14-14-14-34 and even 48 with and without it) set to 1T, disabled power down and gear down mode (tried them both ways), set my volts to 1.35 (reg and boot), and adjusted the CBS options too. It always gives me an F9 error and never sets to 3200 14-14-14-14-34 1.35v. Before I forget I set ProcODT to 60 (once only in CBS then also on mem tweaks).

Now. I am on Bios 1403. I am a very very sad panda. Is there anything else I can try or just give up cuz it could me a memory controller issue ?

are you also overclocking CPU as well? if so, just try oc the ram by itself first and have everything else on default.
have you tried 1 stick at a time? could be issue with ram itself. and I will say just try manually set frequency between 2400 - 3200 and see what works for you. (or use different DOCP setting to see what frequency the ram is comfortable with first)
dont bother with other setting yet, just let it auto train.
make sure the dram voltage is actually 1.35 when you enter bios.

andyliu wrote:
are you also overclocking CPU as well? if so, just try oc the ram by itself first and have everything else on default.
have you tried 1 stick at a time? could be issue with ram itself. and I will say just try manually set frequency between 2400 - 3200 and see what works for you. (or use different DOCP setting to see what frequency the ram is comfortable with first)
dont bother with other setting yet, just let it auto train.
make sure the dram voltage is actually 1.35 when you enter bios.

Hey! Thank you for the reply and the ideas. Here is what I have tried:
1) I have loaded all my default settings and only tried OCing the RAM alone without my CPU OC.
2) Clear CMOS/drain PSU power
3) Resit the ram
4) Set it it 2666 16-16-16-39 1.35V and the ram would still fail to train and set to 2666 (sycn boot v with ram v)
5) USB Flash back to 1501, no luck there either.

Btw I am using dimm slots A2 and B2(the gray ones, the second and last if you look from the cpu socket to the edge of the board).

I have not tried 1 stick at a time yet. I am going to try that when my will comes back. I am pretty bummed down atm. But thanks for the reply and the ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1:
andyliu thank you so much for suggesting trying one stick at a time. I don't know why I did not do this to begin with. It was staring at me all this time but it didnt register on my head until I tested the second stick and it did not post. Then in my head i remember a detail I was seeing all this time... the bios only registered 8xxxMB of memory... all this time.
One stick took the 3200 profile with no problems at all. Thank you again, going to return this kit.

makkusu wrote:
Hey! Thank you for the reply and the ideas. Here is what I have tried:
1) I have loaded all my default settings and only tried OCing the RAM alone without my CPU OC.
2) Clear CMOS/drain PSU power
3) Resit the ram
4) Set it it 2666 16-16-16-39 1.35V and the ram would still fail to train and set to 2666 (sycn boot v with ram v)
5) USB Flash back to 1501, no luck there either.

Btw I am using dimm slots A2 and B2(the gray ones, the second and last if you look from the cpu socket to the edge of the board).

I have not tried 1 stick at a time yet. I am going to try that when my will comes back. I am pretty bummed down atm. But thanks for the reply and the ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1:
andyliu thank you so much for suggesting trying one stick at a time. I don't know why I did not do this to begin with. It was staring at me all this time but it didnt register on my head until I tested the second stick and it did not post. Then in my head i remember a detail I was seeing all this time... the bios only registered 8xxxMB of memory... all this time.
One stick took the 3200 profile with no problems at all. Thank you again, going to return this kit.

np, I am just lucky enough to have all 4 sticks working for me 😛 good luck on your new kits

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
too many people are using different cpu's. One person is using an 1800x, someone else a 1700 and another 1700x. We should have threads for each, without the others on it. It would be a lot easier for like builders to share info.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
too many people are using different cpu's. One person is using an 1800x, someone else a 1700 and another 1700x. We should have threads for each, without the others on it. It would be a lot easier for like builders to share info.

I agree with you as I'd like others with the same specs as myself so that they can check my bios and voltages cos I've been having really weird problems since I built my rig. x
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@aeonconcepts How did you manage to take screenshots of your bios please?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]