cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi initial setup

Rubbermbn
Level 7
Hello,

I just finished my build and this is my first time using AMD ever. Ive built 3 gaming PCs with Intel and decided to cross over to the dark side to try it out.

Anyway, I'm just posting to see if theres any weird initial set up drivers/firmware/software that are easily missed by someone whos never worked with AMD. I updated the Bios, chipset, storage, and network drivers so far.

My system seems to be stable, but i just want to make sure

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
MOBO: Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Ram: 64gb Corsair Dominators
Storage: 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

CPU and GPU are fully custom watercooled with EK waterblocks

Any advice is appreciated
2 REPLIES 2

BamaInArk
Level 7
AMD is not really any different than Intel stuff. There is a proper order(generally speaking) in regards to installing fresh. When I am building a new system with new hardware components the first thing I do is update the motherboard to the latest bios FIRST. Maybe not beta however. Install the OS then install the AMD chipset drivers that you get from AMD and not the motherboard manufacturer. AMD itself tends to have the latest versions. I then install the latest drives from the motherboard manufacturer. I generally leave the internet disconnected until all the above are completed.

Then I might go to Microsoft Update and let it do it's thing with Updates.

BamaInArk wrote:
AMD is not really any different than Intel stuff. There is a proper order(generally speaking) in regards to installing fresh. When I am building a new system with new hardware components the first thing I do is update the motherboard to the latest bios FIRST. Maybe not beta however. Install the OS then install the AMD chipset drivers that you get from AMD and not the motherboard manufacturer. AMD itself tends to have the latest versions. I then install the latest drives from the motherboard manufacturer. I generally leave the internet disconnected until all the above are completed.

Then I might go to Microsoft Update and let it do it's thing with Updates.

Ok cool. I usually do the same list as you minus the leaving the internet disconnected. And i usually pre download all the installers onto a flash drive so i can just pop it in and do all the updates

Thanks for your reply