cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fans and lights running constantly when powered off

Cujo159
Level 7
I would be most appreciative of assistance with the issue I'm having on my brand new build. This is the first ASUS mobo I've used since a build in 2009 and have not experienced it with Gigabyte mobos, EVGA GPUs, and Corsair PSUs I've used previously. The only new brand to my build process is the ASUS mobo.

System Specs:

• Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
  • GPU: EVGA 3080ti FTW3
  • RAM: GSkill DDR4-3800 4x16bg
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Issue:
All Case fans and 2/3 GPU fans continuously spin after the computer is shut down; fan, GPU brace, and LED strip lights also remain powered after shutdown. In this state, PSU is still plugged in with the breaker switch on. This issue was present before the first power-up when all the hardware was connected and the PSU breaker was powered on.

Video:

Hardware Configuration

• Case fans and LED strips (all Corsair) are hooked up to a Corsair iCUE Commander Pro lighting and fan speed controller. This controller connects to the mobo via USB connection and has dedicated power to it from the PSU
  • GPU is plugged into the mobo PCI-E x16 #1 slot as normal and powered by the PSU via 3 8-connection power cables
  • GPU bracket holder RGB LED is plugged directly into ASUS MOBO RGB port (no additional power provided)

Troubleshooting thus far

• Adjusted Aura BIOS setting to all be off when in sleep or soft-off mode (no success)
  • Adjusted BIOS setting to not provide power to USB ports when powered off or soft-off (no success)
  • Plugged fans directly into mobo fan control slots (partial success - fans did not spin while off but LEDs remained powered while remaining connected to the iCUE controller)
  • Disconnected power to iCUE Controller (partial success - no case fans, their lights, or LED strips were powered obviously but 2/3 GPU fans remained spinning)
  • Switched off PSU breaker (success, obviously)
  • Asked Reddit (catastrophic failure, obviously)

Assumption: ASUS Mobo is causing the issue through some process that's providing latent power through USB ports
Rational

• GPU Bracket LEDs are plugged directly into the mobo
  • GPU is seated properly in the PCI-E x16 #1 slot and powered appropriately by the requisite power cables
  • CD drive (yes I still use them) is receiving power as well when off (connected via SATA and PSU power cable
  • USB hub is receiving power (connected via USB 3.0 cable and 2 PSU power cables)
  • IceGiant CPU cooler fans are plugged into Mobo CPU fan port and do not continuously spin when powered off (identical to when case fans are plugged in directly to mobo)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all may be able to provide. While it looks cool when powered down, I'd rather not reduce the life of the GPU and case fans.
22 REPLIES 22

pndiode
Level 11
...bought a new identical one from NewEgg. SAME ISSUE

ASUS RAM QVL GSkill DDR4-3800 4x16GB for your Mobo (4x16GB DIMM not listed, maybe 2x16GB, but Part No. only list DDR4 3866):

GSkill Ram Configurator for DDR4-3800 2x16GB for your Mobo (Did you try just two sticks?):

GSkill Ram Configurator for DDR4-3800 4x16GB for your Mobo (no products found).

For example: GSkill F4-3600C17Q-16GVK when installed on a VIII Formula I sometimes have the same problems you have now. ASUS QVL list G.Skill F4-3600C17-16GVK (2 or 4 DIMM, note: no Q after 17). GSkill Ram Configurator does not list it as compatible for the VIII Formula. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, and so, is it GSkill or ASUS?

Another example: GSkill F4-3600C19Q-32GTZRB works flawlessly on the IX Extreme and verified by GSkill, but it is not listed on the ASUS QVL for the IX Extreme.

I think it is your memory, but I could be wrong.

uprising
Level 7
I once had a similar issue years ago using a ATI X1650 pro the pc wouldn’t shut down only restarted every time I tried.
Turned out it was the gpu drivers pc shut down fine after.
Might be worth trying DDU and reinstalling drivers.*

Anuplinux
Level 7

Sorry to bump this old thread, but posting this here in case it helps someone like me.

During recabling, I removed the Addressable RGB Controller (powered via onboard USB header) Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 and connected the fans directly to Aura headers on my motherboard. I tested all good and shut down my system and I saw that the CPU fan was not running. I guess the RGB Controller kept my PSU  powered on which kept the CPU fan also idling.