cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero 5950X black screens giving me fits

78Staff
Level 7
I am about at my wits end on these "black screens" which require hard resetting, ie having to flip power supply power off/on to be able to restart. Tried 3904 and I want to say it got even worse. Back to 3801 and still only stays up for a few days at most.

Most recent was during a file transfer to an ext USB drive, but I can't say that is always the issue. Most times, it just happens while I am not at my computer. Easily occurring one or two times a week. I sit down at my pc and it's just dead. Nothing in event view that would signify any issue...

Specs in profile, never occurred when running a 3900X, only started happening after I changed to the 5950X. Complete windows re-install was performed when the CPU was upgraded. I don't recall if this started happening right away, or in later bios' to be honest. I'm back at 3801, but may go further back if anyone can recall a revision that doesn't blackscreen?

Mem has been checked with Karhu but I'm kicking off another test now... Have also reverted to optimized defaults (usually just run DCOP) for bios to see if that makes any difference.

Honestly, the CH8 has been a disappointment overall... I am considering jumping ship. I've been an ASUS guy forever, but willing to try something else if I can find something that is stable. Don't need OC'ing, just a stable system to work with video and image media, ie Lightroom, Photoshop, DxO, Premier, etc. No games, no OC...

What about the Aorus Elites? Are they stable wtih the 5950X and 4 dimms, or are these issues persistent across the AMD platform in the 5000 CPU series?
38 REPLIES 38

RedSector73 wrote:
SOC Voltage set it manual (assuming you have 4 dimms@DOCP 3600 - try below)
try 1.05v, 1.1v to a max of 1.15v

Leave the Vcore on auto.

@RedSector73 - OK, have set as above and will advise... may take a few days :)...

@anoriega211 - Leaving PBO on for now... if I continue to have issues I will start turning it off as well.

Thanks!

78Staff wrote:
@RedSector73 - OK, have set as above and will advise... may take a few days :)...

@anoriega211 - Leaving PBO on for now... if I continue to have issues I will start turning it off as well.

Thanks!

did you check your ddram temperatures. i have the same build as you. i had the same strange crashes after that i found it is related with my dram 32 gb of Bdies 3800 Cl 14 14 14 28 . They runs more than 50 C after that i put a smal fan on them then the temperatures goes down 40 C now i have really no problem. this fan fixed my issue please check your dram temps when the system has heavy loads.

78Staff wrote:

Thanks!

How's it been going so far 78Staff? Hopefully stable...

I still have PBO disabled but I bumped up my RAM back to the XMP profile so it's been @ DDR4-4000 for the last 3 days and no issues. Nice being stable for a change but I hope there's a way to overclock the CPU eventually and keep the stability!

anoriega211 wrote:
How's it been going so far 78Staff? Hopefully stable...

I still have PBO disabled but I bumped up my RAM back to the XMP profile so it's been @ DDR4-4000 for the last 3 days and no issues. Nice being stable for a change but I hope there's a way to overclock the CPU eventually and keep the stability!

Stable so far, been 4 days. PBO still enabled for me, basically the VSOC change @RedSector73 mentioned, running DCOP otherwise. Knock on wood...looking good so far :).

78Staff wrote:
Stable so far, been 4 days. PBO still enabled for me, basically the VSOC change @RedSector73 mentioned, running DCOP otherwise. Knock on wood...looking good so far :).

Well, I jinxed it I guess... black screen on day 5. But, this may have been an outlier, as it was not the norm. I was rebooting after a software install, and it booted to black screen and the tell-tale sign of no monitor output and keyboard link blinking. Still had to power off/on at the power supply to get it back though :(.

I've found a new video card, should be here next week - just going to wait and see if changing out the 5700XT makes any difference.

78Staff wrote:
Well, I jinxed it I guess... black screen on day 5. But, this may have been an outlier, as it was not the norm. I was rebooting after a software install, and it booted to black screen and the tell-tale sign of no monitor output and keyboard link blinking. Still had to power off/on at the power supply to get it back though :(.

I've found a new video card, should be here next week - just going to wait and see if changing out the 5700XT makes any difference.

No! Sorry to hear! There's folks over on the AMD forums hitting this too. Some think it's too much monitoring software (hwinfo, armoury crate, ryzen master, etc), others think some IMHO wilder things. I did see one guy who got his cpu/mobo replaced with like for like components and it stopped. I wish he had only gotten one or the other replaced to narrow it down. I'm toying with the idea of seeing if I can get my 5950x replaced under warranty as that's the top suspect in my mind. I've seen people with all flavors of mobos hit this issue, but all of them seem to have a Ryzen 9, whether 5950 or 5900.

78Staff wrote:

was that @ 1.1v, if so try 1.15v but don't go any higher. depending on BIOS, i've had to use the higher setting YMMV.

RedSector73 wrote:
was that @ 1.1v, if so try 1.15v but don't go any higher. depending on BIOS, i've had to use the higher setting YMMV.

Yes running 1.1v for SOC. New card should be here this week, so will see if it is related to the 5700XT at all (although, I ran same card with 3900x for close to 2 years and didn't have any issue like this)...

After two weeks my GPU has been returned to me by the retailer. After 2 weeks of constant testing and use they have found no fault in it to be causing this issue, they have advised me that it appears to be a motherboard issue and I've reached out to ASUS to sort this out.

I just read something about AGESA 1.2.0.4 and .5 having issues (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/agesa-1205-bugs-amd-ryzen) and to stick with 1.2.0.3c or 1.2.0.6b (which I just updated to, bios 4002). Maybe these black screens were because of the AGESA version because I remember running fine for months before and these suddenly starting. Could have been when I updated my bios but I never made the connection because the black screens took a while to happen, weren't instantly after.

I'm going to try turning PBO back on now that I'm running the new AGESA. Fingers crossed!