cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-fi + 5900x + 3080: Boot and BOCW issues

dmbrio
Level 7
Computer Type: Desktop GPU: RTX 3080 Strix OC CPU: RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE 24 THREADS Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR 8 Hero Wi-fi

RAM: 16GB TEAM GROUP NIGHT HAWK 4000MHZ C18 - TF1D416G4000HC18EDC01

PSU: CORSAIR HX1000i 1000W PLATINUM

Case: LIAN LI DYNAMIC XL ROG

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO 2004 & 20H2

GPU Drivers: GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER - WHQL Driver Version: 460.87 & 461.09

Chipset Drivers: AMD X570 CHIPSET DRIVERS VERSION 2.10.13.408

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb NVME

Background Applications: NONE

Two problems:

Problem #1: Extremely slow boot with explorer.exe hanging at startup.

Windows takes a long time to boot and when it finally does the taskbar doesn't function. I have to click on it for it to reload. I am not sure it is related to chipset drivers, it starts to occur after the first Windows update (no chipset or whatever drivers installed). I've tried W10 versions 2004/20H2 and Asus BIOS 3003, 3102 Beta and 3202 Beta. Same issue on all of them.

Troubleshooting Problem 1:

Slow boot issue video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRmWq-bPZQ

W10 clean installation with only one NVME (I have two)

Install W10 with pci-e 3.0 mode forced (instead of auto)

Boot with no USBs devices connected

Clear & install default security keys

GPU Driver downgrade to an earlier version

Chipset driver version from AMD website

Chipset driver version from ASUS website

3 different BIOS versions (3003, 3102 beta, 3202 beta)

Install on different SSD

Reconnect GPU

Reconnect PSU Cables

RAM in stock (2400)

CLR CMOS

Disable Fast Boot in both Windows and Bios

Change PC power plan to high performance

Change NVCP power management to high performance

Problem #2:Black Ops: Cold War - stutters like crazy and crashes into a fatal error.

The game stutters like crazy almost every turn/aim down sights and always result in a fatal error (scan and repair) after some time. I had a screenshot for that but deleted it by accident amongst many formats/bios updates/attempts to fix this.

Troubleshooting done:

GPU Driver reinstallation w/ DDU

GPU Nvidia Drivers 460.87 & 461.09

Disable Game Mode / Graphics acceleration

Disable fast boot in both Windows and Bios

Changing Windows powerplan to high performance

Changing Nvidia power plan to prefer high performance

Changing config file memory scale to 0.55 and 0.65 (this seems to minimize stutter a little, but ends up crashing anyways)

Downclocking GPU

Game full reinstall 6 times including other ssd

Deleting Settings folder on Documents

Register Cleanup

Clear CMOS

Clean Windows Install

Bios 3003 & 3202 Beta

Change PCI-E mode from auto to 4.0

Change worker count in config file

Force D3D11
6 REPLIES 6

PynkFloydd
Level 7
Do you know the manufacture date of your PSU (or remember when you bought it)? I ask because I just had a problem with my Seasonic 860W, which manufactures Corsair's PSUs. You can do a search for "seasonic 3080 problems" or "3080 3090 transient load spikes" and find some great detailed threads on this, but I believe the issues weren't resolved until 2019 PSUs.

I'm not guaranteeing this is the source of your issue, but it's something to troubleshoot. For reference, I started having hard reboots when launching Cold War when I upgraded to the 3090 Strix. Other games were fine. I could max out Red Dead Redemption 2 without problems, but as soon as I tried playing Cold War on max settings, I'd get a hard shutdown. I do still get occasional Cold War crashes, but they're rare after I upgraded to a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200W. Also, I'd suggest checking Cold War settings. I believe on max settings, I'm utilizing almost 19GB of VRAM. You may get a smoother experience turning down some settings as you may be maxing out the 10GB of VRAM on the 3080.

I'm on the Windows Insider Dev Channel builds and noticed they didn't resolve a problem with build updates until the last build or two with AMD power plans being inaccessible unless you did a manual reset and reinstall of the AMD drivers. I'd need to uninstall AMD chipset drivers then go into command prompt to run "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" then reboot and reinstall chipset drivers every build. I'm running Windows build 21277 on the AMD Balanced power plan for the 3900X with my 3090 set to the "quiet" mode on the selector switch and everything is running well. Be careful though since the latest Insider Dev builds can't run Cold War at all. BIOS version 3102 has been pretty good for me after upgrading my PSU, but I was able to run Cold War with my old PSU on 3003. 3202 BIOS has caused audio problems for me.

Hey bud,

Thank you for your reply.

Fortunately I can consider those not to be a problem because the system works perfectly well with an Enterprise LTSC Version (1809) no bugs at all in Cold War nor in the computer's boot time. Everything loads normally and fast as hell.

It's surely something with the Windows update at 20H2 that is messing stuff up. Also, if you are running Ryzen 3XXX, our problems do not compare I guess. From what I've been reading it affects only Ryzen 5XXX users.

I've seen other people with the same issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/kx04vd/5900x_rtx_3080_bo_cold_war_stuttering_and_fatal/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/amd-5900x-chipset-drivers-caus...

PynkFloydd wrote:
Do you know the manufacture date of your PSU (or remember when you bought it)? I ask because I just had a problem with my Seasonic 860W, which manufactures Corsair's PSUs. You can do a search for "seasonic 3080 problems" or "3080 3090 transient load spikes" and find some great detailed threads on this, but I believe the issues weren't resolved until 2019 PSUs.

I'm not guaranteeing this is the source of your issue, but it's something to troubleshoot. For reference, I started having hard reboots when launching Cold War when I upgraded to the 3090 Strix. Other games were fine. I could max out Red Dead Redemption 2 without problems, but as soon as I tried playing Cold War on max settings, I'd get a hard shutdown. I do still get occasional Cold War crashes, but they're rare after I upgraded to a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200W. Also, I'd suggest checking Cold War settings. I believe on max settings, I'm utilizing almost 19GB of VRAM. You may get a smoother experience turning down some settings as you may be maxing out the 10GB of VRAM on the 3080.

I'm on the Windows Insider Dev Channel builds and noticed they didn't resolve a problem with build updates until the last build or two with AMD power plans being inaccessible unless you did a manual reset and reinstall of the AMD drivers. I'd need to uninstall AMD chipset drivers then go into command prompt to run "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" then reboot and reinstall chipset drivers every build. I'm running Windows build 21277 on the AMD Balanced power plan for the 3900X with my 3090 set to the "quiet" mode on the selector switch and everything is running well. Be careful though since the latest Insider Dev builds can't run Cold War at all. BIOS version 3102 has been pretty good for me after upgrading my PSU, but I was able to run Cold War with my old PSU on 3003. 3202 BIOS has caused audio problems for me.

Glad to hear that you've isolated the issue. I'm not sure if it's the same bug as the latest Windows Insider build, but neither Cold War nor Modern Warfare will launch on the last 2 Insider builds. It does appear they've resolved the issue today, so hopefully it helps the issues with the Ryzen 5XXX and Cold War.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/01/21/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-212...

dmbrio wrote:
Hey bud,

Fortunately I can consider those not to be a problem because the system works perfectly well with an Enterprise LTSC Version (1809) no bugs at all in Cold War nor in the computer's boot time. Everything loads normally and fast as hell.

It's surely something with the Windows update at 20H2 that is messing stuff up. Also, if you are running Ryzen 3XXX, our problems do not compare I guess. From what I've been reading it affects only Ryzen 5XXX users.

I've seen other people with the same issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/kx04vd/5900x_rtx_3080_bo_cold_war_stuttering_and_fatal/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/amd-5900x-chipset-drivers-caus...

PynkFloydd wrote:
Glad to hear that you've isolated the issue. I'm not sure if it's the same bug as the latest Windows Insider build, but neither Cold War nor Modern Warfare will launch on the last 2 Insider builds. It does appear they've resolved the issue today, so hopefully it helps the issues with the Ryzen 5XXX and Cold War.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/01/21/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-212...

Hi,

Actually the Cold War issue returned even using the Enterprise edition. I didn't test it deep initially (just run a few DM vs Bots and a Face Off - 3v3). Yesterday I've tried to play multiplayer and the issue returned.

I will make a test with B450m Steel Legend from Asrock today and will most likely return my C8HW.

I just updated Windows to the latest build (21296), updated to the Nvidia hotfix drivers (461.33) and updated Cold War and Modern Warfare. I can launch Modern Warfare now, but Cold War will not launch. Previously, I experienced similar crashes and problems across both games. This makes me think it's a game issue rather than hardware.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), I haven't been able to source a 5900x yet and have no experience with the other issues. Hopefully they push out another update soon that resolves these problems for you.

dmbrio wrote:
Hi,

Actually the Cold War issue returned even using the Enterprise edition. I didn't test it deep initially (just run a few DM vs Bots and a Face Off - 3v3). Yesterday I've tried to play multiplayer and the issue returned.

I will make a test with B450m Steel Legend from Asrock today and will most likely return my C8HW.

PynkFloydd wrote:
I just updated Windows to the latest build (21296), updated to the Nvidia hotfix drivers (461.33) and updated Cold War and Modern Warfare. I can launch Modern Warfare now, but Cold War will not launch. Previously, I experienced similar crashes and problems across both games. This makes me think it's a game issue rather than hardware.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), I haven't been able to source a 5900x yet and have no experience with the other issues. Hopefully they push out another update soon that resolves these problems for you.

Hey bud,

I was experiencing that too, the first time the game wouldn't launch and result in a fatak error, I updated Windows (it was a clean install) and the game launched properly.

The second time (second clean W10 install) my Windows was already updated and the same error occured. I opened Battle.net app as an admin and the game launched normally.

Also, I have found the origin of my issues and the fix (which is the same and you will be amazed):

What is causing these issues (slow boot and BOCW stutter/fatal error) in my case is related to Razer Peripherals.

My PC installs and works perfectly fine without the Viper Ultimate and Huntsman Mini. I am currently using a Finalmouse UL2 Cape Town and an Anne Pro keyboard. Absolutely 0 issues.

As I did a clean offline installation of Windows 10 Retail (20H2) and the issue started after the first restart without having any drivers installed (including Synapse), I doubt that the issue is caused by it. I believe the issue is related to the driver that W10 is assigning to whether the mouse, or the keyboard, or both, or there is an issue with the firmware of one of them. Honestly I don't have patience anymore to find out which one.

Initially I thought it was related to my external DAC/AMP, but decided to start testing the Razer first. Synapse was already installed without any issues, but the M&KB had not been plugged yet. As soon as I plugged the Mouse & KB in and Synapse installed the drivers, in the first restart the slow boot was there again. After that, I uninstalled Synapse and restarted the PC, fast boot once more. Then I restarted again to make sure, slow boot again.

I did not waste time and made a new clean installation using another Mouse & KB. Result: No issues at all, fast and flawless installation, no slow boot (for about 10 resets) Cold War running buttery smooth and stutter free. All drivers/windows updates were installed and my boot is blazing fast.

I am in the process of reporting it to Razer and already have a ticket opened with ASUS support, this is a very serious and non-sense issue that everybody will struggle with and RMA a lot of boards, which is exactly what I was doing.

Please, we need admin support in this thread to get this out.