cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Impact, can't downgrade bios.

JohnEJohn
Level 7
My mistake, he has the ROG Strix X570-I Gaming.

A friend of mine recently built a system based around this motherboard, he upgraded the bios to v3003 and his system is now completely unstable, whea errors, nvme corruption etc

He wants to downgrade the bios but there is no flashback on this board, he has tried previous bioes using ezflash but nothing works, just get a message that it's not a proper bios etc.
flash drive is fat32, mbr, bios is correctly named.

Any idea how he can downgrade on this board as the latest bios has made his system unusable.
15 REPLIES 15

wyliec2 wrote:
Thread was updated to indicate this is an ROG Strix X570 I mobo and not Crosshair Impact.

That should make downgrading a problem.

Jonotallica
Level 7
1 - Don't upgrade to Zen 3 BIOS unless you have a Zen 3 chip, otherwise it's just unnecessary risk.

2 - Don't upgrade to Zen 3 BIOS unless you have seen from community feedback that it works well, or make sure that you have USB Flashback to revert back.

3 - If you don't know whether your board has USB Flashback or not, or you are unsure how to use it, you probably shouldn't be doing BIOS updates in the first place. Take it to a shop and have them do it for you. If there is a mistake, it's on them.. not you.

Jonotallica wrote:
1 - Don't upgrade to Zen 3 BIOS unless you have a Zen 3 chip, otherwise it's just unnecessary risk.

3900x here 4xRAM cl14 Latest BIOS... calls your claim bullocks.

Jonotallica wrote:

2 - Don't upgrade to Zen 3 BIOS unless you have seen from community feedback that it works well, or make sure that you have USB Flashback to revert back.

3 - If you don't know whether your board has USB Flashback or not, or you are unsure how to use it, you probably shouldn't be doing BIOS updates in the first place. Take it to a shop and have them do it for you. If there is a mistake, it's on them.. not you.

While this shouldn't be the case, there seems to be an element of reality to it.

I have a 3950X and have repeatedly had to revert back to 2206 (last BIOS prior to Zen 3 compatibility) because later BIOS were unstable.

Leaves us in a 'chicken and egg' dilemma - should I wait for a stable Zen 3 compatible BIOS while on my Zen 2 CPU before purchasing a new CPU or purchase a Zen 3 CPU and hope that it will run more stably than it does on Zen 2.

wyliec2 wrote:
While this shouldn't be the case, there seems to be an element of reality to it.

I have a 3950X and have repeatedly had to revert back to 2206 (last BIOS prior to Zen 3 compatibility) because later BIOS were unstable.

Leaves us in a 'chicken and egg' dilemma - should I wait for a stable Zen 3 compatible BIOS while on my Zen 2 CPU before purchasing a new CPU or purchase a Zen 3 CPU and hope that it will run more stably than it does on Zen 2.

This is the weird situation. It's really hard to buy a Zen 3 chip right now, but the longer you wait.. that buys time for the motherboards to provide future updates. In the short term Zen 3 is wierd, but in the long term it will be faster.

The longer you wait.. the more chance you can buy a chip, plug it in.. and it works the way it is supposed to. So in a weird way, the delay to buy Zen 3 is a blessing. Eventually it will all sort itself out, but in the short term.. people are impatient, and there are ots of bugs. "Early adopter tax".

Jonotallica wrote:

Right, first of all it was my mistake regarding the motherboard as he has both and several PC's, two of them sff living room setups, I simply got the two mixed up. Now with that out f the way.

1. He has a 5800x and new rog motherboard with an old bios, he needed to update.

2. He has a 5800x and new rog motherboard with an old bios, he needed to update. The bios being a pos is not his fault and I firmly believe that a £270 motherboard should have flashback or someway to downgrade the bios.

3. It is not my board but his, he lives several hundred miles away so I can't check but we have both quickly established that no, it does not have flashback. Neither of us are idiots and it doesn't take someone such as yourself with an obviously high IQ to flash a damned bios.

4. Merry F'n Christmas,