cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi) odd behavior?

digmeahole1
Level 10
Hi guys, odd question..

Every ROG MB i have ever owned inc the non-wifi version of this board would shut down & reset itself after i overclocked it or if i turned up or down LLC or anything similar. I would save setting and would shut itself totally off for a second then reboot.

This board does not.... No matter what setting i change it just reboots instead of a shutdown & restart like all the others?

Am i missing something? I even updated the bios to the same one and still nothing. I should not i am making many changes in the bios from oc the processor and the memory and still nothing.

Help please..
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
17 REPLIES 17

digmeahole1
Level 10
Spoke to support. They sent it to an engineer. Rep said never seen anything like it. Neither have I. I will update the thread when i have a response. I hope i dont have to RMA this board. Taking apart my loop is going to so much freaking fun...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Not all boards require an AC cycle, as long as the voltage is changing I'm not sure there's anything to address here. It can depend on the UEFI config as to what controllers are enabled/disabled, too. My CH8 behaves exactly in the same way.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Not all boards require an AC cycle, as long as the voltage is changing I'm not sure there's anything to address here. It can depend on the UEFI config as to what controllers are enabled/disabled, too. My CH8 behaves exactly in the same way.

This is very odd as the Redsector also has the same board and his does cycle. What do you believe in the bios is responsiable for cycling the board? i would like to give it a run.

Thanks for the info.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

I tried almost every option from raid to controllers on and off each one at a time and no matter what i changed i never got a restart, aka cycle. If you are running the same board do you ever remember having a power cycle? Also from what i remember when ever i loaded optimized defaults i always had one.
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:

I tried almost every option from raid to controllers on and off Bluetooth, WiFi, adapters, uefi boot options, each one at a time and no matter what i changed i never got a restart, aka cycle. If you are running the same board do you ever remember having a power cycle? Also from what i remember when ever i loaded optimized defaults i always had one.

I have no reason to think this will help or is the cause, but I would also look at.

If you have custom backing plate is it on correctly. (ie not backwards or missing isolation covers etc)
Is it possible to overtighten the loop block onto the CPU. (ie does backing them off a little change things)

None of the above is suggested by the problem and don't expect this will help. But figured worth checking anyway.

RedSector73 wrote:
I have no reason to think this will help or is the cause, but I would also look at.

If you have custom backing plate is it on correctly. (ie not backwards or missing isolation covers etc)
Is it possible to overtighten the loop block onto the CPU. (ie does backing them off a little change things)

None of the above is suggested by the problem and don't expect this will help. But figured worth checking anyway.

I tried it and it was a little too tight for my taste but no changes. Hopefully getting a response from Asus today. Thanks for your effort and good ideas.

digmeahole1
Level 10
I gave up. I am RMA'ing the board. only few days left before im stuck sending it to Asus and no way i am doing that. I took an insane plunge and went with the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS XTREME. Wish me luck. I haven't had a GB board many years... Maybe its about time.

If i ever get an answer from the engineer i will post it here.