cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi with Ryzen 9 3950X won't start.

hallam
Level 7
I am trying to get the system below to start. Can't even get it to load the microcode into the CPU so no BIOS settings etc. Just fails with code 02. I flashbacked the bios to the latest version from the Web site (2206).

Thing is, I spent half a day putting the machine together, its a water cooled build. And given comments here, wondering what sending the board back will achieve beyond someone "testing" it with the wrong CPU, declaring it works and sending me back a board that won't boot because the software is foobar.

Has anyone got this motherboard to run with a 3950X? If I send it back will they actually check it with the correct chip? How can I determine if it is the chip or the motherboard that is faulty here?

This is my first experience with an AMD build after years of Intel. Wondering if I should cut my losses and go back.

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.2 Gen 2, 2.5Gbps LAN, WiFi 6

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core, 32-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

CORSAIR AX Series AX1000 CP-9020152-NA 1000W ATX12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-128GTZN
10 REPLIES 10

lLegendaary
Level 9
Dear ,

You've mentioned almost everything expect .. > GPU ?
Mainstream Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics. A dedicated GPU is required for use.

Please note that i dont use AMD but i will try to help you if that possible .

Also , Check you may 've loose cable 🙂
check 😄

Thanks .

Thanks for the help!

lLegendaary wrote:
Dear ,

You've mentioned almost everything expect .. > GPU ?
Mainstream Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics. A dedicated GPU is required for use.

Please note that i dont use AMD but i will try to help you if that possible .

Also , Check you may 've loose cable 🙂
check 😄

Thanks .

The GPU is (currently) an nVidia GTX 980 pulled from the machine the new build will replace. Now is not the time to buy an upper end nVidia GPU...

Machine is currently stripped to one stick of DRAM and the GPU is out while trying to get POST as per ASUS tech support. Will try fiddling with the cpu back plate as suggested.

Will probably strip it right down and rebuild, see if that does the trick.

How do I get a copy of the earlier BIOS to see if those work?

Ziggiesden
Level 7
Hi,

Back in 2009 I had a bad board and it took a wee bit of swapping components with friends to realise it was the board that was faulty.

Sent it back, got my replacement and it is still running right now with a QX9750.

Play the swap game if you can, if not return a component at a time, after you've tried a stick or two at a time to see if it boots...

Break a leg!

You'll see from my specs that I've been running just that for a month or so now.

Gary.

RedSector73
Level 12
The board can run CPU without issue.

Both EATX connectors (top left from CPU) must be connected for 3900x & 3950x CPU's or no boot.

Did you change the CPU backplate by chance. Overtightening of the CPU waterblock can cause non-boot and if you reverse the CPU backing plate (some come with their own and can be mounted backwards) can result in non-boot or Q code.

You should place one ram stick in A2 till you have boot. Once you have boot, you can add your sticks back in.

The RAM you have is not AMD QVL list when I searched for it (no big deal)
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen
but is on G.skill for the motherboard & Ryzen 3000 series. (this is good)
https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1580796223/F4-3200C16Q-128GTZN-Qvl

Hope you find this helpful.

BIGGRIMTIM
Level 7
I had the exact same issue with the 2206 BIOS. I am using 1302 and have been stable. I have tried every other BIOS release and nothing beyond 1302 is good for my 3950x.

I second the suggestion to try starting with individual RAM modules or maybe even better if you have an 8 or 16 GB module just to get to a minimally functional baseline....

I have Crosshair VIII Formula with 3950x - it's interesting the experiences with different BIOS versions people are reporting.....for me, 1302 and 2010 were buggy - crashing/freezing on a regular basis. 2103 was the first version that gave me a truly stable platform. I recently updated to 2206 and it's been good so far.

I'm using 2x16GB g.skill Trident 3600 CAS 16 RAM with Corsair MP600 1 TB nvme PCIE-4 SSD and Gigabyte 2070 Super.

I have the same issues I’ve had it for about 1-2 months with some slight issues then today I’ve been having nothing but bad post codes (02) I have tried every thing re-seating the GPU CPU RAM new CMOs battery flashing new bios nothing has worked.

Marvin K Mooney wrote:
I have the same issues I’ve had it for about 1-2 months with some slight issues then today I’ve been having nothing but bad post codes (02) I have tried every thing re-seating the GPU CPU RAM new CMOs battery flashing new bios nothing has worked.

I too have random boot issues where I have to reload the settings before I can continue with my overclock.

The system seems to perform some sort of internal bios check - seemingly it is some new stability test built into the newest firmwares. Mostly it is happy but sometimes I get an error code that some say is related to Infinty Fabric.

Overall, I'm happy with my build but it could be better - BIOS improvement perhaps? As to 2206 I had weird things like USB ports not working so went back to 1302 which others too have found to be the most stable. Joy.

Waiting in anticipation for another update - if we get one...

Be careful out there!