cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Fixed . . . Kinda* BIOS Versions After 2606 Reduce 2700X Performance on CH7

Nick_Name
Level 7
I've tried every BIOS version I could find after 2606 (beta and SMU modded and most recent 2801) and all of them reduce the performance of my 2700X on the CH7. I use Performance Enhancer 3 in all tests. Can anyone confirm the same? And does anyone have a solution or at least a reason for the reduction in performance?

Edit:
I figured it out. The culprit was Performance Bias Aida/Geekbench.
19 REPLIES 19

amadeus1171 wrote:
I'm still on 2703

I'm sorry, but that means what? Are you using a 2700X? Are you seeing the same reduction in performance as I am? Or perhaps something different?

Nick Name wrote:
I'm sorry, but that means what? Are you using a 2700X? Are you seeing the same reduction in performance as I am? Or perhaps something different?

Well, if you're gonna be like that, I'm not gonna tell.

amadeus1171 wrote:
Well, if you're gonna be like that, I'm not gonna tell.

Ummm, politely asking what you meant?

Nick Name wrote:
Ummm, politely asking what you meant?

'Haven't really noticed a difference.

I've just tested with my CH7 and 2700X and see some performance degradation in CInebench R20.

BIOS 2606
Multi core: 4004
Single core: 432

BIOS 2801
Multi core: 3982
Single core: 423

amadeus1171 wrote:
'Haven't really noticed a difference.

Ah, ok. Thank you.

Frostie36
Level 7
C7H & 2700x here and I don't notice any difference but then I'm too busy actually using my system instead of running load of benchmark apps to see if the scores have dropped but all the apps & games I am using don't appear to be running slower or giving me less fps than I'm used to.

Edit : those cb scores posted above appear to be within margin of error, also any apps you have running can have a big effect on cb scores, you can easily test that by running cb with the highest process priority, if you do that you'll see higher scores than if cb has a normal process priority, I've tested that on my setup in the past & I always see the highest scores when I adjust the process priority.

Frostie36 wrote:
C7H & 2700x here and I don't notice any difference but then I'm too busy actually using my system instead of running load of benchmark apps to see if the scores have dropped but all the apps & games I am using don't appear to be running slower or giving me less fps than I'm used to.

Edit : those cb scores posted above appear to be within margin of error, also any apps you have running can have a big effect on cb scores, you can easily test that by running cb with the highest process priority, if you do that you'll see higher scores than if cb has a normal process priority, I've tested that on my setup in the past & I always see the highest scores when I adjust the process priority.

Yeah, this isn't the kind of performance hit you'd notice without benchmarks. His CB20 scores may be margin of error, but since I forgot to test CB20 I don't have a point of reference. My CB15 score difference is certainly not margin of error though.

And I don't know if you meant to sound condescending, but the way I use my system entertains me as much as the things I do on my system. I love to tinker with it and will do so purely to entertain myself though it may not provide any useful gains.

The problem persists in BIOS 2901. You'll see that I've reverted back to 1201 to run daily as 2606 has a problem with fans slowing or stopping. CPU performance between 1201 and 2606 are near identical in these instances though.

Edit:
I can't seem to upload images.

I got it sorted. I thought I had ruled out what turned out to be the culprit back with BIOS 2703, but I didn't. The culprit is Performance Bias setting Aida/Geekbench.