cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero non-wifi USB issues after fresh Win11 install

flyinion
Level 12
Just updated from Win10 to Win11 last weekend finally and today have been having some weird USB issues. Previously on 10, and also earlier this week on 11 if I unplugged my dongle for the SteelSeries Prime Wireless mouse from its cable to use the cable for charging it worked fine. Now today Windows wants to install a USB Composite device and reboot. If I then plug that cable back into the dongle after charging, it does the same thing all over again. If I go into Device Manager there are two "USB Composite Device" entries in "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section that under the "Events" tab state that "device (device name/string/etc) requires further installation". It's not marked as not working though, and trying an "update driver" does nothing. The board itself has no USB drivers so I don't think that's the issue. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm completely lost on this. If I switch the Windows user to another user while not logging out, the mouse also just completely disconnects and won't talk to the PC until one use is logged.

Edit: Looks like the two devices in device manager I was incorrect and the Events tab was on an entry from initial Win11 install so those are fine. Now I'm lost again.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Always check the support page for your device to see if there are drivers or software packages missing. Windows update doesn't always have everything, nor does it always have the most recent recommended software from ASUS.

Also note that on the support page you have the option to expand sections and there might be more things hidden in there.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Always check the support page for your device to see if there are drivers or software packages missing. Windows update doesn't always have everything, nor does it always have the most recent recommended software from ASUS.

Also note that on the support page you have the option to expand sections and there might be more things hidden in there.

Thanks, after a few days of troubleshooting and working with SteelSeries on this issue I've sort of found the problem but need them to analyze the logs etc I just sent them. It seems to be a conflict between their software and Microsoft including Windows Update automatically pushing down updates to the SteelSeries GG software. I figured it out after removing GG as per their instructions and reinstalling then reinstalling devices one at a time and testing each time. I had also used Driverstore Explorer from the big Realtek Driver update thread that's over in the Intel 600/700 forum that covers Realtek driver packages for all the ROG boards regardless of chipset to remove any leftover Steelseries components including some that I knew Windows had installed earlier in the week.

Last night after everything was working perfect I came back to the PC and found Windows Update had pushed down two software components that had older version numbers of already installed stuff by SteelSeries and wanted to reboot. Instantly the problem was back. I removed them with Driverstore Explorer again and it was fixed again. I told Device Installation Settings in Advanced System Settings to not automatically look for mfr. apps/icons and as a test told Windows Update to check for updates. It pulled that junk down again anyway and the problem was back. So one more removal and I went and grabbed the Wushowhide.cab utility from MS that lets you just flat out block specific Windows Updates and so for now I'm keeping those components from reinstalling.

Now I just need SteelSeries to figure out how to fix this permanently. There's no way I'm the only person that this could possibly affect. I'm not running some crazy installation. Just the SteelSeries software and a few of their peripherals, and this did not happen on Win10 at all. Same system, all USB devices were reinserted one at a time back into the same ports as on Win10 etc as I installed each peripheral again.

xeromist
Thanks for reporting back. I also have GG on my system but I have older hardware so thankfully Windows Update hasn't broken my setup.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

J_Bish
Level 10
Just a thought, but since a fresh install... Disconnect from internet, reinstall windows without connecting to internet, disable the windows driver downloads by

Navigating to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching and change the dword to "0"

Reboot

Use driver disk to install board drivers, or download prior to reinstall

Connect to internet

J Bish wrote:
Just a thought, but since a fresh install... Disconnect from internet, reinstall windows without connecting to internet, disable the windows driver downloads by

Navigating to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching and change the dword to "0"

Reboot

Use driver disk to install board drivers, or download prior to reinstall

Connect to internet

Well, it was fresh as in about a week old, I had everything reinstalled at this point when I originally posted lol. I did turn off the auto download of softare/drivers from the advanced system settings, but in this case it's Windows Update forcing the update down. The only way to stop it is wushowhide.cab utility and after more working with Steelseries and testing myself, it's not the software component that WU is pushing down, but the older "extension" revision for part of the software. Current Steelseries GG software installed 1.0.4.0 and windows update was installing 1.0.1.0 alongside it. If I keep that blocked, there's no issues. Now I'm waiting for their software team to investigate it.