cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZ-Flash not working

anagram
Level 7
Hi,

I have the Crosshair VII Hero mobo and I am trying to flash the BIOS. I made sure my USB is in FAT32 format and placed the cap file in it. When I go to load the file in EZ Flash, it tells me that it isn't a proper BIOS. I am at a loss and I can't figure out why it wont read it.
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hi anagram

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Download the bios file then extract it to the usb flash drive.

I suspect you're placing the bios file on the usb flash drive before extracting it.

anagram
Level 7
I don't quite get what you mean between extracting it and placing the bios CAP file in the usb. Isn't it the same thing?

Nate152
No it's not the same thing, if you place the bios file on the usb flash drive without extracting it, it won't work.

Download the bios file then double click it, then click Browse, find your usb flash drive then extract it.

It should work after doing this.

anagram
Level 7
Okay, these are my steps. I don't have the Browse button but I am using winrar. I download the rar file->I open up the rar file to find the CAP file inside->I click "Extract to"->extract to the USB
After doing this, it still gives me the message.

Nate152
OK, I made a video so you can see and i wasn't being quite specific.

After the bios file downloads, go to your downloads and right click on the bios file and select "extract all", then click browse.

anagram
Level 7
Thanks for the video. After doing those exact steps, it is still giving me the "Selected file is not a proper BIOS" message. I have even tried the previous version bios too and it still gives that message.

Nate152
Hmmmm, if you did it the way I did in the video it should work, I'm not sure why it's not.

Would you have another usb flash drive to try with ?

anagram
Level 7
I have tried with 3 different usb sticks. Could it possibly be the way i formatted the USB? I tried quick and full format to FAT32 and neither work.

Nate152
FAT32 is what you want.

I suppose you could try renaming the bios file to C7H.CAP and see if this works, although for using ez-flash you shouldn't have to rename it.

Another way to update the bios is in ez flash, select update via the internet, then click DHCP, the earth globe.