cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast charging problem on Prime X570-Pro motherboard

madbrain
Level 7
I have an Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard with an AMD 5950X CPU.

I am trying to fast charge my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. I am using a USB-C to USB-C cable which works fine fine all charging bricks at the maximum rate, including Samsung's own charger at their so-called "Super fast charging" rate.

When I plug in the USB cable to the lone USB-C connector on the back of the motherboard, and then to the phone, I get a prompt on the phone to start Samsung Dex, since I have Dex installed on the PC. I decline. I can see that the phone goes into "Fast charging" mode, showing a charge time of about 1h8mins, from the current 24% state of charge. About 2 seconds later, the phone switches to "Charging" mode, and the predicted charge time jumps to 2h42 mins.

Obviously, the hardware is capable of fast charging, since the phone starts charging in that mode when plugged in. There is some sort of software issue that makes it stop. I am using Windows 10 21H2, build 19044.1586 . I don't have any Asus-branded software installed. Is there something I need to install get to get fast charging to keep working for more than a few seconds ? And if so, what specifically ?
3 REPLIES 3

SmokeyKilla
Level 8
Prime x-570 Pro does not support fast charging except with apple products

SmokeyKilla wrote:
Prime x-570 Pro does not support fast charging except with apple products

Thanks for your response. Is this documented anywhere ? The word Apple does not appear anywhere in the PDF manual for the motherboard, ot its specifications.

The manual mentions the Ai Charger feature, as do the specs on the web site.
Fast charging is also mentioned on page 1-14 about the internal connector U32G1_12 .

This connector allows you to connect a USB 3.2 Gen 1 module for additional USB
3.2 Gen 1 front or rear panel ports. With an installed USB 3.2 Gen 1 module, you can
enjoy all the benefits of USB 3.2 Gen 1 including faster data transfer speeds of up to
5 Gb/s, faster charging time for USB-chargeable

Nothing about Apple there.

I don't have any Apple device to test with, but perhaps I can ask a friend to bring one and the corresponding USB cable, and then test it.
Is Ai charger feature supposed to work only with the USB-C port, or should it also work with any of the USB 3.2 ports ?

Where can I download Ai Charger software ? It is not in the list at https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-X570-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/ .

Is Ai Charger part of Armoury Crate ? I tried Armoury crate before, but it severely messed up my Windows OS. The uninstaller didn't work. I ended up restoring the OS from backup to get rid of it.

Mack023
Level 9

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to use only the authorized chargers.