cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) what's going on with new BIOS versions ?

GoLLuM13
Level 7
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm on the 3801 version and everything is stable and works perfectly but as soon as I try a higher version 3904 or 4006 for example, I have multiple and random issues whether at boot with a black screen and different Q-Codes each time amongst them 02 - 22 - FA - F9, I also had error messages such as "BIOS Recovery mode has been detected" or "Invalid signature detected" (for those two I guess it's because of the USB drive I used to flash the BIOS), when I manage to load Windows 11 and reboot whether I have the same symptoms or I have a BSOD while loading Windows or after it, and all of these problems happen mostly when I set up the RAM whether manually (as soon as I reach 2800Mhz) or via D.O.C.P., and they disappear as soon as I set memory to "auto" or flash back 3801 BIOS version

Am I the only one having these kinds of issues ? What am I doing wrong ? Or is it like I think a problem with the new BIOSes versions since everything is working perfectly with older versions 3801 and previous ?

Of course, I flashed again and again multiple times, with different USB drives, from different downloads for a same version with Clear CMOS before and after flashing, tried with Bios Flashback and EZ Flash 3

My build : Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) - Ryzen 9 3900x - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M4C3000C15 (8GB*4 - 3000Mhz - C15) - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500G - nVidia RTX 3090 FE
Main PC : Asus C8HW / AMD Ryzen 9 3900x / 32 Go 3000 Mhz C15 Corsair Vengeance RGB / nVidia RTX 3090 FE / Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500G / Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black / Lian-li O11 Dynamic XL RoG Certified / Corsair AX1500i
Secondary PC : Asus R5E / Intel i7 5930K / 16 Go 2800 Mhz C16 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 / Asus GTX 980 Poseidon / Samsung 850 Pro 256G / XSPC W/C / Cooler Master Cosmos 2 / FSP Hydro G Pro 850
24 REPLIES 24

Newer AGESA have different behavior with Voltages, if you OCed your system you need to find again PBO+CO curves, stable RAM settings etc.
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (SP97)
- Mobo : ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero // Bios 1801 (AGESA Combo AM5 PI 1.0.8.0)
- GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6700XT (XFX SWFT 309) waiting for 7900XTX/RTX 4090 // Monitor : LG 27GR95QE-B OLED 240Hz
- RAM : 32GB (2*16GB) Corsair Dominator CMT32GX5M2X7800C36 Hynix A-Die @ 6400C28 GDM OFF @1.68V
- SSD : 1* Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 + 1* Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA + 1* Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SATA
- CPU cooler : Corsair H150i elite LCD (360mm)
- PSU : Corsair HX850i (OCP multi rail)

DvLAx3l wrote:
Newer AGESA have different behavior with Voltages, if you OCed your system you need to find again PBO+CO curves, stable RAM settings etc.

Like I wrote few posts before, problems were with memory speed, everything else at default, but as soon as I reach 2800 Mhz, problems begin.
There's even someone who had these problems, swapped his Ryzen 3000 CPU for a Ryzen 5000 and like magic, problems disappeared
Main PC : Asus C8HW / AMD Ryzen 9 3900x / 32 Go 3000 Mhz C15 Corsair Vengeance RGB / nVidia RTX 3090 FE / Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500G / Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black / Lian-li O11 Dynamic XL RoG Certified / Corsair AX1500i
Secondary PC : Asus R5E / Intel i7 5930K / 16 Go 2800 Mhz C16 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 / Asus GTX 980 Poseidon / Samsung 850 Pro 256G / XSPC W/C / Cooler Master Cosmos 2 / FSP Hydro G Pro 850

Just stumbled on this thread.
I am in the process of building a pc with this mobo.

First thing I did after the initial fire up was to update to 4006. I currently have the 5900x and G.Skill memory 32GB in 2 sticks.

Am I likely to see instability? I won't have noticed anything obviously but now I'm wondering if I should revert to 3801 till Asus fix problems, or is this instability related to specific configurations and hardware?

louiscar wrote:
Just stumbled on this thread.
I am in the process of building a pc with this mobo.

First thing I did after the initial fire up was to update to 4006. I currently have the 5900x and G.Skill memory 32GB in 2 sticks.

Am I likely to see instability? I won't have noticed anything obviously but now I'm wondering if I should revert to 3801 till Asus fix problems, or is this instability related to specific configurations and hardware?

As you could read it here, there's a slight chance so that you have instability since you have a Ryzen 5000, but you'll know very quickly if you'll have instability or not, and you can revert to 3801 very easily even after installing Windows, especially now that you know.
If you can set up your memory speed (via DOCP or manually) access your OS and restart (once or more) without having any memory related Q-Code, black screen or whatsoever, you're good to go

GoLLuM13 wrote:
As you could read it here, there's a slight chance so that you have instability since you have a Ryzen 5000, but you'll know very quickly if you'll have instability or not, and you can revert to 3801 very easily even after installing Windows, especially now that you know.
If you can set up your memory speed (via DOCP or manually) access your OS and restart (once or more) without having any memory related Q-Code, black screen or whatsoever, you're good to go

Thanks Gollum13,

To be frank this is the first AMD system I've built since the old Athlons many many moons ago, so I'm a little unsure about this beast and its quirks.
Currently I have literally only chucked a quick Wraith cooler on it (360 AIO waiting in the wings)- installed into case and done some initial "I'm ok tests". No O/s yet or any pushing the envelope till later so hence I doubt I'd see any instability at this stage.

I decided to go back to 3801 anyway as when it comes to it I can see where I can push this and then flash later firmwares and then see if the current settings I was happy with give any problems. 3801 is still better than the 3401 I had out of the box.... I presume.

I am taking this slow as I don't have experience with O/C on Ryzens . My last was ASus x99 deluxe with 5930 and I let Asus figure out a 37% o/c. I am not one for O/c to maximum, I prefer to get on with using the PC and happy with reasonable O/c.

I'll be sure to heed your advice when I switch to test if this instability rears it's head once I'm ready to go to 4006.

Do you know if Asus is aware of this problem?

louiscar wrote:
Thanks Gollum13,

To be frank this is the first AMD system I've built since the old Athlons many many moons ago, so I'm a little unsure about this beast and its quirks.
Currently I have literally only chucked a quick Wraith cooler on it (360 AIO waiting in the wings)- installed into case and done some initial "I'm ok tests". No O/s yet or any pushing the envelope till later so hence I doubt I'd see any instability at this stage.

I decided to go back to 3801 anyway as when it comes to it I can see where I can push this and then flash later firmwares and then see if the current settings I was happy with give any problems. 3801 is still better than the 3401 I had out of the box.... I presume.

I am taking this slow as I don't have experience with O/C on Ryzens . My last was ASus x99 deluxe with 5930 and I let Asus figure out a 37% o/c. I am not one for O/c to maximum, I prefer to get on with using the PC and happy with reasonable O/c.

I'll be sure to heed your advice when I switch to test if this instability rears it's head once I'm ready to go to 4006.

Do you know if Asus is aware of this problem?

You're welcome louiscar 😉
Just like you I was on X99 with a Rampage V Extreme with a 5930K and went with a Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) and a 3900X, I won't lie to you, I haven't overclocked the CPU this time I just use the PBO and let it do its magic, the only thing I overclocked (for benchmarks) was the memory.
As for the question if "Asus is aware of the problem" I'm pretty sure, they do, I contacted them, sent them what they want to "investigate" I even sent links to this forum, so they can check, what they did is checking the scenario that where I told them everything was working and not the problematic one, and then told me to do just like that because my windows is not installed correctly or it has a problem when I updated the BIOS 😄 you probably understood, it's just a bunch of nonesense so they won't admit. Even if they do, the problem comes from AMD (since it's in the AGESA) so all we have to do is wait a new version and test it eventually.
I just went (again) to other manufacturers forums, and saw same issues but with 1.2.0.5 version only and told people to update, probably because they used 1.2.0.6c instead of 1.2.0.6b like Asus did :rolleyes:

GoLLuM13 wrote:
You're welcome louiscar 😉
Just like you I was on X99 with a Rampage V Extreme with a 5930K and went with a Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) and a 3900X, I won't lie to you, I haven't overclocked the CPU this time I just use the PBO and let it do its magic, the only thing I overclocked (for benchmarks) was the memory.
As for the question if "Asus is aware of the problem" I'm pretty sure, they do, I contacted them, sent them what they want to "investigate" I even sent links to this forum, so they can check, what they did is checking the scenario that where I told them everything was working and not the problematic one, and then told me to do just like that because my windows is not installed correctly or it has a problem when I updated the BIOS 😄 you probably understood, it's just a bunch of nonesense so they won't admit. Even if they do, the problem comes from AMD (since it's in the AGESA) so all we have to do is wait a new version and test it eventually.
I just went (again) to other manufacturers forums, and saw same issues but with 1.2.0.5 version only and told people to update, probably because they used 1.2.0.6c instead of 1.2.0.6b like Asus did :rolleyes:

OK so now I've looked up on AGESA I understand that this is AMD's code which Asus would put into the bios.

I also realised that this particular thread is for the HERO and mine is the DARK HERO. I hadn't noticed that because the BIOS versions being talked about were the same.
I'm guessing though that these 2 motherboards are so similar that it's probably going to affect them both equally and perhaps the bios is the same for them,

It's typical that Asus didnt' listen to what you told them, if they did they'd not suggest Windows at all, it's quite obvious.

skellattarr
Level 10
Hi, I tried bios 4006, and the same here system crash all the time I believe that the BIOS is made for the 5000 series CPU and seems to be not compatible with 3000 series CPU or older. It could be that the 3801 BIOS is the last BIOS for the 3000 series CPU
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

Latest AGESA 1.2.0.5 / 1.2.0.6 capped 5000 series Voltages and other stuff due to 5800X3D cache issues that cannot be OCed easily for consumers, we hopes that AMD release new SMU updates that separates ZEN3 SKU 5000 from SKU 50003D, it's not an ASUS UEFI problem, it's just AMD making bull****
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (SP97)
- Mobo : ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero // Bios 1801 (AGESA Combo AM5 PI 1.0.8.0)
- GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6700XT (XFX SWFT 309) waiting for 7900XTX/RTX 4090 // Monitor : LG 27GR95QE-B OLED 240Hz
- RAM : 32GB (2*16GB) Corsair Dominator CMT32GX5M2X7800C36 Hynix A-Die @ 6400C28 GDM OFF @1.68V
- SSD : 1* Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 + 1* Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA + 1* Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SATA
- CPU cooler : Corsair H150i elite LCD (360mm)
- PSU : Corsair HX850i (OCP multi rail)

skellattarr wrote:
Hi, I tried bios 4006, and the same here system crash all the time I believe that the BIOS is made for the 5000 series CPU and seems to be not compatible with 3000 series CPU or older. It could be that the 3801 BIOS is the last BIOS for the 3000 series CPU

I'm not sure if that is true either. I have heard speculation that it's issues with the ryzen 5800X3D.
I originally purchased my system with a 3950x when they first came out. I upgraded to a 5950x by ordering both as soon as they came out before they were in short supply and scalped. It was a short window where I barely payed more than the difference in retail prices by reselling the 3950x.

Anyway, with having a 5950x and 4004 and 4006, I have had major issues with crashing since. The update wiped my profiles where I had my memory completely optimized and I was thinking of backing those up to my sd card and stupidly didn't. No matter, I had the ryzen memory calculator screenshots saved. So I entered them in and things ran ok until I started getting crashes occasionally. I didn't think others were having issues as no one was posting about it. So I tried lowering my timings to the xmp timings and then went with stock to no avail. Tried using different voltages. I don't know why I mistakenly thought it was I screwed up my memory timings. Turns out 3904 was a pretty solid bios for me.
This is sort of the first time my computer had issues this bad. Daily crashing isn't good, or sometimes twice on a weekend if it's in use all day.