cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any of the B550 or X570 models support stero to 5.1 encoding?

rubenalamina
Level 7
Hi. I'm thinking of making a new build with a Ryzen 7 5800X and one of the ASUS AMD motherboards but I would like to know if any of the models supports encoding stereo sources to 5.1 channels since it was a big pain point for many owners of the Z370 series motherboards (my current Z370-E doesn't support, only the -A model for example, which is weird because is a "lesser" model sort of speak). To clarify, this option should appear in the Sonic Audio control panel and allows you to encode any stereo source (think youtube, spotify) to 5.1 channels while using the optical/SPDIF output of the motherboard. It usually is either one of these two technologies: DTS or Dolby Digital.
2 REPLIES 2

TheLastElite
Level 7
Optical will only do 2.0 uncompressed and 5.1 compressed, HDMI will do everything. Realtek audio console doesn't let you configure much you would need a dedicated sound card for that.

TheLastElite wrote:
Optical will only do 2.0 uncompressed and 5.1 compressed, HDMI will do everything. Realtek audio console doesn't let you configure much you would need a dedicated sound card for that.

The setting I'm talking about is just a drop down item or a thick box usually. I know HDMI has more support but you still need to have encoding if the device you're connecting it to doesn't encode itself. I have a Yamaha amp that doesn't have HDMI and also Logitech Z906 that doesn't have HDMI either. DTS Connect and Dolby Digital have been a thing for years and the vast majority of motherboards in the market used to have both. But lately some OEM's just decided to not get support for them in their latest models for some reason.

Some of the Z370 models have it, like the Z370-A which is weird because the more feature packed -F and -E don't have it. The named models like Formula and others don't have that option iirc either. That's why I want to know if someone knows for sure what X570 models or B550 have it.